Who will fill the Blackberry void?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry is in its death throes. Once an icon of the corporate world, this much-loved smartphone is now making its exit. According to a recent report, BlackBerry?s market share has fallen below one percent in the United States and close to zero percent in China. T-Mobile is no longer stocking the brand in its stores.

According to Kantar Wordpanel ComTech, BlackBerry held market share of just 0.8% for the three months ended Oct. 31. The news is worse in China, where the Canadian company now has no share of the market. BlackBerry?s strongest showing is in Great Britain at 3.3%.

Got info from these two stories.

http://www.workintelligent.ly/techno...t=dailymail-us

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...zero-in-china/

Thanks to Shilohcane for suggesting this thread topic.

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
No one needs to fill it! Their phones are obsolete!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Sad to hear. Wet had some good days! Who will fill that void? I don't have a guess.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone will continue to grow. But FireFox and Ubuntu have a small shot especially Ubuntu who can definitely corner the high end market if they put out some top of the line phones out.

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Paul for starting the thread. If anyone read the first news link it said;

Windows Phone platform seems poised to step into the enterprise gap vacated by BlackBerry. Exchange messaging, Lync, and ActiveSync go hand-in-hand with Windows Phone devices, as Microsoft looks to exploit its strong enterprise business profile into mobile.

I don't have a Windows phone nor do I ever see myself getting one. I spent the last 18 years working for a IBM/HP/Microsoft reseller and have seen former CEO of Microsoft Steve Ballme pitch the Windows phone as the new Blackberry killer. I have seen a lot of corporate executives that want a phone designed for business not games/social media... etc.

I'm not making any predictions who will take over Blackberry's market. I do think Microsoft has a inside track now if they play their cards right having their software running inside these corporation's IT servers. Maybe Blackberry can make a comeback for all I know. I'm not even sure Windows will take a market share before Microsoft gives up like HP's webOS. However I just don't see a market place for Apple, Android, Windows and Blackberry and the only open market spot seems to be the one Backberry is declining in new phone sales.

What is other people's opinion here on who will win the business phone market?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone will continue to grow. But FireFox and Ubuntu have a small shot especially Ubuntu who can definitely corner the high end market if they put out some top of the line phones out.

Mozilla is focusing its efforts on delivering low-cost phones aimed at connecting the next billion people. Mozilla's new mid-range phone Flame is $170 with Firefox OS and it is going head to head with Moto E & G.

The first Ubuntu phones will launch in the fall of this year. Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth already claims the software "outperforms" Microsoft. But, according to this their target market is typically younger, typically edgier, typically more conscious of what's new and cool -- and less likely to buy from a bulk manufacturer from this article. First Ubuntu phones go on sale in fall, Mark Shuttleworth reveals - CNET

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I never owned a BlackBerry phone and oddly enough I'll miss them

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I can see Windows probably filling the gap the easiest. Already established in making phones, people will probably go to them out of brand recognition over Mozilla or Ubuntu.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I think I will miss crackberry more than blackberry! I like causing trouble over there!😄

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think I will miss crackberry more than blackberry! I like causing trouble over there!😄

CrackBerry, home of the most loyal rabid fans ever.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I just got back from London. Consensus: a lot of corporate types are now using Samsungs and iPhones, with a smattering of legacy BlackBerries.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am someone who has had a lot of BlackBerry phones over the years. My last one was the Z10. It's a nice phone and I miss some of the features over my currrent Droid Maxx. What drove me away was my company (who at one time had thousands of BB worldwide) BYOD. I went with the Droid Maxx because i was tired of "sideloading" apps. I think BB got behind the market place and will have a real hard time making a comeback in the hand set market. I do think they will make money as a software service company(QNX). Who will fill the void? It's has already been filled by Android and Apple. Windows Phone will always be the also ran. I tried one for about a week (WP 8) and it really wasn't very good and there I was right back in the "App Gap" One never knows what is going to happen but I don't see Tizen (Although Sammy has the bucks to push it) or Ubuntu making any huge inroads anytime soon. The Carriers control any new entries and that is where Samsung might have a leg up. Anywhay it will be fun to watch.

raymaane

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
CrackBerry, home of the most loyal rabid fans ever.

I still miss the forums over at Crackberry. That'll be the sad part.I do miss seeing BBs in everyone's hands. iPhone has filled that gap..

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I still miss the forums over at Crackberry. That'll be the sad part.I do miss seeing BBs in everyone's hands. iPhone has filled that gap..

I liked CrackBerry forums too. But the fans got more aggressive and anti anything apple or Google so mentioning anything not Blackberry and you were attacked by the mob mentality.

I think with BlackBerry 10 device not doing well and Blackberry having a bad 2013 the fans are just hurt and scared that BlackBerry may not pull out of their own demise.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had only one BB the 8330.I did notice some aggressive blackberry fans , anti anything but blackberry too.I was only a short time member there though joined crackberry in early 2009 I think and by june 2009 joined android central :)
I dont know if anything will replace it or it it just fades away since obviously its no longer a high in demand device

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've used iPhone and Android since the iPhone 2g and just recently got a BlackBerry to try it out, a Z10, and it's by far the best out right now. I have also used windows phone a lot but never owned one.

I have tried going back to iPhone and Android but I won't willingly, they just aren't as good overall as BlackBerry 10.

What is so superior about BlackBerry 10 honestly? Is it the hub?

CannedBullets

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Blackberry will ditch the software business and start making Android and/or Windows phones. I don't think they'd get the same level of support Microsoft gives Nokia though.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Blackberry will ditch the software business and start making Android and/or Windows phones. I don't think they'd get the same level of support Microsoft gives Nokia though.

Anything is better than what they have now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc