Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Who will fill the Blackberry void?

BlackBerry is in its death throes. Once an icon of the corporate world, this much-loved smartphone is now making its exit. According to a recent report, BlackBerry’s market share has fallen below one percent in the United States and close to zero percent in China. T-Mobile is no longer stocking the brand in its stores.

According to Kantar Wordpanel ComTech, BlackBerry held market share of just 0.8% for the three months ended Oct. 31. The news is worse in China, where the Canadian company now has no share of the market. BlackBerry’s strongest showing is in Great Britain at 3.3%.

Got info from these two stories.

http://www.workintelligent.ly/techno...t=dailymail-us

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...zero-in-china/

Thanks to Shilohcane for suggesting this thread topic.
    Shilohcane and Spencerdl like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Default Re: Who will fill the Blackberry void?

No one needs to fill it! Their phones are obsolete!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

Sad to hear. Wet had some good days! Who will fill that void? I don't have a guess.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Windows Phone will continue to grow. But FireFox and Ubuntu have a small shot especially Ubuntu who can definitely corner the high end market if they put out some top of the line phones out.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks Paul for starting the thread. If anyone read the first news link it said;

Windows Phone platform seems poised to step into the enterprise gap vacated by BlackBerry. Exchange messaging, Lync, and ActiveSync go hand-in-hand with Windows Phone devices, as Microsoft looks to exploit its strong enterprise business profile into mobile.
    I don't have a Windows phone nor do I ever see myself getting one. I spent the last 18 years working for a IBM/HP/Microsoft reseller and have seen former CEO of Microsoft Steve Ballme pitch the Windows phone as the new Blackberry killer. I have seen a lot of corporate executives that want a phone designed for business not games/social media... etc.

I'm not making any predictions who will take over Blackberry's market. I do think Microsoft has a inside track now if they play their cards right having their software running inside these corporation's IT servers. Maybe Blackberry can make a comeback for all I know. I'm not even sure Windows will take a market share before Microsoft gives up like HP's webOS. However I just don't see a market place for Apple, Android, Windows and Blackberry and the only open market spot seems to be the one Backberry is declining in new phone sales.

What is other people's opinion here on who will win the business phone market?

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    Windows Phone will continue to grow. But FireFox and Ubuntu have a small shot especially Ubuntu who can definitely corner the high end market if they put out some top of the line phones out.

Mozilla is focusing its efforts on delivering low-cost phones aimed at connecting the next billion people. Mozilla's new mid-range phone Flame is $170 with Firefox OS and it is going head to head with Moto E & G.

The first Ubuntu phones will launch in the fall of this year. Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth already claims the software "outperforms" Microsoft. But, according to this their target market is typically younger, typically edgier, typically more conscious of what's new and cool -- and less likely to buy from a bulk manufacturer from this article. First Ubuntu phones go on sale in fall, Mark Shuttleworth reveals - CNET
    Paul627g likes this.

I never owned a BlackBerry phone and oddly enough I'll miss them

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    anon8380037 and petaf like this.

Global Posts
    30,093 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I can see Windows probably filling the gap the easiest. Already established in making phones, people will probably go to them out of brand recognition over Mozilla or Ubuntu.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

I figure Android and IOS will fill in most of the gap with Windows Phone may be gaining just a tiny bit.

That's what has happened over the last few years where I work (large enterprise). Even though we are predominately a Windows shop (most servers and virtually all workstations), mobile device use is split about 50/50 between Android and IOS and may be a couple Windows Phones. No BlackBerry phones anymore.
    Banned

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

I think I will miss crackberry more than blackberry! I like causing trouble over there!😄

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy13 View Post
    I think I will miss crackberry more than blackberry! I like causing trouble over there!😄

CrackBerry, home of the most loyal rabid fans ever.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts

I just got back from London. Consensus: a lot of corporate types are now using Samsungs and iPhones, with a smattering of legacy BlackBerries.
    A895 likes this.

I am someone who has had a lot of BlackBerry phones over the years. My last one was the Z10. It's a nice phone and I miss some of the features over my currrent Droid Maxx. What drove me away was my company (who at one time had thousands of BB worldwide) BYOD. I went with the Droid Maxx because i was tired of "sideloading" apps. I think BB got behind the market place and will have a real hard time making a comeback in the hand set market. I do think they will make money as a software service company(QNX). Who will fill the void? It's has already been filled by Android and Apple. Windows Phone will always be the also ran. I tried one for about a week (WP 8) and it really wasn't very good and there I was right back in the "App Gap" One never knows what is going to happen but I don't see Tizen (Although Sammy has the bucks to push it) or Ubuntu making any huge inroads anytime soon. The Carriers control any new entries and that is where Samsung might have a leg up. Anywhay it will be fun to watch.
    A895 and raymaane like this.

CrackBerry, home of the most loyal rabid fans ever.

I still miss the forums over at Crackberry. That'll be the sad part.I do miss seeing BBs in everyone's hands. iPhone has filled that gap..

Quote Originally Posted by raymaane View Post
    I still miss the forums over at Crackberry. That'll be the sad part.I do miss seeing BBs in everyone's hands. iPhone has filled that gap..

I liked CrackBerry forums too. But the fans got more aggressive and anti anything apple or Google so mentioning anything not Blackberry and you were attacked by the mob mentality.

I think with BlackBerry 10 device not doing well and Blackberry having a bad 2013 the fans are just hurt and scared that BlackBerry may not pull out of their own demise.

I had only one BB the 8330.I did notice some aggressive blackberry fans , anti anything but blackberry too.I was only a short time member there though joined crackberry in early 2009 I think and by june 2009 joined android central
    I dont know if anything will replace it or it it just fades away since obviously its no longer a high in demand device
    A895 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    Who will fill the Blackberry void?
    There's a void?

World seems to be doing fine without BB as far as I can tell.
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    There's a void?

World seems to be doing fine without BB as far as I can tell.
    True. It seems fans over on CrackBerry are still stuck in their old ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BK_NY_RAY View Post
    I've used iPhone and Android since the iPhone 2g and just recently got a BlackBerry to try it out, a Z10, and it's by far the best out right now. I have also used windows phone a lot but never owned one.

I have tried going back to iPhone and Android but I won't willingly, they just aren't as good overall as BlackBerry 10.

What is so superior about BlackBerry 10 honestly? Is it the hub?

Maybe Blackberry will ditch the software business and start making Android and/or Windows phones. I don't think they'd get the same level of support Microsoft gives Nokia though.

Quote Originally Posted by CannedBullets View Post
    Maybe Blackberry will ditch the software business and start making Android and/or Windows phones. I don't think they'd get the same level of support Microsoft gives Nokia though.
    Anything is better than what they have now.

What is so superior about BlackBerry 10 honestly? Is it the hub?

For me, it's a combination of things. The email application, hub attachments, gesture control, battery life, sound quality, the flicking keyboard, and bbm video. The app situation is pretty good for my use. It has the apps I really need. The flavour of the month apps can easily installed via Amazon Market or Snap/Google Play client. I also find that the underlying OS, QNX, integrates very nicely in my Dodge which also runs on QNX.

What also keeps me is privacy. I really can't stand that Android doesn't allow you to turn individual app permission settings off. For example, with BlackBerry 10 app, I can disable an app from having access to my location or camera or mic. But with Android, you have to accept all the app wants access to or else.

Everyone has different needs. Having used iOS, and Android, I prefer BlackBerry 10. But I'm open to change if another OS can make my life easier or more productive.

Also, my employer, a bank, doesn't allow us to use Android. Only BlackBerry 10, legacy BlackBerry, and iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

The techs where I work use to be supplied with blackberries. They are now using iPhones. Companies are seeing how out of date blackberries are.

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    For me, it's a combination of things. The email application, hub attachments, gesture control, battery life, sound quality, the flicking keyboard, and bbm video. The app situation is pretty good for my use. It has the apps I really need. The flavour of the month apps can easily installed via Amazon Market or Snap/Google Play client. I also find that the underlying OS, QNX, integrates very nicely in my Dodge which also runs on QNX.

What also keeps me is privacy. I really can't stand that Android doesn't allow you to turn individual app permission settings off. For example, with BlackBerry 10 app, I can disable an app from having access to my location or camera or mic. But with Android, you have to accept all the app wants access to or else.

Everyone has different needs. Having used iOS, and Android, I prefer BlackBerry 10. But I'm open to change if another OS can make my life easier or more productive.

Also, my employer, a bank, doesn't allow us to use Android. Only BlackBerry 10, legacy BlackBerry, and iPhone.

You may find those things are what pulls you to a BlackBerry and everyone is able to choose what they want for their own personal device, but in my opinion there is nothing really superior about BlackBerry that would make someone get one. The sense of security I suppose is different, but even then you are only really secure using a blackberry with BES. Even then I see nothing truly superior to other platforms.

You may find those things are what pulls you to a BlackBerry and everyone is able to choose what they want for their own personal device, but in my opinion there is nothing really superior about BlackBerry that would make someone get one. The sense of security I suppose is different, but even then you are only really secure using a blackberry with BES. Even then I see nothing truly superior to other platforms.

Agreed. I don't think there is any platform that is better than other. I guess that is the issue. They all have pros and cons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast