LG G3 vs HTC One M8 vs Lumia 1020 vs (future) Note 4

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't sure where to put this so I decided to put it here. Mods can move it to a better place if it needs to be moved. :)

Anyway, I am due for an upgrade and I am thinking about getting the LG G3 or the HTC One M8 but I want to see what you guys say about the devices.

Here are my Pros & Cons for each.
LG G3-
Pros:
1) 4 buttons at the bottom
2) 5.5 inch screen (I want a bigger phone than 5 inches with this upgrade)
3) Popup messages that you can reply to that do this BY DEFAULT
4) Removable/Replacable Battery
5) MicroSD Card Slot
6) Never used it on my S4 but it is cool... Wireless Charging
7) Takes the same SIM card as my S4 (Micro) so if I were to return or something happened to it I could easily put it back in my S4.

Cons:
1) Speaker on the back. Tired of my S4 with that speaker.
2) Review on PocketNow states that default Weather app is usually wrong. I liked that weather app.
3) Buttons on the back. Not sure about those.
4) Never used it on my S4 but it is cool... No NFC

HTC One M8
Pros:
1) Speakers on the front
2) HTC phones last forever!
3) MicroSD Card Slot

Cons:
1) Only 3 buttons on the bottom
2) Never used it on my S4 but it is cool... No Wireless Charging
3) Since it takes a smaller SIM card (Nano), I can't switch back and forth between my S4 if something happened to the One M8.
4) Stupid HTC bar that does nothing and will confuse the living HELL out of me until I get used to the device.

As you can tell from the Pros & Cons list I am leaning more towards the LG G3 but the speaker is killing me. I hate having to place my phone down on it's face in order to hear the speaker how it is supposed to be...or cup my hand to hear it in a restaurant or busy place.

I am also considering the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 when it comes out but I am impatient and not sure I can wait that long. Lol. Plus, I wanted to try and get away from Samsung with this upgrade. I've owned their S3 & S4 and have major problems with Touchwiz/hardware that is in them. BOTH versions I've had major issues.

Also, considering the Nokia Lumia 1020. While T-Mobile doesn't sell this, I could purchase it outright and use it. Reason why I don't is because I am an indecisive person so I like the customization that Android has BUT I owned the HTC HD7 (Windows 7/Vista device) and actually kept that phone for 2-years...as opposed to the 6 months to 1 year of the devices since.

Anyway, I wanted to know what y'all think. In your opinion, from what I have put here, Which phone do you think I should get? I want to make it one I will not return within the first 14 days. I want to try and keep it for 2-years as well and that is hard with the Android OS becoming outdated so fast.

Sent from my p7-1534 using Tapatalk

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I would go with the G3. I like the back buttons and have already decided to get the G3 or Xperia Z2.

BTW, the G3 does have NFC. It also has OIS+, dual LED flash & laser auto focus.

You might also want to consider the Xperia Z2. It's water resistant, has a very good camera and great build quality.

--Edit--
What do you mean by outdated Android OS? Are you talking about updates? If so, that's an OEM and carrier issue. Most flagship devices receive updates for a reasonable amount of time.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP

Last edited:

kd0h

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean 3 buttons on the bottom vs 4 buttons in the bottom?

Posted via Android Central App

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I would go with the G3. I like the back buttons and have already decided to get the G3 or Xperia Z2.

BTW, the G3 does have NFC. It also has OIS+, dual LED flash & laser auto focus.

You might also want to consider the Xperia Z2. It's water resistant, has a very good camera and great build quality.

--Edit--
What do you mean by outdated Android OS? Are you talking about updates? If so, that's an OEM and carrier issue. Most flagship devices receive updates for a reasonable amount of time.

I meant the hardware not the OS though after a year the OS on flagships get slower and eventually stop.

the xperia z2 doesn't have the features I want. though I have looked at it.

& it does have NFC? oh awesome. what is ois?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll get the G3 IF AND ONLY IF it comes to Verizon with 3GB RAM and 32GB storage.

Posted via Android Central App

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I meant the hardware not the OS though after a year the OS on flagships get slower and eventually stop.

the xperia z2 doesn't have the features I want. though I have looked at it.

& it does have NFC? oh awesome. what is ois?

The specs on all flagships are surpassed within a few months. It's best to just pick a phone that has the best combination of features you want.

OIS is optical image stabilization. The G3 has improved OIS which is supposed to offset shaky hands and movement while walking.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The specs on all flagships are surpassed within a few months. It's best to just pick a phone that has the best combination of features you want.

OIS is optical image stabilization. The G3 has improved OIS which is supposed to offset shaky hands and movement while walking.

That's true....

Do you have the g2 I am wanting to know how the buttons on the back are.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
That's true....

Do you have the g2 I am wanting to know how the buttons on the back are.

Yeah, I've had the G2 for ~7 months. I really like the back buttons. More convenient than side buttons and you can launch the camera and quick memo from the volume buttons. I also like the notification LED ring around the power button.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I've had the G2 for ~7 months. I really like the back buttons. More convenient than side buttons and you can launch the camera and quick memo from the volume buttons. I also like the notification LED ring around the power button.

I forgot about how the led is on the back. Is there one on the front too?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Out of your choices, The 1520 has the best camera. Period. OIS 20Mp Pureview Carl Zeiss Lenses that will allow you to save RAW pic images. Think of raw if uncompressed image quality like .wav files. I have the 1520 and it is one of the best phones I have ever owned. AT&T version does not have Qi Charge but supports PMA wireless by case, but if you invested already in Qi, it's a no go. Windows Phone 8.1 is very nice, although limits customization compare to Android. If you're into heavy customization and Root, WP simply is not for you. I, however, prefer WP OS over Android, even though I'm using the M8 because of the app issue still lingering on WP, but not as much a gap as a year ago.

The build quality of the 1520 is top notch. Don't let the nano sim scare you off, as even though it's a pain, can still be replaced at the store. It does support 128GB cards so you don't lose on that and also supports NFC.

The M8 is a great phone too. I was going back in forth for the longest between that and my wife's S5. The M8 also takes nano Sim card too so you might want to think about that if that's an issue for you. Using wireless charging, I found it's not a deal breaker at all. With all the fighting between Qi and PMA, Ive decided not to invest to heavily until there's an outcome of a winner. The camera on the m8 is subject to debate, but I have used the camera and the low light has been absolutely remarkable and the MP debate is no use with me. HOWEVER, as I said the 1520 is unmatched between your choices of phones and create the best low light quality pic with the smallest noise I have seen in any smartphone I have ever own.

Don't forget the M8 will also come with an IR blaster. The 1520 is running 800 Snapdragon, but don't let that discourage you as WP utilizes battery consumption as good as the 801 running Android. Both have 2GB ram. M8 defaults with 32GB but 1520 with 16GB. The 6 inch screen on the 1520 is beautiful and doesn't feel big in my hand.

If I can offer more insight, please let me know. If you want to know what I choose between the two, I honestly, can't. You're never gonna be satisfied as everything offers something the other don't. I will say if you apps are absolute for you, check out the sister WPCentral about apps, but be forewarned, there's some serious fanboys on that site, but the forums can be very resourceful.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Out of your choices, The 1520 has the best camera. Period. OIS 20Mp Pureview Carl Zeiss Lenses that will allow you to save RAW pic images. Think of raw if uncompressed image quality like .wav files. I have the 1520 and it is one of the best phones I have ever owned. AT&T version does not have Qi Charge but supports PMA wireless by case, but if you invested already in Qi, it's a no go. Windows Phone 8.1 is very nice, although limits customization compare to Android. If you're into heavy customization and Root, WP simply is not for you. I, however, prefer WP OS over Android, even though I'm using the M8 because of the app issue still lingering on WP, but not as much a gap as a year ago.

The build quality of the 1520 is top notch. Don't let the nano sim scare you off, as even though it's a pain, can still be replaced at the store. It does support 128GB cards so you don't lose on that and also supports NFC.

The M8 is a great phone too. I was going back in forth for the longest between that and my wife's S5. The M8 also takes nano Sim card too so you might want to think about that if that's an issue for you. Using wireless charging, I found it's not a deal breaker at all. With all the fighting between Qi and PMA, Ive decided not to invest to heavily until there's an outcome of a winner. The camera on the m8 is subject to debate, but I have used the camera and the low light has been absolutely remarkable and the MP debate is no use with me. HOWEVER, as I said the 1520 is unmatched between your choices of phones and create the best low light quality pic with the smallest noise I have seen in any smartphone I have ever own.

Don't forget the M8 will also come with an IR blaster. The 1520 is running 800 Snapdragon, but don't let that discourage you as WP utilizes battery consumption as good as the 801 running Android. Both have 2GB ram. M8 defaults with 32GB but 1520 with 16GB. The 6 inch screen on the 1520 is beautiful and doesn't feel big in my hand.

If I can offer more insight, please let me know. If you want to know what I choose between the two, I honestly, can't. You're never gonna be satisfied as everything offers something the other don't. I will say if you apps are absolute for you, check out the sister WPCentral about apps, but be forewarned, there's some serious fanboys on that site, but the forums can be very resourceful.
Thank you that actually helped a lot. Actually made me not want the 1520...Lol

Now I think I am stuck between the g3 or HTC on m8

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you that actually helped a lot. Actually made me not want the 1520...Lol

Now I think I am stuck between the g3 or HTC on m8

I'm not going to lie, I hope I don't have buyers remorse when that G3 comes out. I'm big screen guy. The quality of the M8 made me look past the screen size but 5.5 would be my minimal. I am concern that AT&T will opt for the 2 GB 32. Considering the QHD, I would hope it comes with the 3 GB RAM. I don't know about LG UI. I never used it. But Sense 6.0 is light and great on RAM resources.

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not going to lie, I hope I don't have buyers remorse when that G3 comes out. I'm big screen guy. The quality of the M8 made me look past the screen size but 5.5 would be my minimal. I am concern that AT&T will opt for the 2 GB 32. Considering the QHD, I would hope it comes with the 3 GB RAM. I don't know about LG UI. I never used it. But Sense 6.0 is light and great on RAM resources.
Yeah I know what you mean. I think I may wait for the official YouTube videos just for that reason. I want to see what people say about it. Supposedly there is a purple version? That's actually kind of cool.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital