Editorial: Galaxy S5 Already Obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
lol. All purely speculative. Thanks for sharing the article but I wasted my time reading that.

I'm all about Android, own an S4, and will be upgrading to the 32GB LG G3 but I have a feeling the iPhone 6 is a culmination of every brilliant engineering mind in Asia. I wouldn't buy an iPhone if it wiped my rear and cooked me dinner. But the non-bloggers in my opinion will be all over it. If LG knew how to advertise, the G3 would be the hottest selling phone of 2014.

Posted via Android Central App

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
"Apple... customers never have to fear unwittingly buying a product that'll become obsolete in just a few months' time. "
Until Android comes out with something to one up it. I see this all the time with all the iPhones in my office.

I actually like it when Apple gets ahead of Android. Then Android out does Apple. Then Apple ups Android. And so on. It benefits us, the consumer.

I didn't read the rest of the article, it was all apple fan based from the beginning.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
"Apple... customers never have to fear unwittingly buying a product that'll become obsolete in just a few months' time. "
Until Android comes out with something to one up it. I see this all the time with all the iPhones in my office.

I actually like it when Apple gets ahead of Android. Then Android out does Apple. Then Apple ups Android. And so on. It benefits us, the consumer.

I didn't read the rest of the article, it was all apple fan based from the beginning.

I see the Apple bias, but personally I believe Android, because variants are frequently made, will always have one up on the iPhone. The top Android devices of 2014, even the S4, easily out-do the iPhone 5S and I firmly believe the LG G3 and Note 4 will surpass the iPhone 6. I passed up my upgrade to the S5 simply because Samsung failed to break new ground with the S5. The G3 and Note 4 however, will be Android's phones of the year. I'm not an athlete so I could care less about the health apps that went into the S5.

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
You can make an argument that every tech product is obsolete when it's released. The S5 is a fantastic phone. And soon it will be updated with something even better. Everyone knows this.

rc75149

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
You can make an argument that every tech product is obsolete when it's released. The S5 is a fantastic phone. And soon it will be updated with something even better. Everyone knows this.

Yes sir, soon as the iPhone 6 comes out there will be talks about the 7 or 6s.

So tired about hearing coverage about iPhone and a bigger screen day in and day out.

jdmorin

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
That was an interesting article. I think it's a little off base though.

First off, I had an Apple 4S. I'll admit. I enjoyed it. Also, I had a Galaxy S3, and hated it (the battery life was brutal). Last week, I traded in my Blackberry Z10 for a Galaxy S5 and love it. I also had an Acer Liquid and some older LG Android Phone (back in like.. 1.6 or something like that). So I've had my fair share of phones over the last 10 years. I've tried them all, and sure I may love Android, I

I knew I was going to upgrade my phone, and I knew that I could wait a few more months and get a shiny new iPhone 6, or the larger variant that they have been talking about. I always do my research when buying a new piece of technology, so I know what I'm getting. I was initially on the fence between the current iPhone and the Galaxy. I went with the Galaxy and don't regret it.

Why? Easy of use, and overall ability to customize just about everything on it - a lot more than the iPhone.. And the battery life.. I know so many people with iPhones and they all complain about the battery life (a week into my S5, and I love how long my battery lasts).

I don't think that the S5 is outdated or 'obsolete'... I think it's smack on.

People said the same about Blackberry and the Z10 and Q10, that it was outdated.. that it wasn't a quad-core, and it didn't have this and didn't have that. But at the end of the day, do you NEED a quad core.. do you need 4 gigs of ram? Maybe yes, maybe no.

When I got my Z10 I was going from the Galaxy S3.. So build-wise, it was a 'downgrade'. But I didn't see it like that. The Z10 was fast, and did what I needed it.

I feel that companies like Apple and LG and Samsung force feed us by telling us 'Look, I'll put a billion cores in the phone and you NEED it so BUY it' (obviously not a billion cores, but anyway..).. So we have the PERCEPTION that more is better.. But look at the iPhone... they pack these things with better and better, but at a cost.. Higher prices.. And, definitely, poor battery life.

So ya, maybe I got off topic there. But I think each person needs to make a decision on what they want, need and would like to have out of their devices. Don't let companies force feed you and tell you. For a lot of us here, obviously, the Galaxy S5 fit the bill. I'd never trade it for an iPhone.

Hopefully this rant has made sense :)

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
The S5 will be a great phone for years to come, just like the S3 is still one of the best phones out there. Don't believe the hype, this article is written out of frustration at best and is vindictive at worst.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even bother to click as soon as I saw it was a Motley Fool article. They may have decent general investing advice, but they have no clue when it comes to technology.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Motely Fool is a unabashed Apple fanboy blog and they don't even pretend to hide that fact. Another "Android BAD, Apple GOOD" article.

Nothing to see here....

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Makes no difference to me as I upgrade every 4-6 months anyway. LOL

Do you want to know what's really shocking? I love my S5 so much that I may keep it even longer...we'll see how the LG G3 goes but keep it mind I sold to power houses, the M8 and Z2.

Pro S5

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Buyer beware, do your homework. Samsung makes close together device launches and so does Sony. I have no issue with it. I bought the Z1, the Z2 came out 6 months later with some nice improvements, but I decided to pass on it knowing I only have to wait until this Fall and I'll get a Z3. No biggie, I'm fine with a 1 year wait even if it means skipping one iteration that year. I don't need to update every 6 months.

For those of you who don't upgrade once/year, yeah I guess I can see you being miffed at this, but like I said in the first sentence, you should have known about this going into your purchase and chosen a brand with farther apart launch cycles if it bothers you. Even then, if it's that big a deal to you, just sell your current device on Ebay or Gazelle for something.

Disclaimer: I do get to satisfy my new toy urges because I get to play with new launches of most brands for 3 weeks at a time

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Samsung's drop in profits has nothing to do with the Galaxy S5 supposedly being "obsolete," but rather a combination of increased competition in the low/mid range markets in Europe and Asia, a strong Korean Won, massively inflated marketing budget, and Samsung's own missteps when it comes to product development of smaller tablets (further impacted by their own creation, the phablet).

Samsung's quarterly earnings are an interesting topic, but not relevant to what we're discussing here.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not an athlete so I could care less about the health apps that went into the S5.

Well, the health apps on the S5 are not designed for athletes anyway. They are designed for people who like to pretend to be athletic.

The article makes a valid point, but is using an invalid example. Android phones are never supported all that long except Nexus. But it's not obsolete until support ends and that hasn't happened with the S5. The hardware is certainly not obsolete. Just because there is better hardware out there doesn't make it obsolete. Fans of tiny 4" phones with an OS that can't multitask ought to know that.

We all buy phones for different reasons, but the fact is that if you want the best and longest support iPhones are the way to go. It's also why they hold their value so much better. It may be outdated, but so long as it is supported it is not obsolete. Android tends to be the opposite, where the devices are obsolete before the hardware is beyond its useful life. It's my biggest gripe with Android, but the advantage is Android develops new technolgies at a much faster pace, so I take the good with the bad.

guitarfish

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
ob·so·lete
adjective

1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.

IMO, the author doesn't make his case for the claim of obsolescence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463