Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Well, after much consideration, I may actually have to leave Windows Phone behind. With the addition of the virtual machine that aims to use Android apps on Windows RT and Windows Phone to close the app gap, I've lost a lot of love for Windows Phone. I'm not okay with Android quality apps mucking up my experience (Namely because of the drastic difference in user interface, not trying to start a debate about which phone has better apps, that could go on forever.) and I feel in doing so, they've eliminated a lot of the desire to build apps for Windows Phone. I mean, why build for Windows Phone if you could build for Android and have it run on Windows Phone? We wouldn't have our beautiful applications that we do today as a result and that ruins a lot of the point of Windows Phone for me.

    Through time, I've felt that Windows Phone was the best OS. I mean, there's no denying I believe from any party that Nokia builds some premium hardware and they've always kept the OS fluid and responsive, even on processors that were seriously outdated upon release. It's maintained one of the best keyboards throughout Mobile History and with the introduction of WP 8.1 has arguably the best. As far as the OS goes as a stand alone, I don't feel it can be beat but I don't want to see it mucked up so much with Android apps.

    So, at this point, I'm deciding between Android and iOS. Ultimately, it comes down to who has the best cards on the table with L and the new iOS version. Right now, I'm leaning towards iPhone becase I need high quality hardware but not so much so that I'm not to be swayed. I'll be taking a look at the LG G3 this Friday and I'll be waiting on the next big Motorola release. It's hard to find an Android OEM that's comparable to Nokia/RIM/Apple though so I'm hard pressed as to where to go from here.

    Anyway, it's largely unimportant to most but I just thought I'd admit my defeat. I'm still of the opinion that Samsung is the worst company ever but ultimately, they're not the whole OS.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Nexus.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Nexus.
    Not terribly impressed with the build quality, camera or battery.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Knowing what little I do about you, I have a feeling you'll be happier with an iPhone.
    JeffDenver and A895 like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    Knowing what little I do about you, I have a feeling you'll be happier with an iPhone.
    or blackberry. that'll teach him.
    A895 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    or blackberry. that'll teach him.
    No, Blackberry made the very mistake that I'll likely be dumping Windows for.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    No, Blackberry made the very mistake that I'll likely be dumping Windows for.
    what's that? making a [inappropriate language removed by moderators] product?
    Last edited by Darth Spock; 07-09-2014 at 06:24 PM.
  8. #8  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    iPhone.

    No, really. I don't think you'd be happy with Android. You value priority on UI smoothness, and polished apps. Apple shines in those areas.

    Android is not for everyone. Just almost everyone.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Judging by the bias that's all over your post, seems to me that you've already made up your mind and you're getting an iPhone and you just want to stir up the pot a little bit and kick a bee's nest. What's the point?
    JeffDenver, A895 and LightaDroid like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Judging by the bias that's all over your post, seems to me that you've already made up your mind and you're getting an iPhone and you just want to stir up the pot a little bit and kick a bee's nest. What's the point?
    Not the case at all. Apple has fixed my biggest issue which was their atrocious keyboard but ultimately, I'm still not fond of the static UI. That's why I'm waiting to get my hands on Android L and the new iOS as I want to see if either of them have ironed out enough issues to make it as cohesive an OS as Windows Phone is.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    But you contradict yourself..... You say you are not fond of the static UI that Apple throws at us, but then knock on Android because the app experience is so varied (or mucked up, as you call it). What do you want, homogeny or variety? You can't have both.

    Why not just wait for Nokia to release their rumored Android phone, if you think Nokia is the end-all when it comes to hardware? Sure, it'd be 'mucked up' with Android, but at least you got one of the things you miss.
    JeffDenver and A895 like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    But you contradict yourself..... You say you are not fond of the static UI that Apple throws at us, but then knock on Android because the app experience is so varied (or mucked up, as you call it). What do you want, homogeny or variety? You can't have both.

    Why not just wait for Nokia to release their rumored Android phone, if you think Nokia is the end-all when it comes to hardware? Sure, it'd be 'mucked up' with Android, but at least you got one of the things you miss.
    Android has a static UI too... I've just grown accustomed to the uniformity across the OS with Windows Phone that you can't get elsewhere since both other major OSes have recently gone through heavy design changes.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Android has a static UI too...
    ?? It's anything BUT static... from OEM to OEM... theme engines, lock screens, launchers, you name it... you can pretty much change anything and everything.
    A895 likes this.
  14. #14  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Android has a static UI too...
    LOL!

    Android has the least static UI of any platform out right now.
    A895 likes this.
  15. #15  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,363 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Not terribly impressed with the build quality, camera or battery.
    It sounds to me like you should get an iPhone. Reading your OP and the above comment I feel like you would be best served by an iPhone. You will probably start nitpicking Android very quickly.
    JeffDenver and A895 like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    It sounds to me like you should get an iPhone. Reading your OP and the above comment I feel like you would be best served by an iPhone. You will probably start nitpicking Android very quickly.
    I have Android and have been using Android since the G1 but they are very hit and miss with their devices and they don't really have any OEMs building hardware with great build quality.
  17. #17  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,511 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,557 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Well, after much consideration, I may actually have to leave Windows Phone behind. With the addition of the virtual machine that aims to use Android apps on Windows RT and Windows Phone to close the app gap, I've lost a lot of love for Windows Phone. I'm not okay with Android quality apps mucking up my experience (Namely because of the drastic difference in user interface, not trying to start a debate about which phone has better apps, that could go on forever.) and I feel in doing so, they've eliminated a lot of the desire to build apps for Windows Phone. I mean, why build for Windows Phone if you could build for Android and have it run on Windows Phone? We wouldn't have our beautiful applications that we do today as a result and that ruins a lot of the point of Windows Phone for me.

    Through time, I've felt that Windows Phone was the best OS. I mean, there's no denying I believe from any party that Nokia builds some premium hardware and they've always kept the OS fluid and responsive, even on processors that were seriously outdated upon release. It's maintained one of the best keyboards throughout Mobile History and with the introduction of WP 8.1 has arguably the best. As far as the OS goes as a stand alone, I don't feel it can be beat but I don't want to see it mucked up so much with Android apps.

    So, at this point, I'm deciding between Android and iOS. Ultimately, it comes down to who has the best cards on the table with L and the new iOS version. Right now, I'm leaning towards iPhone becase I need high quality hardware but not so much so that I'm not to be swayed. I'll be taking a look at the LG G3 this Friday and I'll be waiting on the next big Motorola release. It's hard to find an Android OEM that's comparable to Nokia/RIM/Apple though so I'm hard pressed as to where to go from here.

    Anyway, it's largely unimportant to most but I just thought I'd admit my defeat. I'm still of the opinion that Samsung is the worst company ever but ultimately, they're not the whole OS.
    Nobody has the best cards on the table. Comes down to what you prefer IMO, weigh the pros and con's of each and decide for your own needs. I just use both so I don't have to decide what one

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  18. #18  
    JeffDenver's Avatar

    Posts
    2,442 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I have Android and have been using Android since the G1 but they are very hit and miss with their devices and they don't really have any OEMs building hardware with great build quality.
    I cannot imagine you would ever be happy with any Android phone. You should just get an iPhone.
    A895 likes this.
  19. #19  
    sting7k's Avatar

    Posts
    500 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,363 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    I have Android and have been using Android since the G1 but they are very hit and miss with their devices and they don't really have any OEMs building hardware with great build quality.
    That's not going to change any time soon really. Just get the iPhone 6.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Quote Originally Posted by LeoRex View Post
    Judging by the bias that's all over your post, seems to me that you've already made up your mind and you're getting an iPhone and you just want to stir up the pot a little bit and kick a bee's nest. What's the point?
    Amen. Lol

    Posted from Google Nexus 5
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5
  21. #21  
    xchange's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

    Default

    Are you being serious? Nokia's rep comes from a bunch of solid hardware they built years ago. The present day lumia devices aren't that hot to trot and I've seen plenty of hardware complaints about them on WP forums. They're no better than Motorola, HTC, or Sony's hardware quality. I'm with Leoflex, your bias is as bad today and just as misinformed as it's been since your first appearance at AC. Your comments about Blackberry are just as outdated. You know how many RIM devices I had to RTM back in the day? Please.
  22. #22  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    6,384 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,425 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Second verse, same as the first.

    Ya'll know what I'm going to say about trolling, personal attacks and generally obnoxious and jerkish behavior. Let's skip that and focus on being polite, productive and embracing PUPPAH.

    We got a new moderator on the team, don't make me link this thread to him! /s
  23. #23  

    Default

    If you don't mind taking the time to personalize your device then Android can really be whatever you need it to be, do you need fast access to important apps and information? Get a light weight launcher (a even a ROM if you insist) and add helpful widgets to quickly display information. Or if you want a UI that stands out design in your self it depends what you want on how your Android device works whereas an apple device will function how apple wants it to function.

    I do a lot of messaging so I installed sidebar launcher to quickly access my messengers just from pulling at the bottom left of my screen and I also do a lot of forum reading so I have widgets that'll give me fast access to those forums.

    Although Android has problems, if you get an older device some neat apps might not support the os version whereas if you have any ios device it'll use any ios app. And if you install a heavy skin or theme you may notice slowness (I've installed a lot on my phone including custom boot animations and now it takes about 2 seconds longer at boot)

    Although it is your decision I am heavily biased on Android so I might be leaving some things out, although a family member went from a gingerbread Android phone to a iPhone5s and enjoyed the gingerbread device over the 5s due to the ability to easily access what he wants quickly.

    Edit: if you do decide Android I recommend the G3 I've got the G2 and I love it

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  
    nj1266's Avatar

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Get an iphone 6 and jailbreak it. Then you can customize all you want.

    This way you can get the smooth UI that you covet and the customization of Android.

    I have a jailbroken iphone 5 and I have it set up to use the way I want it. I hate using buttons on phones so my iphone is gesture based. The modifications that you can do to the control center on iOS are endless.

    I also have a gs3 that is rooted and debloated to make it run smoothly. Despite all my efforts the UI is still clunky thanks to TW. I love the 4.8 inch screen on the S3 and I hope Apple would remedy that with the iPhone 6. 4.7 to 4.5 inch would be perfect for my needs.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Looks like I may yet be going Android or iPhone...

    Just buy an android and then get your friend install ios on it. OR get a home launcher. I honestly think you'd be happier with Ios but why spend extra money?

    Sent from HTC One
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sync outlook calendar to android
    By F350-6 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Today, 09:42 AM
  2. Balloon Burst - Android App Game
    By Pedro Moreno1 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM
  3. Android and "Outlook Like" capabilities ?
    By Tahoe-Runner in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 05:51 PM

Posting Permissions