What advantages does Android still have over iOS 8?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So right now I'm thinking wether or not I still want to go to android from my 5S and I'd like to hear from android users. Prior to iOS 8's announcement, I was pretty all set to go to android for my next phone, but now I'm not sure. iOS 8 now has extensibility of apps, active notifications, they opened up the Touch ID sensor, and etc. pretty much these were my main complaints , so I'm wondering what you guys thought android still had over iOS 8? I'm not trolling or starting a flame war, I just want to compare the two as they stand now so I can make the right decision for me.

I like how android is sort of ubiquitous. As in you can pair up with a computer and not feel like you need to buy a specific product to go with it. With iphone , I feel like I need to also own other apple stuff even though they may not be better than non apple stuff in some cases.

Also, more hardware options.

However, I like the app quality on iOS a bit more maybe and how things DO work with one another. And that they get instant updates to software.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to help :)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
So right now I'm thinking wether or not I still want to go to android from my 5S and I'd like to hear from android users. Prior to iOS 8's announcement, I was pretty all set to go to android for my next phone, but now I'm not sure. iOS 8 now has extensibility of apps, active notifications, they opened up the Touch ID sensor, and etc. pretty much these were my main complaints , so I'm wondering what you guys thought android still had over iOS 8? I'm not trolling or starting a flame war, I just want to compare the two as they stand now so I can make the right decision for me.

I like how android is sort of ubiquitous. As in you can pair up with a computer and not feel like you need to buy a specific product to go with it. With iphone , I feel like I need to also own other apple stuff even though they may not be better than non apple stuff in some cases.

However, I like the app quality on iOS a bit more maybe and how things DO work with one another. And that they get instant updates to software.

Short and sweet answer: customization. Android is the most customizable os period...and this is coming from someone who used bb and wp for the last 2-3 years.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I still prefer the greater customizability of Android's user interface, and the sheer variety of hardware and software available. It makes it fresh and exciting to me. I don't agree with people who say the quality of iOS apps is vastly better--I find that all of the apps I want to use on Android work great. You mention how things work with one another on iOS--historically, things on iOS haven't worked together all that smoothly, in terms of being able to share information quickly between apps. Not having followed the iOS 8 announcement, I don't know if this is something they are addressing.

Comparing the promptness of software updates between iOS and Android is no longer a completely fair comparison either, because of how many components of Android have now been separated out, and are updated on a rolling basis to all devices via Google Play Services updates.

Good luck with your choice!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think you're over thinking things. If I was you I'd just nab an Android you think you would like and go with it... If you don't like it return it within the 14 day window and return your iPhone :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I agree with B.Diddy. Customization and having the choice of many great Android phones. There's one in any flavor, which is great because there's a perfect Android phone for everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
While iOS made great strides in catching up to Android, some things I didn't care for in the announcement was the fact that widgets were confined to the notification shade. To me, it seems counterproductive to have something that gives you condensed information at a glance, and you have to go through a screen action to see it. The apps on Android, in terms of polish, are catching up to Apple. I wouldn't call their notifications 'active notifications' as I am coming from an owner of a Moto X. The X is you pick up the device, and the screen shows you your pending notifications. What Apple announced isn't the same thing, although, they are giving more functionality in those notifications. Android to a degree has already had this. Not Vanilla, but many custom ROMs have had the option to answer text messages from the notification shade.

I can't think of much more from Apples keynote. Me personally, I prefer Android. Why? I have an HTC One M8, and I did not care for Sense. So I rooted and flashed an AOSP ROM, and I went from a skinned version of Android to Vanilla in a matter of 90 minutes.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
As a Mac user the only advantage if has is that I can play my iTunes (protected) purchases.

The gap now is also further with what S5 gives me.

Pro S5

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

The fact that Android owns 75% share of the world's mobile devices market, and growing, while iOS comprises less than 20%, and shrinking, should tell you something, Ravensword.

Plus what the other said.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
And customization is no simple concept.... apps are apps. But Android allows a user to completely customize their phone to suit their needs... not just looks, but in operation as well. It's not just widgets, fonts and colors...

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
... so I'm wondering what you guys thought android still had over iOS 8?

The ability to customize the phone is the biggest thing IMO. If you want to spend hours tricking out your phone get Android. If you want to open the box and press the power button get an iPhone.

Also IMHO iOS is still smoother, more stable, faster, and easier to use.

-Beamed from my Moto X.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The fact that Android owns 75% share of the world's mobile devices market, and growing, while iOS comprises less than 20%, and shrinking, should tell you something, Ravensword.

Plus what the other said.

All that really says is that Android is sold in more places (and at more affordable prices) than iOS devices. iOS still owns the States.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Ios still doesn't allow you to set default apps, and with extensibility, it seems like they have no intention of allowing this anytime soon. Apple is basically saying, "instead of wanting VSCO cam as your default camera app, we are letting you access VSCO cam features through the main camera app. It's one of those things which can be irritating if you are a heavy user of non-stock apps.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
ios apps definitely look more polished and function better. Case in point the chase mobile app on android resembles something I'd expect on the GS2. Developers just put more time and polish on ios apps. I'm sure it's due to apples strict guidelines.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
ios apps definitely look more polished and function better. Case in point the chase mobile app on android resembles something I'd expect on the GS2. Developers just put more time and polish on ios apps. I'm sure it's due to apples strict guidelines.

That's on Chase...The Bank of America app already looks like it has L's Material Design.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
That's on Chase...The Bank of America app already looks like it has L's Material Design.

I understand that, doesn't change the fact when you compare development of apps and updates between the two OS's. Double Dribble was basketball on Nintendo, that doesn't make it equal it NBA2k14.

Last edited:

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm not correct in thinking this, but a main reason I was considering android was so I didn't feel beholden to buying apple products if I didn't want to. If I stick with iPhone, I feel like if I was deciding between a Mac or PC I feel like I have to be swayed to the Mac side because its also a apple product and it'll work great with the phone. Whereas I would be worried a android phone wouldn't sync well on the mac. At least since PC is ubiquitous, I'd feel like it would work well with most anything. If that makes sense.

Same goes if I am looking to buy a streaming box. If I find the roku offers me more, there still that thought I should go with apple TV because its also made by apple. Really, its a hive mentality.

And I'm wanting to use Microsoft services more nowadays and I don't know if that makes more sense on android or iOS. Android is obviously very Google focused and iOS is very apple focused. Does it make sense to use android and not use google for everything or use Microsoft instead?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm not correct in thinking this, but a main reason I was considering android was so I didn't feel beholden to buying apple products if I didn't want to. If I stick with iPhone, I feel like if I was deciding between a Mac or PC I feel like I have to be swayed to the Mac side because its also a apple product and it'll work great with the phone. Whereas I would be worried a android phone wouldn't sync well on the mac. At least since PC is ubiquitous, I'd feel like it would work well with most anything. If that makes sense.

Same goes if I am looking to buy a streaming box. If I find the roku offers me more, there still that thought I should go with apple TV because its also made by apple. Really, its a hive mentality.

And I'm wanting to use Microsoft services more nowadays and I don't know if that makes more sense on android or iOS. Android is obviously very Google focused and iOS is very apple focused. Does it make sense to use android and not use google for everything or use Microsoft instead?

I use an Android phone and a Macbook. Not even slightly inclined to get an iPhone.

If I did have an iPhone, I would still get a Macbook, not because it would sync better, just because I think the Macbook does what I need better than any Windows laptop.

About Android syncing though, looks like Google is headed that way with Chromebooks and L.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
All that really says is that Android is sold in more places (and at more affordable prices) than iOS devices. iOS still owns the States.

Used to own, Android has passed iOS. Apple has the highest percentage, as OEMs go, but Android is now the leading platform.

All just numbers.... the two platforms are diametrically opposed... one is a closed, device centric system... the other is a open, content centric system. The less someone wants their experience dictated to them, the more likely they will prefer Android.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Used to own, Android has passed iOS. Apple has the highest percentage, as OEMs go, but Android is now the leading platform.

All just numbers.... the two platforms are diametrically opposed... one is a closed, device centric system... the other is a open, content centric system. The less someone wants their experience dictated to them, the more likely they will prefer Android.

They're are issues with open and everyone doing whatever they want with a platform. You lose UI uniformity, decay night have trouble supporting all different phones, you have fragmentation issues, you have a lack if cohesion, and other problems.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They're are issues with open and everyone doing whatever they want with a platform. You lose UI uniformity, decay night have trouble supporting all different phones, you have fragmentation issues, you have a lack if cohesion, and other problems.

All problems the average consumer does not care about, while some argue fragmentation and quality and malware against Android, the marketshare keeps on rising. These things aren't good arguments anymore.

Especially since they have been fixed mostly. Let's face it, customization is a very big draw to Android still.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol