IOS vs Android vs Windows 8 on tablets?

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have heard someone said in another forum the user thinks the Ipad and Android tablets will die in the next 5 years because of Windows 8 tablets as it is a real full OS on a tablet.

But i don't think so because i really think Ipads and Android tablets are going to around for a long time despite a big threat of Windows 8 tablets.

Just wondering what is the best tablet OS between IOS or Android of Windows 8

And do you think Ipads and Android tablets will be around in the next 5/10 years despite of Windows 8 tablets?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With the advancements in Android it won't be going any where but up from here. Microsoft just laid-off 18,000 people and with the sales of the Windows Surface a plain failure. I don't believe the Windows tablets are of any real threat. Yes the Windows 8 tablet can run full "Windows x86" software but they aren't the only software on the block anymore. With SteamOS coming around the corner Microsoft is seeing the writing on the wall and is scared to hell they might have to offer good software soon just to compete for a much lesser market share in the future.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you been paying attention to the news lately? Tablets overall are doing bad and Windows Tablets worst of all. Lenovo even said they stopped making RT devices and said 8 inch devices don't sell in the U.S. I can't imagine tablets being that much of a large market in the future. The tablet market is experiencing slow down right now and Windows tablets aren't doing that much of anything really.

I don't see why would I get a Windows Tablet when I can get a iPad or an Android tablet and still do as much. Because let's face it these devices aren't being used as full computers, the point of a tablet is to have most of the functions of a computer but more consumption friendly, and not have productivity at the forefront.

Posted via Android Central App

Aglet

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
My first tablet was 4 years ago and before I ditched it ran Android Froyo. It only fulfilled my requirements for 12 months. My Transformer Prime is a good device but after a few years just ain't doin' it for me anymore. I'll be going to a full mobile computer in another year or two i.e. a Windows tablet, likely when Windows 9 is released. That will also replace my aging desktop machine.

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly attributes the falling tablet sales to improvements in design and upgrades that are not significant enough to attract owners to renew: "The issue has then been that, once you have a tablet of a certain generation, it’s not clear that you have to move on to the next generation."

Tablets are probably here to stay, but personally I would like a tablet that does more for me than iOS or Android offer.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My Surface Pro is far superior to the iPad. The Surface Pro 3 is far superior to my Surface Pro. Different people have different preferences. It's much too early to dismiss the Surface Pro 3 and other newer Windows tablets when they have just been released. Let's see how they do after a meaningful sales interval, and then people can draw some conclusions.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
My Surface Pro is far superior to the iPad. The Surface Pro 3 is far superior to my Surface Pro. Different people have different preferences. It's much too early to dismiss the Surface Pro 3 and other newer Windows tablets when they have just been released. Let's see how they do after a meaningful sales interval, and then people can draw some conclusions.

Your Surface Pro also runs a full fledge version of Windows 8 and isn't limited by the selection Windows RT suffers.

Also the majority of your options aren't touch optimized at all.

And on your meaning sales interval quote, it has already been proven that they aren't doing that great.

In fact the biggest issue for Microsoft is that since Windows 8 has been released, Windows 7 market share has gone up.

Davehow

Banned
Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think it's fair to categorize the SP3 as a tablet. It's more like a laptop with a detachable touch screen. I personally wouldn't buy one for personal use as a tablet because it's too geared towards professional use:

-Too big for easy to hold media consumption
-Too big to comfortably type on one handed while holding with the other for casual couch surfing
-falls down in gaming because high def tablet games are apps optimized for ARM. The SP3 doesn't run the big high def PC titles as well as a gaming laptop.

If I bought a SP3 I'd end up still needing a tablet just like I would if I bought a laptop or ultrabook, so in my books it basically falls into ultrabook/laptop territory.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If I bought a SP3 I'd end up still needing a tablet just like I would if I bought a laptop or ultrabook, so in my books it basically falls into ultrabook/laptop territory.
And even at that, I don't think it's up there with some of the better ultrabooks. The keyboard and trackpad are still not as good as it could be on a "full" laptop.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
And even at that, I don't think it's up there with some of the better ultrabooks. The keyboard and trackpad are still not as good as it could be on a "full" laptop.

The problem is if you are looking at the SP3 as an ultrabook, you are correct. If I were to get a Windows Tablet/Hybrid device, I would strongly consider the SP3 because you can turn it into a 12 inch tablet, laptop, or hook it up to a monitor and make it a desktop.

The big things they missed out on the SP3 was an option to have built in LTE connectivity. And they went backwards on GPU and pressure points for the tablet side of things.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I understand the SP3 is good, but I have seen so many threads on the Verge where people recommend the SP3 when as a laptop it's keyboard and track pad fall short. I think that is one of the bigger deal breakers for many, especially if you are going to be typing a lot.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The problem is if you are looking at the SP3 as an ultrabook, you are correct. If I were to get a Windows Tablet/Hybrid device, I would strongly consider the SP3 because you can turn it into a 12 inch tablet, laptop, or hook it up to a monitor and make it a desktop.

The big things they missed out on the SP3 was an option to have built in LTE connectivity. And they went backwards on GPU and pressure points for the tablet side of things.

Yes, I know that :p
I was just replying to the part of his post where he says it's better as a laptop than as a tablet. I'd have to agree about the size part. Of the hybrids it is probably the best though.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Surface Pros are similar to phablets in that most people who don't like them seem to have that opinion formed in the abstract. I'm not saying everyone likes Surface Pros or everyone likes phablets, but those who own them typically love them. I find the keyboard criticism interesting, because you never heard that about the original Surface Pro that I own. It was always battery life and weight. In fact the type keyboard was lauded and the touch cover panned. Now that the battery life and weight issues have been dealt with, critics talk about the keyboard. I type a boatload of documents on the original Surface Pro keyboard without discomfort and the new SP3 keyboard is supposed to be even better. These are just my opinions--I understand many may disagree, especially if they don't own one. However, it is the best electronic device I have ever owned.

I don't know if they will succeed or not, but I think it's too early to write off either the Surface Pro line or other WinTabs running full Windows. Windows RT is another story--I would say it has one foot in the bucket but not completely dead yet.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I understand the SP3 is good, but I have seen so many threads on the Verge where people recommend the SP3 when as a laptop it's keyboard and track pad fall short. I think that is one of the bigger deal breakers for many, especially if you are going to be typing a lot.

Not sure where those comments on the keyboard originated--I suspect it is because critics need to have an issue. The keyboard is fantastic and I find I use the trackpad very rarely once I got used to using the touchscreen. My trackpad isn't great. I know they improved the SP3 trackpad but I haven't really tested it out because I am so used to the touchscreen. The portable mouses are popular as well with SP users.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not sure where those comments on the keyboard originated--I suspect it is because critics need to have an issue. The keyboard is fantastic and I find I use the trackpad very rarely once I got used to using the touchscreen. My trackpad isn't great. I know they improved the SP3 trackpad but I haven't really tested it out because I am so used to the touchscreen. The portable mouses are popular as well with SP users.

I have a convertible myself and the touchscreen is used a lot, but what these convertible devices never account for is that we as consumers may use these devices in a laptop form factor than tablet form. I used a Surface Pro 2 and 2 inn Best Buy before and I found the keyboard cramped and the trackpad lacking a bit. Even my Split X2 has an awful trackpad and it's laptop form is more laptop like.

I am not bashing the Surface line though, but I feel the keyboard and trackpads aren't built for typing 10-15 page essays or long form reports and research. I would rather have an actually laptop and a touchscreen. As far as the Windows 8 tablets go, the tablet market may not be able to handle them, they have a niche I suppose, but for general consumers, unless they get priced the same as Android tablets or less, mass consumers won't take notice. I know it is tired but the apps and services they want are not there as apps on the Windows store, and just using the browser is just settling when they can use a tablet with the apps and services they want, and be just as much productive.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the Surface Pro line is there is always something else that could fill the purpose better with alot of times cheaper and still have upgrade-ability.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the Surface Pro line is there is always something else that could fill the purpose better with alot of times cheaper and still have upgrade-ability.

My main gripe with the SP3 is the price. The basic $799 one has 4GB RAM, i3, and 64GB of storage and the $130 keyboard is still extra. All told, it costs $930. That is big leagues considering the specs. The form factor and portability shouldn't command that much money. Same specs with a 128GB SSD gets you my HP Split X2 with keyboard included for less than $700.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think the main reason for slow tablet sales is because most tablets are WiFi only.

People are buying large smartphones such as the Note 3 with LTE in lieu of small WiFi only tablets.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I think the main reason for slow tablet sales is because most tablets are WiFi only.

People are buying large smartphones such as the Note 3 with LTE in lieu of small WiFi only tablets.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Some people are,not all are.

I went from a Note II to a 1520 now on a HTC m8 and while the 6" screen was nice,a 7" Wi-Fi Asus tablet is leaps above it for viewing even with its lower resolution..and easily connected for $150.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez