Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

I only read the first few replies to this thread, but wanted to add my experience with my phone...

I got a droid Maxx about a month ago, yes it's not the newest one but I don't regret the decision one bit. I dig the vanilla interface, the voice commands, the active display, the fact that it's well supported (I'm running 4.4.4), etc. I've also installed and uninstalled various apps and games (been rather on a play store binge lately), and all have run flawlessly, including my favorite genre, the shooters, despite this unit having hardware that isn't as up to date as what's currently available in regards to CPU and ram. I haven't had a single lockup or crash, and my battery life is rocking.

OK I'm done plugging Motorola now LOL. Just wanted to talk about my experience to exemplify that there are great phones that have been available for some time.

As far as Samsung, to each his own. I hated my last phone, and granted, it was a terrible phone anyway, but it was also Samsung and when an update fubared it the support was lacking even though I had just gotten it a month previous. Also... Now that I know what vanilla is like I am unlikely to ever go back to a branded interface again.

Sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default Re: Need advice: Android after iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Davehow View Post
    I have no problem with you voicing your opinion whatsoever. I just disagree that they should be catering to your wishes to the extent you're looking for, that's all.
    I don't think my demands are unreasonable at all. I'm not asking them to produce anything extra...just allow me to get rid of stuff I don't want.

Toyota will allow me to replace the stereo if I don't like the one the car comes with. And I don't have to beg them to unlock it to do it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by MDMcAtee View Post
    Eventually they will. Even if they abandoned Android for their own Tizen.
    I do not think they will go to Tizen...once they see the disappointing sales (mark my words, this will come to pass), they will realize quickly that Tizen is not a viable alternative.

I also don't think they'll abandon Touchwiz. It's been years and they are still convinced that touchwiz is the reason people buy their phones at all. They will hold on to it all the way to the grave.

For these reasons I am predicting a gradual decline in Samsung's smartphone marketshare over the next few years. I doubt they'll die out completely, but they will fade to just one of many Android vendors instead of "the" Android vendor they are now. Kinda sucks, because they do make top notch hardware. But short of them being bought out by someone else, I do not see them changing. And without changing, I think companies like LG or Moto will eventually catch up and even surpass them. They're, ironically, making the same mistakes Apple made...except that they won't be able to coast on their image like Apple did. Having great hardware is going to matter a lot less going forward since all the big companies (Moto, LG, and maybe HTC if they can get their crap together) have great hardware now.

I'll say the same thing to you as I did to the op go on this forum to the picture thread of the m8 and do your own comparisons.
    I agree he should try the M8. It has the best build quality and the best speakers. If he is satisfied with the camera and can tolerate Sense, there no reason not to get an M8.

Here is the Nexus 5 Photo thread: Share your Nexus 5 camera photos, videos, and thoughts!

What has been shown is by using the manual mode and appropriately using better settings for the light,the pictures are very good. While not as good in a few cases,but better for others like macros and low light.
    Do you have any comparison samples?

(EDIT - I deleted the photos I posted...I thought it was the M8, but it was the M7, which is obviously not a fair comparison. )

Could not find any comparisons for Macro...but these are Nexus 5 macro samples (click for full resolution):

Need advice:  Android after iOS-cat.jpg

Need advice:  Android after iOS-lizard-1.jpg

Need advice:  Android after iOS-img_20140204_150727.jpg

I only used my own images, because I am 100% sure they are unaltered (except for cropping)...but in that photo thread there are tons more and some much better than these.
    Banned

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    they will fade to just one of many Android vendors instead of "the" Android vendor they are now.
    I would like to see this. It's too unbalanced right now and awesome handset makers are in danger because of it
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

I would like to see this. It's too unbalanced right now and awesome handset makers are in danger because of it
    Ironically, I'd prefer it if they stayed on top. I'd rather they just adapted than died, but I don't think they're going to be willing to do that. They won't want to embrace vanilla Android because they will see it as being dependent on Google.

The problem is the definition of awesome varies greatly when a mass consumer wants and what a techie or well read tech consumers want.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Samsung's "Spam tons of software gimmicks and see what sticks" method is just not going to work well in this new era of minimalism. Even the normies are embracing it. It's not just the nerds.
    ldragon76 likes this.

Samsung's "Spam tons of software gimmicks and see what sticks" method is just not going to work well in this new era of minimalism. Even the normies are embracing it. It's not just the nerds.
    That's the thing though, Samsung still is selling millions of devices. The thing is people are noticing other smart phones too, but there is still a overwhelming majority who buy Samsung.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    That's the thing though, Samsung still is selling millions of devices. The thing is people are noticing other smart phones too, but there is still a overwhelming majority who buy Samsung.
    That used to be true of Apple as well. Things change.

Apple had a mitigating factor...their image. People will buy there stuff for the logo alone. It won't save them, but it will make their decline take a lot longer.

Samsung doesn't have that...they have to actually compete on the merits of the device. And in a minimalistic world, touchwiz is going to be increasingly unappealing IMO. The minimalist trend is not just an Android thing...it is happening across platforms.

That used to be true of Apple as well. Things change.

Apple had a mitigating factor...their image. People will buy there stuff for the logo alone. It won't save them, but it will make their decline take a lot longer.

Samsung doesn't have that...they have to actually compete on the merits of the device. And in a minimalistic world, touchwiz is going to be increasingly unappealing IMO. The minimalist trend is not just an Android thing...it is happening across platforms.
    That minimalist trend is a backdrop to a thing I doubt any mass consumer is aware of or cares for. As it is minimalism is just something that is happening without consumer noticing just like how smart phones have gotten so big or how specs of smart phones have gotten near laptop levels.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    Carrier

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    That minimalist trend is a backdrop to a thing I doubt any mass consumer is aware of or cares for. As it is minimalism is just something that is happening without consumer noticing just like how smart phones have gotten so big or how specs of smart phones have gotten near laptop levels.
    I think consumers intuitively recognize these things as gimmicks...I know lots of people with Samsung phones...I don't know anyone who uses the touchwiz features. I do know many of them are confused or annoyed by Samsung's UI alterations. This is why, IMO, consumers will embrace the minimalism.

The only exception is the iconography...Google's iconography is often cryptic and hard for people to understand without it being explained to them. At least in my experience. Email forwarding in Gmail is a perfect example of that...NONE of the Android users I know has gotten this immediately. I've had to explain it lots of times. Even tech nerds get confused by it.

I think consumers intuitively recognize these things as gimmicks...I know lots of people with Samsung phones...I don't know anyone who uses the touchwiz features. I do know many of them are confused or annoyed by Samsung's UI alterations. This is why, IMO, consumers will embrace the minimalism.

The only exception is the iconography...Google's iconography is often cryptic and hard for people to understand without it being explained to them. At least in my experience. Email forwarding in Gmail is a perfect example of that...NONE of the Android users I know has gotten this immediately. I've had to explain it lots of times. Even tech nerds get confused by it.
    The not using of Samsung native Touchwiz features is not a clear indication of consumers preferring a more minimalist UI.

Joe

I guess by now you've had a chance to research the phones a little more,and have looked at what is available to you. It's not a easy decision to make with all of the really great phones out now and what is rumored to be soon.

Once you get a idea of what you want,then you have to figure out if you are going to keep it like it comes or change it around to suit your taste.

I know you said you were bored looking at the same screen with your iPhone,and understand where you're coming from with that. You won't be bored so quickly with most Android phones,and you won't have to worry about rooting or jailbreaking it to really change the look and feel of it for a long long time. You can just download new launchers and change everything around on it really easy.

Your worry about having to reset the phone once in awhile while a inconvenience may be necessary depending on how you use it or change on it and it may only take a soft reset instead of a full hard reset to clear the issues. From the way you said you have never had to do that with your iPhone sounds to me that you don't change much on your phone so I don't see this as a problem for you.

Most people I know that have or wanted to switch platforms always said what you have,they just wanted their phones to work,and I get that completely,but as with any changes sometimes issues come up that are unforseen.

My biggest gripe with the iPhone was the signal reception in my area. While this may not effect you where you are at on your carrier,it has a profound effect on me here. That is something you should research with friends and family or coworkers where you are. Both with normal cell calls and also with Wi-Fi on the different phones your looking at.

The led alerts have never been a issue with me on any Android phone I have owned. They all have worked and I have never had to download apps to correct it. I guess I'm very lucky in that according to some.

I'm like you in just wanting my phone to work properly,and with my m8 it has been flawless so far. It syncs well with my iMac and my Windows 8 laptop and transferring my music collection was ok. I did download a album art grabber at first to fill in some missing covers so that is not a issue anymore. 2 good music players to check out if your stock player is lacking is n7 and Power Amp both work great and have very nice features to use . Both are different than iTunes music and have different functions and looks to change around to keep you from being bored.

My iPhone friends that switched were scared of the transition,worried about learning something new and different and how bad Android phones really are. I can tell you this,some are worse than your iPhone,but most are just as good as it is in all regards. It takes time to build up confidence,and if you choose to,you'll be able to find fault with everything,or you can decide to learn how to use your phone so it does what you want it to.

See,with freedom comes a greater responsibility to be more self sufficient. That's what Android is really about underneath all the different skins that has been put on top of it. It makes you think about what You want,if you choose to.

Sorry to sound so philosophical but most people who have been on the Apple iPhone for so long don't fully understand this fact.

Good luck on your phone choice

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8
    joe watson1 and A895 like this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

Thanks for the reply. That's good advice and after reading and researching I have learned a lot. I still want to change it want to wait to see what all the new phones are about in the next few months then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by joe watson1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's good advice and after reading and researching I have learned a lot. I still want to change it want to wait to see what all the new phones are about in the next few months then decide.
    Good idea and will give you time to sort it all out.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Quote Originally Posted by joe watson1 View Post
    You've received some great advice in this thread, so I won't reiterate it all here. I'm the type of tech junkie that jumps from iOS to Android and back around again. I've finally settled on Android now that my wife and I switched to AT&T and I can use basically whatever phone I want.

Android just gives you that extra bit of freedom that makes me like it over iOS. For the most part, it does the same things that iOS does, just with a different looking skin on it. Apps, games, music, shows/movies are all basically the same between the two OSes. The place where Android wins is choice. You have hardware choice where you could pick a stock device like Nexus or GPE or Moto, to an extent. Or you could pick a skinned device like S5, M8, G3 that all have top of the line specs, but do have their own "skins". Of those skinned devices I'd go with the M8 first, as long as you're ok with a slightly worse camera. If not, go with the G3. If you don't want skins, then a Nexus 5 is an incredible piece of hardware.

The other choice that Android gives you is with the software. You can keep your phone as bare bones as you want. But you can also make it "yours". And make the phone work just how you want it. That, to me, is the number one reason to use Android. You can make them do nearly anything you want. But you don't have to. With iOS, I had to do what iOS would let me. Simple things like not being able to turn off vibrate for the stock alarm drove me insane. I liked my phone to always vibrate for notifications, but that also meant my alarm had to vibrate. That's just such a simple and pointless thing, that it seemed obvious to me. Yet Apple told me that's how it had to be.

If you really want to change, then give it a shot. But make sure you give it a real shot. I've seen so many people change for three days and then go back to what they're used to. The possibilities with Android are endless. And it will be much different than what you're used to. But if you want to make the change, jump in head first and give it a shot. You can be more than happy with Android. It's a great OS.
    joe watson1 and ladyc0524 like this.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I am using both iOS and android. To be honest 95 of the time I use the OS to launch an app that I need... so launchers and stuff do not impress me. I still find iOS to be more smooth and somehow polished.

For android side, OnePlus One seems a pretty good deal so far, I would wait for Note 4, Moto X+1 and Nexus 6 before doing an upgrade.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123