Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDMcAtee
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Android Still Maintain Superiority Over Other OSes?

Obviously the functionality and customizability needs no introduction at all here at the Android Central forums and while Android may have historically lagged behind iOS in performace, Android has always been a step ahead in functionality.Today, many years after the inception of the Android operating system, Google has managed to get rid of most(if not all) the issues that people had with the operating system, except maybe fragmentation(which is a totally different discussion) but complains regarding fluidity and applications has finally been met and today you see amazing apps on Android that you won't see anywhere else.I've seen people comment under reviews of Android devices how iPhone is the best and I've seen people over a the WPCentral(and other places) spreading lies about Android and saying that Windows Phone is best.While iOS does have some advantages over Android, WP simply doesn't and nothing you say can change that. I'm not trying to start a war here but Windows Phone may have a few advantages over Android, Android has hundreds of advantages over Windows Phone. But moving on, Android has some of the best apps out there and because the operating system is so advanced, you have expandable notifications, apps that can lock/unlock your phone when you pull it in and out of your pocket, apps that can put a secure password over your phone, and one of the best examples is how Facebook chatheads in the Messenger app work, you can CHAT WITH PEOPLE FROM YOUR HOME SCREEN, AN APP OR VIRTUALLY ANYWHERE ELSE, HOW AWESOME IS THAT!

You also have "true" multitasking, I can send songs and videos via Whatsapp while the app is in the background or I can compress videos in the background while I am using something else, this simply isn't possibly on platforms such as Windows Phone.While other operating systems may have some more aesthetically pleasing or more stable applications, Android has the apps with the most functionality. Plus the design of apps isn't bad on Android by any means and with the introduction of the new design language in Android L we'll see even better apps.On a sidenote to all those complaining about malware on Android, hackers often target operating systems that are popular and that doesn't mean iOS and Windows Phone can't get viruses it is just that no one really cares about them, we'll not about Windows Phone atleast, iOS has had viruses. But if you have some common sense about downloading safe applications you'll have no problem with malware.

Once again I would like to say that I have no hate against Windows Phone or iOS, I have personally used both operating systems and they do have their fair share of advantages.

So do you think Android still reigns supreme in the mobile operating systems? Because I can say that with confidence, that yes it does. What features do you like best about Android that you just can't find on other OSes?

Sent from my SVF15218SGB using Tapatalk

Android reigns supreme over all because it allows customization as the individual wants it.

While we all have different needs,wants,and desires being able to set your phone up as you want it not as someone else wants it, is what puts Android above all other platforms.

Tiles vs widgets vs locked docks means nothing unless you can remove apps that you don't want, or be able to use different apps not sanctioned by the carrier or manufacturers.

The problem with IOS and WP isn't that they are bad,it's how you are forced into using IE or Safari ,how you are forced to use certain services to do anything with the phone. Forced to use the phone as they desire,not you.

WP and IOS force everything through Xbox and iTunes and while iTunes isn't as bad,Xbox is a bloated turd that should be flushed down the toilet.

Android equals freedom...you choose what music and video players to have. You choose what browser you want and they aren't all an extension of one.

Are there some features that are better,absolutely and this is where Google needs to step up development and where they should embrace the developer community more so now than ever before and put some of the features that those who root to get them in each new release.

There is no reason for carrier exclusive phones. Any feature made for a Android phone should be available for all Android phones if hardware is present to run it without voiding the warranty. Where files and apps are stored and run should be up to the individual not someone else.

I tried both WP and IOS and found that neither are better than Android overall,and at the end of the day that is what truly matters.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8
    A895 likes this.

Default Re: Does Android Still Maintain Superiority Over Other OSes?

Functionality wise, Android is first class. Even software, Android is becoming near the too of the heap. Android will maintain dominance as it is the only OS, that has form factors across all price ranges.

Maybe that was the plan with WP, but their specs continue to lack. iOS never needed them and BlackBerry never did either.

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Android has a serious problem with updating system. Because of all the OEM's skins and deep changes, updates take from 3 to 6 to never months. I'm pretty sure that in a couple of years if things don't get better, iOS will gain even more ground considering that they are preparing large screen devices. The main complain about i5s was the small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by alinescoo View Post
    Android has a serious problem with updating system. Because of all the OEM's skins and deep changes, updates take from 3 to 6 to never months. I'm pretty sure that in a couple of years if things don't get better, iOS will gain even more ground considering that they are preparing large screen devices. The main complain about i5s was the small screen.
    Updates don't matter to the vast majority of consumers and Android being as open as it is does pretty good on updates regardless. Don't buy into the hype.