Why Does It Seem That Android Is Always Chasing Apple?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
One plus side. Now that the iphone has NFC . More stores might move to nfc payments.

Posted via the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Google now and siri are completly different.
Last I check android doesn't have a fingerprint scanner.

iphone has smaller resolution.

Posted via the Android Central App

iOS doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, the iPhone does. The GS5, GN4, and HTC One Max also have one

NeonThunder

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
The reason why android seems to be chasing apple is it's marketing. They're fantastic at it! I use to be an apple fanboy and still am to a point but i've now converted to android! :D

The thing is apple created the first major touch screen phone and all the other manufactures had failed at making something successful and so Apple lead the way and people believed that it was the best. Its not until the phone manufacturers started to get a grasp of the technology etc that they could catch up with apple and whilst catching up there was some truly awful mobiles that just didn't do well.

But now i believe apple is scared and the phone manufactures are so much better than apple. Apple is looking to android and other phones for ideas now.

At the end of the day the iPhone died when Steve Jobs did. It was a good phone but now its just an iFail i shall be sticking with android for the future!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The reason why

At the end of the day the iPhone died when Steve Jobs did. It was a good phone but now its just an iFail i shall be sticking with android for the future!

I disagree. I think these post-Jobs iPhones are better than anything released when he was still alive pontificating. You actually believe the iPhone 6 is worse than it predecessors?
I feel like the Apple faithful finally get to enjoy some of what we Android fans have had for some time. I may even add a 6+ to my collection.

NeonThunder

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I think these post-Jobs iPhones are better than anything released when he was still alive pontificating. You actually believe the iPhone 6 is worse than it predecessors?
I feel like the Apple faithful finally get to enjoy some of what we Android fans have had for some time. I may even add a 6+ to my collection.

It's not worse it's just repacked with something new and your charged loads for it!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So yes, while it's true that android seems to end up getting it right and (in some cases) surpassing the idea originated by Apple, they NEVER seem to be on the leading edge of this stuff.
You mean like NFC? Replaceable keyboards? Larger displays? Notifications? Live wallpapers? Widgets? Application Interoperability? Remote app install?

What benefit did 64-bit processors give to Apple exactly?

Apple is still missing a lot of things. 3rd party app integration is a major one. They only just now are allowing it for keyboards...and only keyboards. If you want it for Browsers/Maps/Email/Launchers/Lock Screens/File managers/Picture Viewers/Whatever, you are SoL. The Android share menu is fully mature...Apple is just now starting on that. You still cannot sideload anything on iOS...not without jailbreaking. Still no desktop widgets. Apple is just now allowing a pale imitation of them in their notification panel...another thing they copied from Android.

But can't android truly innovate and force Apple to play catch-up?
What exactly has Apple innovated? What is it you think they have done that Android has not already done, often years earlier?

From what I can see they have basically been copying everything. They copied notifications, the lock screen, multi-tasking for all apps, ect...Which is not a bad thing. If I was stuck on iOS I'd be applauding it. But it does make them hypocrites.

Doge on iOS8.png

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't wish Samsung would copy greater internal storage, not sure why any of the mainstream Android manufacturers haven't been doing this. I'm mean 64 & 128 GB internal storage is impressive.

...and completely unnecessary with SD cards being a tiny fraction of the price.

That is not really an Apple thing though...if Google had it's way, no one would be using SD. Google hates SD as well. But the fact remains that $100 for 16 or 32 gigs of internal storage is a huge ripoff.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it's the 64-bit architecture alone, but the A7 beats anything on the market aside from the K1.

Beats it how? In benchmarks? That's not how we use phones. I don't see that the 5s really does most things any faster than current Android devices, nor does it shine at battery life. Maybe it would be even worse with a 32 bit processor, but I think older iPhones had better battery life than the 5s.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's the 64-bit architecture alone, but the A7 beats anything on the market aside from the K1.
According to who?

Ranking-of-mobile-processor-12.jpg

Source: The ranking of mobile processor: Exynos 5433 on the Galaxy Note 4 scored higher than Snapdragon 805

multi1.png
Source: Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 CPU and System Performance

The A7 was not even the king when it first appeared. At the very least even the Snapdragon 800 is comparable. So if "comparable" is what 64-bit gives to Apple, they need to truly fear a 64-bit powered Android system.

Where is 64-bit helping Apple here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI8snnLpEDE

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Better than previous iPhones? That's not hard. The march of technology pretty much guarantees that. The real question is have they really progressed very much? And how have they progressed compared to Android, and even Windows Phone?

I would argue that the improvements in the last couple of iPhone generations are pretty minor, and not really original, especially when compared to the improvements in Android. Would Jobs have been satisfied with minor improvements to the status quo? Just look at the physical design of the new phones. The large round button and large bezels were fine on a 3 1/5 inch screen. But even with the 4 inch screen on the 5s there were complaints that the top of the screen was a little hard to access. With a 4.7" screen that design has outlived its usefullness, and on the 6 Plus it's ridiculous. I thnk Jobs would have recognized that a different form factor merited a different design paradigm, but Apple's current management is stuck, afraid to change what Jobs designed.

The openness of Android has prompted developers to really innovate, and many of those innovations get incorporated into Android. Look at the variety of launchers available for Android. Pie launchers, Side Launchers, Gesture Launchers, and more. The iPhone 6 Plus uses a launcher that is essentially the same as on the original iPhone, and it can't be changed. Which platform is showing innovation?

Apple introduced a 64 bit processor first, but didn't do anything to take advantage of it. No more memory, no enhanced multi-tasking, no new operating paradigms. Just more of the same, a little bit faster.

Android may be implementing a 64 bit OS later than Apple, but they're building a significantly improved OS around it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Apple is obviously playing catch up. Android and her OEMs have thoroughly beaten Apple. I used to prefer Apple's app quality but android has caught up there too, IMO.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
According to who?

http://s-smartphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Ranking-of-mobile-processor-12.jpg
Source: The ranking of mobile processor: Exynos 5433 on the Galaxy Note 4 scored higher than Snapdragon 805

View attachment 136023

The A7 was not even the king when it first appeared. At the very least even the Snapdragon 800 is comparable. So if "comparable" is what 64-bit gives to Apple, they need to truly fear a 64-bit powered Android system.

According to anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5
Wins all of the CPU benchmarks
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/7
And half of the GPU benchmarks
Edit: That's comparing to the 800.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
According to who?

http://s-smartphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Ranking-of-mobile-processor-12.jpg

View attachment 136023

On a single core basis the A7 beats all

From your same article.

firstone.png

secondone.png

thirdone.png

forthone.png

The A7 is the fastest core. The 64bit helps with the number calculations and gives it an advantage right now.

If Apple had choose to make quad core phones, they would win hands down against the competition on speed.

The reason why these phones outscore the A7 on multicore is because they are quad core.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Beats it how? In benchmarks? That's not how we use phones. I don't see that the 5s really does most things any faster than current Android devices, nor does it shine at battery life. Maybe it would be even worse with a 32 bit processor, but I think older iPhones had better battery life than the 5s.

Yeah, I know that. But the picture was comparing numbers. The A7 beats most SoCs when it comes to benchmarks, so if they wanted to compare numbers, then they were wrong. User experience is something else entirely.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
According to anandtech: AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review
Wins all of the CPU benchmarks
AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review
And half of the GPU benchmarks
Edit: That's comparing to the 800.
These are from Anantech also. This is comparing to the 801, but as you can see, the 800 is comparable. If the argument is that 64 bit has a significant impact, it should not be comparable to a Snapdragon 800.

62177.png

62179.png

Source for both - AnandTech | The HTC One (M8) Review

The differences are minor at best. The A7 is not some magic juggernaught...and neither is 64-bits. People have a lot of misconceptions about CPU architecture...double the bits is not double the performance, and sometimes it can even be worse.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm still wondering why the race to 64-bit. Has Android saturated the abilities of 32-bit or hit some performance wall that going 64-bit will tear down?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The A7 is the fastest core.
In SINGLE CORE. It can only compete with the Snapdragon 800 if you disable 3 of the 800's cores. The A7 chip is not faster than the Snapdragon 800 unless you cripple several of the Snapdragon cores.

It's not actually better if the competition has to be crippled in order to beat them, is it?

If Apple had choose to make quad core phones, they would win hands down against the competition on speed.
If grandma had balls, she'd be grandpa.

I could just as easily say "If the Nexus had 8 cores instead of 4, it would out perform your quad core A7". We could do "if's" all day. The argument was about the A7, not about each of the A7's cores. The A7 is not actually faster, when both are uncrippled.

Apple had very good reasons for not doing a quad core A7. As with all things, "more" comes with compromise.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34