who's leaving android to iPhone 6 or 6+

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
For some the OS is still better despite the lack of some of the features Android has. And the specs there are irrelevant. The iPhone 6 (and it should be expected) destroys the Nexus 4 in performance.
But make no mistake, the nexus 4 is still a good phone. I put a speedy custom rom on it, and it flies. 3D games play with no problems.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The iPhone 6 (and it should be expected) destroys the Nexus 4 in performance.

Isn't the Nexus 4 a 2012 phone? So just about any quality phone in 2014 should destroy it. Including the i6 and S5. And Nexus 5. And soon the Nexus 6.

Posted via Android Central App

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, people are REALLY going to switch despite this XD

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't saw this before now, even though there was a lot of social media with this graphic. I think some other people haven't saw it either.

ETA Oh, the graphic didn't come through.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting the 6. And as far as being so much more expensive. It isn't. And when I go to sell it in a year the resale value is a lot more for an iPhone than an android.

Well the resale is a good point, although you could argue that for anything that's expensive. Like I could buy a Mercedes coupe instead of my Mini Cooper and justify it because I can sell it for more. I obviously could, but I'm still out of that up front cost, and I don't get any of it back until I sell the car. And with a $500 iphone, you'd have to sell it for $400 to be in the same ballpark as an android. Maybe that's a reasonable amount for an iphone, I don't know. I've never looked at used ones.

Then there's always the possibility of it getting damaged, which I assume will depreciate it, or lost, or stolen, which would negate the resale value completely.

I'm sure there are scores of people who buy and resell phones regularly, but for me, personally, I'm just too clumsy/careless to make it work. Plus I like to tinker, which I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing on an iphone. With my luck, I'd end up with a $500 brick.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I was seriously thinking about moving to iPhone 6 (not the Plus, I can't fit it in my pocket) with the bigger screen and third party keyboards (love me some SwiftKey). But I would miss these things too much: sharper display, real time HDR preview in camera, IR blaster, expandable storage, replaceable battery, wireless charging, ultra power saving mode, and multi window. Maybe the 6S or 7? 😊

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I was seriously thinking about moving to iPhone 6 (not the Plus, I can't fit it in my pocket) with the bigger screen and third party keyboards (love me some SwiftKey). But I would miss these things too much: sharper display, real time HDR preview in camera, IR blaster, expandable storage, replaceable battery, wireless charging, ultra power saving mode, and multi window. Maybe the 6S or 7? 😊
I agree with those things that would be missed. I really love the IR blaster and use it all the time. Such an awesome feature.

Another simple thing that I had forgotten about is that on an iPhone, you can't even place the icons where you want on the home screens. They must be placed on the grid with no empty spaces in between. That is just ridiculous! There is a tweak for jailbroken phones called gridlock but it doesn't work with iOS 7.1 and the only substitute is to put blank icons on the page so it looks like you can put the icons where you want.

That alone is a deal breaker for me. There is no way I could deal with an iPhone that isn't jailbroken and as it stands, one of my favorite tweaks is not even usable for iOS 7.1.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well the resale is a good point, although you could argue that for anything that's expensive. Like I could buy a Mercedes coupe instead of my Mini Cooper and justify it because I can sell it for more. I obviously could, but I'm still out of that up front cost, and I don't get any of it back until I sell the car. And with a $500 iphone, you'd have to sell it for $400 to be in the same ballpark as an android. Maybe that's a reasonable amount for an iphone, I don't know. I've never looked at used ones.

Then there's always the possibility of it getting damaged, which I assume will depreciate it, or lost, or stolen, which would negate the resale value completely.

I'm sure there are scores of people who buy and resell phones regularly, but for me, personally, I'm just too clumsy/careless to make it work. Plus I like to tinker, which I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing on an iphone. With my luck, I'd end up with a $500 brick.

The Mercedes is significantly more expensive than a Mini Cooper though. The next best selling smartphone is only like $50 less than the base iPhone 6 model. He'd definitely get $50 more from reselling the iPhone than he would for the GS5 (Or the M8, Note 3, G3, and Z2 for that matter).

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
The Mercedes is significantly more expensive than a Mini Cooper though. The next best selling smartphone is only like $50 less than the base iPhone 6 model. He'd definitely get $50 more from reselling the iPhone than he would for the GS5 (Or the M8, Note 3, G3, and Z2 for that matter).

Sorry, I was comparing my S5 @ $100 (what I paid for it) to the iphone 6 @ its $500 MSRP. My Mini Cooper was just over $20k (back in '06, a new one would obviously be more).

$100 (S5) x 5 = $500 (ip6)
$20k (Mini) x5 = $100k, which you can definitely get a Mercedes for.

So I don't think the comparison is unreasonable.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with those things that would be missed. I really love the IR blaster and use it all the time. Such an awesome feature.

Another simple thing that I had forgotten about is that on an iPhone, you can't even place the icons where you want on the home screens. They must be placed on the grid with no empty spaces in between. That is just ridiculous! There is a tweak for jailbroken phones called gridlock but it doesn't work with iOS 7.1 and the only substitute is to put blank icons on the page so it looks like you can put the icons where you want.

That alone is a deal breaker for me. There is no way I could deal with an iPhone that isn't jailbroken and as it stands, one of my favorite tweaks is not even usable for iOS 7.1.

I'm not jail broken.

u5y5ymub.jpg

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I was comparing my S5 @ $100 (what I paid for it) to the iphone 6 @ its $500 MSRP. My Mini Cooper was just over $20k (back in '06, a new one would obviously be more).

$100 (S5) x 5 = $500 (ip6)
$20k (Mini) x5 = $100k, which you can definitely get a Mercedes for.

So I don't think the comparison is unreasonable.

It is definitely unreasonable. The retail price of the GS5 is $600 at Verizon. The iPhone 6 is $650 for the base model, or roughly 8% more expensive. By the logic you used that would mean that I could buy a new Mercedes for $22K

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
It is definitely unreasonable. The retail price of the GS5 is $600 at Verizon. The iPhone 6 is $650 for the base model, or roughly 8% more expensive. By the logic you used that would mean that I could buy a new Mercedes for $22K

Well I'm missing something then, because the people I know who are pre-ordering the ip6 are all planning to pay retail, whereas I actually paid $100 for my S5. Unless you can get an ip6 for cheaper than msrp, I don't see the point in comparing the ip6 price to one that no one pays for an android.

darkpurple92

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I came to Android from ios and i do not regret it. I will however remain an apple fan due to the elegance of ios 7. It was an amasing exp. But you can't do as much on an ios....what was good was the fact tht u get a transparent keyboard through which u can see the text (me being a texting freak), no viruses and as i said ios7' look. But i wouldn't go back. I love my htc ^^

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm missing something then, because the people I know who are pre-ordering the ip6 are all planning to pay retail, whereas I actually paid $100 for my S5. Unless you can get an ip6 for cheaper than msrp, I don't see the point in comparing the ip6 price to one that no one pays for an android.

So because you paid $100 on contract that means that the S5 is always $100?
There are plenty of people who buy the iPhone on contract. And there are plenty of people who pay $600 for the S5 outright. You have to compare the contract prices to the contract prices and the full retail prices to the full retail prices. Not what you paid with what people you know paid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000