Why is my S5 so laggy/sluggish when compared to my friend's new iPhone 6 Plus and old iPad 2?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The photo is real life. Below is a screenshot from my N7, which looks better than it does when I actually look at it on my nexus with my eyeballs, so unless my N7 is broken, I dunno.
View attachment 138031
It's not broken. Thats how it looks on mine too.

The banding is real. I agree with you. But it's not the Nexus producing it...it's actually in the video. I can see it on the PC as well. It becomes exaggerated when you use a 3rd party device to photo it, but even in screen captures I can see it. I think it's a compression artifact.

Maybe you personally do notice the banding more than most people. I am the same way with black levels.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Could be, I'm really picky on displays. Screenshots don't show how a LCD panel displays the image, that's why I used a camera.
You'd have to use a really good camera to get an accurate picture...the photo you posted is not even remotely what it looks like in real life. Cameras will add compression artifacts and moire patterns and all kinds of other crap. Smartphone cameras will almost always exaggerate light levels and contrast too, unless they are capturing raw images (which as far as I know, none of them do...at least not the Android ones).

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You'd have to use a really good camera to get an accurate picture...the photo you posted is not even remotely what it looks like in real life. Cameras will add compression artifacts and moire patterns and all kinds of other crap. Smartphone cameras will almost always exaggerate light levels and contrast too, unless they are capturing raw images (which as far as I know, none of them do...at least not the Android ones).
I don't need my DSLR to convey it looks significantly worse than screenshots in real life.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't need my DSLR to convey it looks significantly worse than screenshots in real life.
Actually you do, if your goal is to convey that the Nexus has a bad display. The camera you're using does not represent the nexus accurately...not even remotely. It most certainly does NOT look anything like your photo in real life.

The Nexus 7 display is not only visually appealing but stacks up incredibly well in our CalMAN display tests. Although it loses to the iPad 4, the Nexus 7 gets indiscernibly close in many cases and blows the non-Retina iPad mini out of the water. I won't even bother comparing it to everything else in the Android space, they don't hold a candle to it.

The 7-inch 1920 x 1200 display produces colors that are not only vibrant but, for the first time ever in a Nexus device, accurate as well. Google really worked on color accuracy this time, with a two step calibration process - once at a high level by the panel maker and once again per device during final manufacturing. The result is just awesome:

AnandTech | The Nexus 7 (2013) Review

So unless you have some kind of 3rd party proof I'd have to assume the defects are in your head. I'm not seeing these supposed gradient flaws in any reviews either.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually you do, if your goal is to convey that the Nexus has a bad display. The camera you're using does not represent the nexus accurately...not even remotely. It most certainly does NOT look anything like your photo in real life.
If it didn't have banding, the camera wouldn't make it up.
So unless you have some kind of 3rd party proof I'd have to assume the defects are in your head. I'm not seeing these supposed gradient flaws in any reviews either.
Agree to disagree I guess. 5 people on my end said "what the heck" when I pointed it out and no other device I've tried looks as bad.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If it didn't have banding, the camera wouldn't make it up.
I told you, the banding is in the PC version. It's real...it is not something only on the Nexus. I looked at the video on my PC, and could see it.

Agree to disagree I guess. 5 people on my end said "what the heck" when I pointed it out and no other device I've tried looks as bad.
I guess it is a huge coincidence that every reviewer missed it. I have never heard anyone else on this forum complain about it either. Just sayin.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Why is my S5 so laggy/sluggish when compared to my friend's new iPhone 6 Plus...

I guess it is a huge coincidence that every reviewer missed it. I have never heard anyone else on this forum complain about it either. Just sayin.
Could be just my N7, but I doubt it. Many reviewers said how amazing the Galaxy S3 display was, now a few years removed, owners admit it looked looked like crap. Heck, I haven't seen a AMOLED screen I liked (Including the S5).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why is my S5 so laggy/sluggish when compared to my friend's new iPhone 6 Plus...

Could be just my N7, but I doubt it. Many reviewers said how amazing the Galaxy S3 display was, now a few years removed, owners admit it looked looked like crap. Heck, I haven't seen a AMOLED screen I liked (Including the S5).

I doubt it is your N7 either. I think you are just more sensitive to banding than most people.

There are recent reviews...they do not mention display artifacts either.

The screen is highly responsive, exactly like an iPad’s. There’s no delay when tapping on buttons or links, and it’s also very precise: you can tap on a link in a list without having to first zoom in.

Nexus 7 review 2014 | best 7-inch Android tablet - PC Advisor
No mention of gradient banding.

With its 323-pixel-per-inch 1080p display, the current Nexus 7 remains a treat for the eyes. You can talk about Quad HD all day, but for a device of this size, full HD resolution looks fantastic and is every bit as impressive now as it was a year ago.

Nexus 7 revisited: How Google's latest tablet has held up over the past year | Computerworld

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Phone 6 vs iPhone 5S, annual update of Apple iPhone is one of the technology events of the year. IPhone last year was well received, but did not shine with the same intensity as the previous versions. A fresh new phone is an opportunity to offer something special for the fans, attract new customers, and demonstrate that the company's post-Jobs still has what it takes to master.
Apparently not when it comes to quality. Seems all this "omg metal offers way better build quality than crappy Android plastic" talk was a bit premature. If you're not careful with the iPhone 6, you will end up with a curved display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Samsung, on the other hand, seems to have perfected the art of making a non-bending large phone. Maybe Apple should be taking notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
This bending situation may be a good thing for Samsung and its upcoming Note 4 sales. Just a hunch, lol.

I am sure the commercials are already done and being sent out, heh heh

I am not even a Samsung fan really. But this myth that their build quality sucks needs to be destroyed. It hasn't been true for a long time. Their phones might be ugly but they are not fragile.

Apple build quality is another myth that needs to be put to rest. Metal is not an iWin button. Not saying Apple build quality sucks, just that it is way overrated. I have seen enough cracked iPhone screens over the years to know this myself.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I am not even a Samsung fan really. But this myth that their build quality sucks needs to be destroyed. It hasn't been true for a long time. Their phones might be ugly but they are not fragile.

Apple build quality is another myth that needs to be put to rest. Metal is not an iWin button. Not saying Apple build quality sucks, just that it is way overrated. I have seen enough cracked iPhone screens over the years to know this myself.

So true!

Posted with my Galaxy S5, via the Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Agreed!!

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why is my S5 so laggy/sluggish when compared to my friend's new iPhone 6 Plus...

I doubt it is your N7 either. I think you are just more sensitive to banding than most people.
So not to dredge this up again, but here is a photo of the Nexus 7 & iPad Air with both displays at max brightness, even though the displays were not calibrated to the same brightness and even though the camera wasn't pixel perfect, you can easily see that one display is much better than the other:

sDxmfzq.jpg

I know the conversation about the Nexus 7 display drifted a bit off topic, but I wanted to close the loop and it was commentary about how Android as a whole just is not as refined as iOS yet. In this example, same app, same quality setting, same video on a Nexus yields a vastly different user experience.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

So not to dredge this up again, but here is a photo of the Nexus 7 & iPad Air with both displays at max brightness, even though the displays were not calibrated to the same brightness and even though the camera wasn't pixel perfect, you can easily see that one display is much better than the other.
...in your photo. I already know for a fact your photo does not look like real life. As we already discussed, the photo uses a camera, which introduces it's own artifacts. Here's is 3rd party footage of movies running on a Nexus 7 (time index 7:25 or around there). I invite anyone reading to watch this and draw their own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsSLDpK8Ik

I don't believe you are lying. I do think you are wrong. Videos look nothing like your photo in real life on the Nexus.

I know the conversation about the Nexus 7 display drifted a bit off topic, but I wanted to close the loop and it was commentary about how Android as a whole just is not as refined as iOS yet.
Yeah, Android will need to release more buggy software before it can catch up to iOS apparently.

iOS 8.0.1 Is Breaking Cellular and TouchID on New iPhones, Don't Update

I am just not going to agree with you on the "refined" thing...especially not now. It's clearly not refined. I have never, ever, had a software update that broke basic cell functionality on an Android phone. Not on any phone I have owned (and I've had many going back to 2009). No amount of polished apps is going to make up for that IMO. It's not even the only iOS8 bug, it's just the worst one.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

...in your photo. I already know for a fact your photo does not look like real life.
I don't believe you are lying. I do think you are wrong. Videos look nothing like your photo in real life on the Nexus.
The picture above was captured with both devices together so it is fair to compare them. Comparing side by side, its easy to see that playing that clip with the same quality settings on YouTube looks much better on the iPad.

It very well could be a YouTube app issue, I don't know. But its obviously fine on iOS.
Yeah, Android will need to release more buggy software before it can catch up to iOS apparently.
Apple is really taking it on the chin with iOS 8, but I can tell you emphatically, iOS is smoother than Android. Its not opinion, it is fact. Disagreeing is just fanboyism & owners bias.

I bought a Nexus 7 hoping for a smooth iOS like experience, it did not deliver.

If you want to keep dredging up problems to throw at each other, feel free to look up Nexus 7 Multitouch issues. ;)

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

The picture above was captured with both devices together so it is fair to compare them.
If you say so. I don't agree.

In any case, the video I posted removed any argument IMO.

It very well could be a YouTube app issue, I don't know. But its obviously fine on iOS.
If it's an app issue, thats not Android. Thats the app.

That being said, I am not seeing anything resembling what you posted on my tablet.

Apple is really taking it on the chin with iOS 8, but I can tell you emphatically, iOS is smoother than Android.
I can tell you emphatically, I disagree. I have used iOS devices many times. My Apple friends (none of whom are techies) use me for tech support on them.

Its not opinion, it is fact. Disagreeing is just fanboyism & owners bias.
That goes both ways.

I bought a Nexus 7 hoping for a smooth iOS like experience, it did not deliver.
You don't need to justify your decisions to me. You are entitled to an opinion. I don't agree with you though.

If you want to keep dredging up problems to throw at each other, feel free to look up Nexus 7 Multitouch issues.
It would not matter to me personally, and for the same reason. I'm not having multi-touch issues on mine.

prlundberg

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Apple is really taking it on the chin with iOS 8, but I can tell you emphatically, iOS is smoother than Android. Its not opinion, it is fact. Disagreeing is just fanboyism & owners bias.

A lot of people confuse speed with smoothness. My S5 lags. There are over 500 threads on AC complaining about lag on the S5. YouTube videos show the delayed responsiveness. Yet dozens of people here continue to swear theirs doesn't lag one bit. Well, I don't believe them because all the evidence, including my experience, indicates otherwise. Whether or not it lags is not a question IMO, whether or not it is enough to bother them is the question. That said, smoothness isn't everything, which is why I kept the S5. Some people can't seem to understand that concept either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000