iPhone 6's are bending when sitting down?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just...wow. How could that not come up in testing?

ofsusggdsij01iksd8hq.jpg

Now it'd be one thing if these warps and bends were the result of back-pocket action. But both of these cases claim the front pocket is to blame. It's easy to tell someone who sits on their phone to knock it off, but the front pocket is a pretty established location for these kind of devices. Assuming these are legitimate and not some painstaking well-coordinated Photoshop prank, that could be quite an issue.

Some iPhone 6 Plus Owners Report Bending Phones Just From Sitting Down

So I guess there is at least one downside to a metal phone? At least when it is large and thin.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Didn't this come up with the iPhone 5 too? I'd imagine it's going to be a bigger issue with such an enormous slab.

I don't remember hearing about this on the 5S. Or any iPhone before.

I can see why it's happening...plastic phones would be more resilient because they bend back when the pressure is gone (assuming they don't break). A metal phone would keep it's shape though.

I don't know that any of these reports have been confirmed. It's possible that it is a hoax of some kind. At first glance it makes sense, but I have not heard reports of the HTC M8 doing this. And it is about the same size. Of course it is thicker.

Maladroit23

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
"It's easy to tell someone who sits on their phone to knock it off, but the front pocket is a pretty established location for these kind of devices."

People, please. Stop sitting down on your front pockets while your phone is in them. I mean, how is that even possible?

No but really. This is insane.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember hearing about this on the 5S. Or any iPhone before.

I can see why it's happening...plastic phones would be more resilient because they bend back when the pressure is gone (assuming they don't break). A metal phone would keep it's shape though.

I don't know that any of these reports have been confirmed. It's possible that it is a hoax of some kind. At first glance it makes sense, but I have not heard reports of the HTC M8 doing this. And it is about the same size. Of course it is thicker.
I remember it being a huge problem on the HTC EVO LTE. But if you search, you'll find links for bent iPhone 5's, HTC EVO LTE's, HTC ONE's, pretty much all the metal ones.

I don't really care about plastic or not, as long as it looks good and doesn't creak. It goes right into a case anyhow.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It remains to be seen if this is a real design fault or just the usual fringe case complaints that tend to come right after a big product launch.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
My Droid 1 was metal and I don't remember this happening. It got beat up and dented, but it never bent.

I am thinking it's only an issue with larger phones. And until now, the iPhone had no larger phones.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Its possible if the owner was wearing a seriously tight pair of jeans (or perhaps not so tight if the build quality isn't so good).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Didn't this come up with the iPhone 5 too? I'd imagine it's going to be a bigger issue with such an enormous slab.

Well, the 6 is larger and thinner... The length will cause a pretty sizable increase in torque.

I'm sure that the 6 will deform with less force than the 5s, just based on the physical dimensions.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
re: iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test

haha, about to post this, found on Ars.

You may want to change title to "Iphone 6 Plus Bend in pocket!" to attract more viewers! That may also make admin to move this to phone wars.

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
re: iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test

its just a band, the whole body is still extremely hard plastic.... lol

Whew! Good to know. Thanks.

It's funny reading all these tech sites sites trying to play this off like everyone should know better than to carry their phone in their pants pocket.

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test

haha, about to post this, found on Ars.

You may want to change title to "Iphone 6 Plus Bend in pocket!" to attract more viewers! That may also make admin to move this to phone wars.
Good idea. How do I change the tittle?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888