Moto X or iPhone 6?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X or IPhone 6?

The 6+ is the go-to phone for camera (and battery) performance and is getting a ton of praise in both regards. The regular iPhone 6's camera isn't as good. However unless they release a new batch without the warping aluminum body I wouldn't personally buy an iPhone. I pocket my phones frequently
That myth has already been disproven. Issue was vastly blown out of proportion.

unklsckness

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I am in the same predicament as you and was heavily considering both of the phones. As I am current Moto X user and looking to upgrade my phone. Motorola imho has done the best execution of software implementation on Android from a manufacturer, that said the size of the new Moto X was disappointing for me though I was willing to compromise. It was the camera and battery size were the straws that broke the camels back and now have me looking elsewhere. Don't get me wrong I love the Moto X old and new but those two things really bothered me. Now as for the iPhone everything was done perfect imho except that I don't like IOS. I will live with if I have to... What has peaked my interest is the Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact which does have Sony's overlay on Android whatever they call it. The Z3 though has no customization like the Moto X it's build is equivalent to the Moto X or HTC M8 and is completely waterproof with Snapdragon 801, 3GB ram, here is the killer is the camera 20.7mp camera and 3100mAH batter on the Z3, the Z3 compact has similar specs Snap dragon 801, 2GB same camera and 2600mAH battery. Though I have not used a Sony device before and I am heavily considering this phone now. Sony is making an announcement next week for US sales. I really hope it hits Verizon.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

I faced just this choice on Friday - and went with the iPhone 6. I went into the AT&T store all set to buy a Moto X (2014), having had the original Moto X which I bought on launch weekend a year ago. I LOVE the original Moto X, and was waiting for the new Moto eagerly. The camera was one of the few things I disliked about the original Moto X, and it seems that Motorola has continued its streak of crappy cameras. It appears workable in daylight (although the colors aren't winning any awards), but the low light tests on a few review sites put the Moto X (2014) camera in a whole new league of bad vs. other flagships. Sadly, in low light, the new Moto X camera is not even as good as the old Moto X camera.

The other disappointment is that only the 16gb Moto X (2014) is available in stores, and 32 is the max custom order. That's just not enough storage. Battery life is worse on the Moto too. In fact, looking at Anandtech, the iPhone 6 is more than 2x as fast on Sunspider as the Moto, while having significantly better battery life. Apple really did a nice job on the iPhone 6.

I was impressed by the improvements to the materials Motorola made....the new X is a step up here. It feels far more premium than its predecessor. But the iPhone is premium too, with nice touches like a sapphire cover glass over the camera.

So I looked at the new iPhone and was really impressed. Between the larger screen and iOS 8, Apple has closed a lot of the gap. Plus, it offers a better camera and touch ID which works very well. And then there are all the other intangibles, like a wide range of cases, accessories, etc. for the iPhone.

After years of Android, it will be kinda fun to try something new. So far, the only things I really miss are widgets and being able to put my icons where I want them. Everything else seems to be there, just a little different than what I'm used to.

No flames please - I'm not trying to post trollbait.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

I agree with most of what you write, but the conclusions about camera quality are premature. Firstly, the only comparison I've seen was on Gizmodo, and that one did NOT give the iPhone 6 a great edge, and in some scenes the Moto X actually did better. Secondly, Motorola has a history of significantly improving IQ with software updates (it was night and day in the 1st Moto X), even though this usually does not get picked up by the main review folks (e.g., TheVerge, whose Moto X score suffered a lot due to the camera score never updated their review, and it looked like it would have beat the iPhone 5S in terms of overall score had they done so).

It would be good to know what sensor is in the Moto X (2014). If it is the new Sony 13 Mpix one that's also in the S5, there is a lot more information in each image than the current processing engine realizes.

I'll be posting a better comparison between these two phones in the next few days.

As you, I see advantages in both phones, and in fact am strongly considering keeping both.

Scott Cove

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I am in the exact same boat. I really wanted the new Moto X, but the poor battery, poor camera, no SD card - and limited memory (32g/max) are all limiting factors for me. There is a great review on anandtech.com about the moto x and comparing it in many ways to other phones - battery, screen brightness, speed, and on and on.. and in most cases the Moto X is rated in the bottom 1/3 of the 15 or so phones they test. This was disappointing to me. I must assume the results are accurate for the given tests. I am now looking at the Galaxy S5 and the iPhone 6. I have an iPhone 4S now and I'd really like to make the change to Android, but now it's my money on the line - and I'll pay more for the iPhone if it's better - as I'll have the phone for 2+years, and paying $200 more is really only $8.33/month more ($200/24 months). I like many things about the new Moto X, but there are real show stoppers we are faced with - which we can overlook or not. As this is an Android forum, I'm sure most will poo-poo iPhone anything.. and that's fine, but we'll each make our own decision - and the above are my thoughts. There is another topic - "post your battery life" for the Moto X - or something like that. Shoot, this is being done to show us all the reviewers are wrong - and that battery life is fine. I'm sure they all twisted the truth and are fooling us with 'battery life is not great'.. but its really going to boil down to how you use the phone. I'm a light user I think, and I'd like to think the Moto X would be fine for me, but do I carry around a charger all the time for those days where I need it? Notice the Moto extra batteries you can buy.. the Aux ones that plug into the USB port to charge your phone - and the 35W charger, that will charge the phone in 15 minutes ($35).. ever wonder why these are needed / offered?

Scott Cove

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

Is a bigger battery (longer operating life), better camera, and an SD card (expandable memory) worth $100 to you?.. over 2 years, that's $4.17/month.. so is it worth that? Yes, it is.

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site

It is the Sony 13MP shooter. It just lacks OIS, similar to the iPhone 6's camera, although not the 6+.

Posted via Android Central App

IamMasterChat

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site

If I were to decide which phone to choose: Moto X or iPhone 6, I will have to identify first what fits for my daily use. I will qualify and compare the two phones by the criteria I have, not to mention, including the cost. Bottom line, these phones are great in every way.

slay65

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Since I only buy off contract. The $250 price difference is something to consider. Also I think active display is a must for me on the X.

I am not a big smart phone camera user but my wife takes good pictures with hers.

With regard to battery the quick charge should be helpful to top it to off if needed.

Just ordered mine so the waiting begins.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So iPhone camera may be a 10/10 and new X may be a 7/10, though when it's time to take that important as well as time sensitive shot, whether you're in maps app, browser app, or even phone screen is off, it just takes a flick of the wrist and walla, there you go x delivers.

On the other hand, if I'm hired to be taking pics of the bride and groom, I'll take the dslr.

(My point of view: I'm coming from a 3.5+ year old phone, and I'm absolutely positive the camera and battery are better on the X)

Posted via Android Central App

Paulo Cardenas

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I stumble on this forum searching for moto x 2014 issues. It seems I have several of them..
I’m lucky enough to own both the iPhone 6 and the moto x 2014 and despite the moto x being a fantastic device; I would have to recommend the iPhone 6.
So far my experience with the moto x has been somewhat frustrating. It seems theres a few bugs that need to be ironed out (hoping with L release). My previous android device was a nexus 5 and it was a smoother experience. Look, I appreciate the appearance and feel of the moto x. Nevertheless, there are quirky things that hardly ever happens with the iPhone. For example: when unplugging and plugging headphones back in, sometimes only one side of the headphones speaker works until the device gets rebooted. Occasionally moto voice will not recognize the launch command or it would stop working all together until reboot. My clock widget disappears on reboot (maybe is the app itself) . Snap chats randomly get deleted when opening or dismissing them from the moto lock screen launcher. Also, for some reason scrolling through the Facebook app is very choppy compared to my old nexus 5. (Switching the moto x to ART seemed to fix some of the choppiness) there a few other issues that I’m not going to mention because I think those are related to Android OS. I may be cherry picking here but all those little annoyances add up to a non-consistence experience. Not saying that the iPhone is free of flaws but in my opinion the overall experience is without a doubt more coherent.

l No Use For A Name l

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Just a heads up for all you iPhone 6 curious minds.... I work for a cell phone retailer and you would not believe the amount of people who purchased the iPhone 6 and came back in two days later complaining about the software glitches and speaker related issues not to mention your paying top dollar for a phone that just barely slides by a galaxy s5, never mind the g3 or likewise.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Got the iPhone 6 for a family member. +1 speaker related issue. It also feels like a toy.

It feels much better holding the Moto X.

l No Use For A Name l

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry I just can't buy in to the whole iPhone shenanigans. They release these phones that are at very best 6 months behind in the times and people are comparing them to galaxys on you tube every September. Is it sad that they are comparing a brand new device to one that's already half way through its lifespan and the s5 still eats it for lunch? Complete nonsense if you ask me

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry I just can't buy in to the whole iPhone shenanigans. They release these phones that are at very best 6 months behind in the times and people are comparing them to galaxys on you tube every September. Is it sad that they are comparing a brand new device to one that's already half way through its lifespan and the s5 still eats it for lunch? Complete nonsense if you ask me

Behind in which way though? The iPhone runs just as well, if not better than the GS5. Specs aren't the only thing that determine performance (and even the A8 is still a beast of an SoC). It has great battery life, a great screen, and a great camera. Not a huge fan of the software, but that is subjective.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I went New Moto X. I love the new iPhone 6/6+. I even have an iMac and I'm heavy into the iTunes/Apple ecosystem.
I love apple and iOS, I was just ready for something new and after owning the 2013 X, I knew this one could be "the one".

The camera isn't as good as iPhone 6. (I work at apple) The Moto assist / hands free is what I love most about the X.
I'm not a big fan of android, I think Touchwiz had something to do with that, but the moto x flies. Chrome scrolls soooo smooth.
I will of course get an iPhone 6+ later, for now, the moto x 2014 is an awesome phone.

I will say this. The camera on the X is an improvement over the last X in daylight. The new moto camera sucks bad in any low light.
Even when it IS nice and sunny out, the moto x seems to have a very hard time knowing what to focus on.
It takes several shots to get a good one. The iPhone doesn't have that problem.

Take all the iPhone issues lightly. I see a Lot of ignorant people come in and complain about their phone and it's the customer that is the issue, not the device. You would think an apple ID and password is rocket science... people can't even reset their password by themselves.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair