Google Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does it have the remote control feature that the Galaxy has???

No it doesn't, Google does things cloud base, and they will want you to do Chromecasting. They're not going to invest in analog technologies. I have to admit it's pretty useful, but I dont think it will ever be on a Nexus device.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I didn't see an IR blaster in the specs or being mentioned, so I don't think it will... Nexus 5 doesn't have one, so...

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

No IR blasting for controlling TV's and Set top boxes. But honestly you have to be pretty close for it to work.

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

My S4 and S5 have it and I LOVE IT!!!!!! Especially with a 1 yr old, he'll take remotes and hit buttons, so we take a battery out. We use the remote on the phones...

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have an IR blaster for TV remote control function.

I have it on my HTC One M8 and yeah, it can be pretty damn useful. Especially because it shows the TV guide and you can set reminders of TV shows and all that. Not really a 'killer feature' for me, but it's nice to have.

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I've got a harmony hub. Every device on my network acts as a remote. No Touchwiz required :p

Posted via Android Central App

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

That sucks 4.4 was designed for it :( https://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.4.html

"Infrared transmitters

When running on a device that includes an infrared (IR) transmitter, you can now transmit IR signals using the ConsumerIrManager APIs. To get an instance of ConsumerIrManager, call getSystemService() with CONSUMER_IR_SERVICE as the argument. You can then query the device's supported IR frequencies with getCarrierFrequencies() and transmit signals by passing your desired frequency and signal pattern with transmit().

You should always first check whether a device includes an IR transmitter by calling hasIrEmitter(), but if your app is compatible only with devices that do have one, you should include a <uses-feature> element in your manifest for "android.hardware.consumerir" (FEATURE_CONSUMER_IR)."

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

IR blaster is a must have on a device for me at the moment.

I was considering upgrading from my HTC ONE M7 and use the Remote as my primary remote. I know I could use a network remote for my Directv, but my surround sound and TV would relinquish me back to the stone age using 3 different remotes.

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Nexus 6 Does it have the remote control feature that the Galaxy has???

I've had it on 2 galaxy devices and never use it. Mostly because it doesn't do any dvr stuff and that's half of what I watch. Can't say I'll miss it.

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google Nexus 6 Does it have the remote control feature that the Galaxy has???

I've had it on 2 galaxy devices and never use it. Mostly because it doesn't do any dvr stuff and that's half of what I watch. Can't say I'll miss it.

I have ATT Uverse, and it does everything on the DVR

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Get a Harmony Hub. Seriously, if you have a home theater set up with multiple components such that you need multiple remotes to control your TV, your receiver, and your set top box or console all to just accomplish one activity, it will make your life soooo much easier.

IR blaster is a must have on a device for me at the moment.

I was considering upgrading from my HTC ONE M7 and use the Remote as my primary remote. I know I could use a network remote for my Directv, but my surround sound and TV would relinquish me back to the stone age using 3 different remotes.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Get a Harmony Hub. Seriously, if you have a home theater set up with multiple components such that you need multiple remotes to control your TV, your receiver, and your set top box or console all to just accomplish one activity, it will make your life soooo much easier.

I use the Harmony Smart Touch remote. They released the HUB after I bought my remote. I love that thing. Macro commands are awesome.

asnigro

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Had a harmony ONE that I bought from best buy for over $125 on sale. Screen cracked after a couple months from a short fall off the couch. Customer service was so bad on the phone I'll never purchase another product of theirs.

I did love the macro aspect of it, but I have to assume that feature will be coming to cell phone remote software soon.

rowdyspartan

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

I've been using my N5 to run media through my xbox1, roku3, & chromecast (total overkill, i know, but was curious on the roku). Solves for everything. volume control & on/off is all controlled by voice through xbox1. Voice control & streaming media is gaining momentum. Just something to consider if you are looking to invest in new tech.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

When it was first introduced last year, I was all over and even played jokes at LA Fitness & Bars. LOL

Now, I rarely use it. Easier to use the Rogers remote than have to switch back-and-forth with the Quick Remote app on my LG G3.

It would be nice if it became standard, at least you still have the option if you really want to use it.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

the note 4 controls my dvr, tv, and receiver very well and I'm on direct tv....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21