Cant decide between the Nexus 6 or the Note 4.....

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No phone is perfect..... You have to live with the good and bad no matter what you buy...

Early reviews are the camera on the Nexus 6 is really good... but your real world use and results may differ... I passed on the Note 3 and 4 because I am not a fan of Touchwiz (The Samsung Skin they put on all their devices) but some people really like it. So that is just personal preference....

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
No phone is perfect..... You have to live with the good and bad no matter what you buy...

Early reviews are the camera on the Nexus 6 is really good... but your real world use and results may differ... I passed on the Note 3 and 4 because I am not a fan of Touchwiz (The Samsung Skin they put on all their devices) but some people really like it. So that is just personal preference....

I'm aware that no phone is perfect, I'm just trying to buy the overall best phone that is out right now (or that will be out soon). I actually installed the google now launcher on the note 4 and prefer it over touchwiz. I also wonder if the Nexus 6 will outperform the Note 4 in benchmarks.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm aware that no phone is perfect, I'm just trying to buy the overall best phone that is out right now (or that will be out soon). I actually installed the google now launcher on the note 4 and prefer it over touchwiz.

The Nexus 6 will be the overall best phone (Android at least) when it drops next week.... and then in January it will be something else...... lol

Such is technology.... Rumors are Samsung is already working on a 6 inch 4K screen for the Note 5 to pair with a 64 bit snapdragon 810 processor....

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Return the Note 4 and try the 6 for 15 days if you have doubts. If all else fails go back to the Note if you don't like the Nexus.

ucsdsig

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think there are a few Note 4 owners who are in the same boat as OP. I've been pretty happy with my Note 4, but since I'm on VZW, I'm afraid the Note 4 will never be rooted and there will be a long wait for Android L. But the phone itself is great and I'm especially pleased with the camera quality.

But I keep finding myself intrigued by the N6. Maybe it's because I've used the Note 2 and 3 and want a change from Touchwiz. The big unknown for me is the camera performance. Am eagerly waiting for some detailed reviews to come out. Not expecting the N6 to outperform the Note 4, but hoping it can come close. Oh, and the lack of simultaneous voice and data also concerns me.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Lets be honest, anyone with a Samsung who thinks they are going to get anything close to what 5.0 should be after Samsung gets done with it is a glue sniffer.

chris-farley-3-tommy-boy.jpg

sniffing2.jpg

sniffing-glue.jpg

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!

If you're just basing whether you will keep the Nexus 6 on those two questions, then the Nexus 6 will disappoint. I can assure you the screen and camera are not as good as the Note 4. I'm not saying the screen or camera are bad, but Super AMOLED is better than AMOLED anyday and early "first impressions" already confirmed that. But the Nexus 6 screen is more than acceptable.

The Note 4 camera is also one of the very best cameras you can get on a phone where as the Nexus 6 camera has moved the Nexus cameras away from "meh" to "pretty good".

I was aware of all that when returning my Note 4 myself and I can't wait for my Nexus to arrive this month.

Cheers.

johnnnnnymtl

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually in the same boat. But I think I've pretty much made my decision: going with the nexus 6. Although I do like the idea of an SD card and a removable battery (both of which note 4 has) I prefer the idea of getting the latest android experience. I also wasn't super fond of Samsung battery life so I'm just willing to try something new and fresh :)

Posted via the Android Central App

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
If you're just basing whether you will keep the Nexus 6 on those two questions, then the Nexus 6 will disappoint. I can assure you the screen and camera are not as good as the Note 4. I'm not saying the screen or camera are bad, but Super AMOLED is better than AMOLED anyday and early "first impressions" already confirmed that. But the Nexus 6 screen is more than acceptable.

The Note 4 camera is also one of the very best cameras you can get on a phone where as the Nexus 6 camera has moved the Nexus cameras away from "meh" to "pretty good".

I was aware of all that when returning my Note 4 myself and I can't wait for my Nexus to arrive this month.

Cheers.
Those were just some of my concerns not all. I can live without the S pen, I can live without the removable battery and micro sd since 64gb is more then enough memory for me. I really like the idea of having updates straight from google and having the closest stock Lollipop android experience you can currently get. I'm just not sure if that will be enough to prefer the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 since camera quality and screen quality is important to me. Also knowing whether the Nexus 6 can outperform the Note 4 in benchmarks would also help my decision :).

plummerdc

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Personally I have got to say, I was a fan of the Note series for along time, I have note 1 & 2 and loved them. Then I had my first Nexus device (the 4) and i have to say unless your rooting and using Cyanogen or something else. The stock android experience blows away touchwiz. Also if you check out the Lolipop on the Nexus 6. It looks to me like everything the android experience should be. Id go with the Nexus 6

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Those were just some of my concerns not all. I can live without the S pen, I can live without the removable battery and micro sd since 64gb is more then enough memory for me. I really like the idea of having updates straight from google and having the closest stock Lollipop android experience you can currently get. I'm just not sure if that will be enough to prefer the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 since camera quality and screen quality is important to me. Also knowing whether the Nexus 6 can outperform the Note 4 in benchmarks would also help my decision :).

Your entire reply reads of compromising for the Nexus 6. To me, it sounds like you'd be happier with the Note 4.

As I said, the Note 4's camera and screen are better than the Nexus 6. That's a given. You "living without" the battery, microSD, and S-Pen, even though you really enjoy them, would just be compromising for the Nexus 6.

So, you can basically sum up this...

Note 4:

+ Screen
+ Camera
+ Removal Battery
+ MicroSD
+ S-Pen
- TouchWiz (Some people enjoy it, but I'm writing it down as a negative due to the fact you want to use stock Lollipop)

Nexus 6:

+ Stock Lollipop
- No MicroSD
- No S-Pen
- Worse Camera (not bad by any means...)
- Worse Screen (not bad by any means...)
- No Removable Battery

To me, it seems like the choice is clear. Stick with the Note 4. In fact, if you're on Verizon or have the option to switch, just go buy the Note 4 Developer Edition when it's available and wait patiently for someone to release a stock Lollipop ROM for the Note 4. (Though, if they do this, you'll lose out on some of the S-Pen functionality.)

Also, the Nexus 6 and Note 4 will be about neck and neck in benchmarks. They use the same processor.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Note 4 and I still am in my 14 day return window. I have had almost every iPhone except the 5S(I had the iPhone 6 Plus) and this has been my first android phone. The Note 4 is very good device but it is not perfect. The Note 4 has noticeable lag, doesn't take very good low light photos, and the build quality is not so good even though it now has metal. I was lucky enough to get an order through Motorola for a Nexus 6 but I'm a bit concerned whether ill regret jumping to the Nexus 6 and returning the Note 4. Will the photos from the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? Will the screen for the Nexus 6 be as good as the Note 4? I feel like just keeping both phones but that sounds a bit crazy... Any help will be much appreciated!!

I think the Note 4 screen and camera will be a little better, but only a little, and the Nexus 6 will have better build quality and no lag. Most people switching from iPhones tend to like Nexus phones better because the software is clean, simple, and lag free like iOS. Samsung phones are known for cluttered, slow software.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Your entire reply reads of compromising for the Nexus 6. To me, it sounds like you'd be happier with the Note 4.

As I said, the Note 4's camera and screen are better than the Nexus 6. That's a given. You "living without" the battery, microSD, and S-Pen, even though you really enjoy them, would just be compromising for the Nexus 6.

So, you can basically sum up this...

Note 4:

+ Screen
+ Camera
+ Removal Battery
+ MicroSD
+ S-Pen
- TouchWiz (Some people enjoy it, but I'm writing it down as a negative due to the fact you want to use stock Lollipop)

Nexus 6:

+ Stock Lollipop
- No MicroSD
- No S-Pen
- Worse Camera (not bad by any means...)
- Worse Screen (not bad by any means...)
- No Removable Battery

To me, it seems like the choice is clear. Stick with the Note 4. In fact, if you're on Verizon or have the option to switch, just go buy the Note 4 Developer Edition when it's available and wait patiently for someone to release a stock Lollipop ROM for the Note 4. (Though, if they do this, you'll lose out on some of the S-Pen functionality.)

Also, the Nexus 6 and Note 4 will be about neck and neck in benchmarks. They use the same processor.

It's premature to pass judgement concerning relative camera performance. Wait until we see the build of Lollipop and camera app actually arriving on the released Nexus 6, first. Even on preliminary, though, it's worth noting reviews commending that Nexus 6 did better in low light.

Also, you left a couple..

Note 4:

- Eventually will get its Touchwiz-altered Lollipop. If users are lucky, they may see one more generation of Android OS make its way to the Note 4.
- Generally sold carrier-locked, and limited band compatibility with other carriers
- Frequently reviewed as laggy

Nexus 6:

+ Ships with Lollipop. Will almost certainly get at least the next 2 generations of Android OS, and likely more
+ Sold unlocked, compatible with all 5 US carriers
+ Consistently reviewed as lag-free

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Also, you left a couple..

Note 4:

- Eventually will get its Touchwiz-altered Lollipop. If users are lucky, they may see one more generation of Android OS make its way to the Note 4.
- Generally sold carrier-locked, and limited band compatibility with other carriers

Nexus 6:

+ ships with Lollipop. Will almost certainly get at least the next 2 generations of Android OS, and likely more
- Sold unlocked, compatible with all 5 US carriers

I didn't think mentioning that Samsung would get a "Touchwiz-altered Lollipop" was necessary.

The OP specifically said "I really like the idea of having updates straight from google and having the closest stock Lollipop android experience you can currently get", so it was kind of a given that it was a negative about the Note 4 and summed up with "- Touchwiz". :)

Didn't think about carrier choices or if the OP cares about that, though.

NerdTopper

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
So if the Note 4 is an overall better phone then what reason would anyone have to get the Nexus 6 if both phones are pretty expensive? Are people mostly getting the Nexus 6 purely for the fact that its pure android?

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
All your negative are subjective.....
Man, you wrote way too much, especially when you're wrong. Didn't bother reading past your first sentence.

Anyhow, the negatives I put up there were negatives because the OP pointed them out himself as things he'd miss but could live without if forced to with the Nexus 6.

I have NO PROBLEM with the Nexus 6 at all and those ARE NOT negatives to me. My post was relative to the OP's posts, that's it. That's why I returned my Note 4 and I will have a Nexus 6 this month. Thank you very much.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So if the Note 4 is an overall better phone then what reason would anyone have to get the Nexus 6 if both phones are pretty expensive? Are people mostly getting the Nexus 6 purely for the fact that its pure android?

If I were you I'd wait.... Google isn't allowing full blow reviews of the Nexus 6 until after 11/12... So right now everything is just subjective on what people speculate is better or worse between the two devices... and early adoption of the latest and greatest version of Android in the Nexus device can have growing pains from time to time as Lollipop will just now being released to the masses.. Some times it's great and some times there are bugs and we see a lot of patches and updates in the first month or two....

I've owned 3 Nexus devices and I just love the way they work.... It's my personal preference... Hardware wise your pretty much looking at a wash.... Both have 2K screens, Both use the 805 Snapdragon processor, both have 3 GB of RAM, Both have the same size battery... Your choice comes down to the latest Android software or Touchwiz overlay on an older version of Android (for now.... Note 4 will probably see Lollipop with Touchwiz in January)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Man, you wrote way too much, especially when you're wrong. Didn't bother reading past your first sentence.

Anyhow, the negatives I put up there were negatives because the OP pointed them out himself as things he'd miss but could live without if forced to with the Nexus 6, 5 - marks and 1 + mark but say your going with the Nexus....................................................

I have NO PROBLEM with the Nexus 6 at all and those ARE NOT negatives to me. My post was relative to the OP's posts, that's it. That's why I returned my Note 4 and I will have a Nexus 6 this month. Thank you very much.

LOL... I simplify my too long post for you.. Everything you wrote + and - is all subjective to individual users.....