Forbes Article - Apple has "Taken Down Android"

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So this is very much a "click bait" article in a way and posting a link to it on a website called "Android Central" will obviously cause controversy. I have been a happy Android user since my HTC Inspire. I would just like to hear from Android die hards (and AC staff) about what they think of the article. I personally think this is overblown (and this writer seems to REALLY like Apple).

Oh and this has NOTHING to do with MARKET SHARE.

Tim Cook Defused Steve Jobs' Thermonuclear War, Then*He Took Down Android - Forbes

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
What kind of response do you think you'll get here? The majority of the responses will disagree with it on this forum. Post it on iMore and you'll get a different response from the majority.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
That's the fun. Post the same article on macrumor forum and android central forum and compare the responses it always fun.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Personally I think the guy is just trying to make a name for himself.

Making up his own fantasy about all of this is just yellow journalism.

OEMs choose alternative shipping methods to keep cost down and the move to 64 bit chipsets have been on the road map far longer than of Apple's choosing too. Now that 14 nan diesets are being utilized all one has to do is to look at where Qualcom is headed.

He is nothing more than a paid swill of Apple to generate doubt about the other platforms and use Samsungs choice of utilizing their own hardware to shore up their lagging sales due to their own greed to saturate the market.

The iPhone is a flagship phone but it is not the only one available to buy. Their own arrogance kept them out of the mid-tier market as well as the lower tier and doesn't help them destroy the Android platform.

The 810 chipsets are just beginning to show up with the release of the LG Flex 2 and the rest of the OEMs will follow suit. I don't think Apple has anything that can stop Android or the other OEMs from continuing their domanice of the mobile market.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The title is certainly click baity but the content is kind of interesting in a make stuff up that sounds intriguing but has no basis in fact kind of way. But I see a bunch of major flaws in his reasoning.

1. hardware hedging can be countered simply by software optimization. But this is a moot point anyway because iPhones have long enjoyed a smoother OS due to less features for the OS to juggle, so =/= IMO.
What less features? With IOS8 you can argue that the iPhone offers a lot more features than Android does. Do not confuse features with flexibility. Also the point of this article is how Apple controls the supply chain which hurts the competition.

2. We've already reached a hardware ceiling where the hardware has surpassed what's required by the software. Yet another example where hardware hedging isn't helping Apple anyway.
Base on last sales figures, it looks like its helping a lot, no company in history has just made as much money in a quarter than Apple did..

3. Apple still buys (last time I bothered to check anyway) a lot of components from android OEM's like Samsung so I don't think the author did all of his homework here. Apple bought parts from Samsung for products as recent as the iPhone 6.
Apple designs the hardware, the main thing Samsung does is manufacturer the chip to those specifics. Also can you tell me what are "Android" parts? Are you telling me if Ford uses Bridgestone tires and Toyota has Bridgestone tires, you would call them Ford parts?

4. I failed to see any proof of the author's claims to back this story up. Are we to just take his word for it? Read the links in the article. They actually don't say anything to support his theory. Pretty weak overall.
Actually when it comes to the supply chain part of the article it is true. Even right there is a quote from the former CEO of Motorola on why the Nexus 6 never got a fingerprint sensor. Here is the AC article on the same subject. The Nexus 6 would have featured a fingerprint sensor if not for Apple | Android Central.

I get the impression the author is just making most of his article up and wrapping it inside a "edgy conspiracy theory" package hoping it sticks despite no evidence to support it. Not credible. Kind of reminds me of that series Ancient Aliens lol.
The truth is out there.

Answer in bold.