One M8 vs. Z3

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Just at that point where I'm getting bored with the M8. The M9 is to similar and not enough of a step up and the S6 doesn't have a SD card which is a no no for me. Leaving the Z3.
What do you guys think... Worth the move?
Tks

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thinking of moving to a Z3...

Just at that point where I'm getting bored with the M8. The M9 is to similar and not enough of a step up and the S6 doesn't have a SD card which is a no no for me. Leaving the Z3.
What do you guys think... Worth the move?
Tks

why not wait a few months and get the Z4 when it's released? Mind you there isn't much of a difference in the Z lines - but something tells me the Z4 will have a software change / update compared to the Z3

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

why not wait a few months and get the Z4 when it's released? Mind you there isn't much of a difference in the Z lines - but something tells me the Z4 will have a software change / update compared to the Z3
I did think of that but there are rumours that the Z4 will be doing away with the sd card too!
I can pick up a new Z3 for €400 of I decide to go for it...

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I came from the Z3v (Verizon Wireless version of the Z3) to my HTC Desire Eye because I changed carriers (Z3v can't do LTE on AT&T). Do I miss it? Yes and No. I picked up the HTC Desire Eye over the M8 mainly because of its waterproofing and size (similar to Z3v). At the same time I got the HTC, I decided to try a Z3 Compact(very similar to a Z3) as well to do a direct comparison.

Overall, the Z3 line is a great phone! Battery life is amazing, Sonys overlay is minimal, and hardware is nice... but the camera software needs some work. It has lots of options, but slow shutter speed made me CONSTANTLY miss shots of my cats, cars, etc.. I didn't realize how much I missed a fast(er) camera until I picked up the HTC Desire Eye. Also, it turned out that what I was missing most about the Z3v, the Z3 and Z3 Compact dont have - Wireless Charging (neither does the HTC for that matter, but Im making the point that my reasoning for desiring Sony was weighted towards something not available on many of their phones). And with the waterproof flaps on the Z3, I am just tired of opening flaps when i want to charge.

So, primarily due to the camera, I have returned the Z3 compact and stayed with the HTC. The Z3 doesn't offer anything (except a bigger battery) over my HTC Desire Eye and that is not worth having a camera that (while you can get good shots) is not able to catch those "moments" when you need a camera.

If Sony fixes the camera would I go back to Sony? Absolutely. Especially with the Z4 on the horizon (no flaps to cover charging ports!). The battery life and hardware of Sony is so appealing to me. But for now, I will rock the HTC and will enjoy taking my pictures! :D

Since you have a M8 instead of the Desire Eye, the waterproofing might be another bonus for upgrading. But I HIGHLY recommend checking out the camera beforehand.

jcdub

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I came from the Z3v (Verizon Wireless version of the Z3) to my HTC Desire Eye because I changed carriers (Z3v can't do LTE on AT&T). Do I miss it? Yes and No. I picked up the HTC Desire Eye over the M8 mainly because of its waterproofing and size (similar to Z3v). At the same time I got the HTC, I decided to try a Z3 Compact(very similar to a Z3) as well to do a direct comparison.

Overall, the Z3 line is a great phone! Battery life is amazing, Sonys overlay is minimal, and hardware is nice... but the camera software needs some work. It has lots of options, but slow shutter speed made me CONSTANTLY miss shots of my cats, cars, etc.. I didn't realize how much I missed a fast(er) camera until I picked up the HTC Desire Eye. Also, it turned out that what I was missing most about the Z3v, the Z3 and Z3 Compact dont have - Wireless Charging (neither does the HTC for that matter, but Im making the point that my reasoning for desiring Sony was weighted towards something not available on many of their phones). And with the waterproof flaps on the Z3, I am just tired of opening flaps when i want to charge.

So, primarily due to the camera, I have returned the Z3 compact and stayed with the HTC. The Z3 doesn't offer anything (except a bigger battery) over my HTC Desire Eye and that is not worth having a camera that (while you can get good shots) is not able to catch those "moments" when you need a camera.

If Sony fixes the camera would I go back to Sony? Absolutely. Especially with the Z4 on the horizon (no flaps to cover charging ports!). The battery life and hardware of Sony is so appealing to me. But for now, I will rock the HTC and will enjoy taking my pictures! :D

Since you have a M8 instead of the Desire Eye, the waterproofing might be another bonus for upgrading. But I HIGHLY recommend checking out the camera beforehand.

Thanks for your advice. On my M8 I've found a delay in taking a picture it could be up to a couple of second!
I suppose if i bought a magnetic charger the need for opening flaps would be minimum...
I would wait for the Z4 but hearing rumours of no SD card is pruning me off, plus I have an offer of getting a brand new Z3 for €400 is appealing..

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your advice.

I suppose if i bought a magnetic charger the need for opening flaps would be minimum...
I would wait for the Z4 but hearing rumours of no SD card is pruning me off, plus I have an offer of getting a brand new Z3 for €400 is appealing..

No problem! I was also planning the magnetic charger route, but then i realized that most OEM options (I have read about aftermarket pulling the magnetic contacts out of the phone :eek: ) are all in docking stands (at least here in the US). And docking stands don't always work well with cases.

Good luck!

C Jackson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I actually went from the M8 to the Z3 (actually a bunch of phones in between but I won't get into that) and couldn't be happier with the Z3. The camera seems better to me (and as fast) and overall I like the way it feels in my hand. I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk