any droid maxx/turbo users ever use LG? (camera questions and more)

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It's been debated back and forth enough, and if you disagree with me, I'm not really posting this for the debate. I'm ready to move on. Easter came and went and in amazingly lit environments, the photos I took with multiple people in the room were all ruined. Half people in focus, half a blurry mess. So again...this isn't to debate the quality/satisfaction. To me, it failed. I wanted to love this phone. And it did so much right. But summer vacations and concert seasons are starting, and I simply am done with "making due".

The upcoming LG G4 seems to be touting the camera I want/need. I've never owned an LG before so wanted some comparative input from anyone out there with experience with them as a whole? I know rher are LG forums but I'm looking for a more targeted group with similar relation to droids.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have the turbo, and my wife had the LG G3 for 6 months. She had Samsung devices before that. The G3 camera dominates all the other cameras on any phone I've seen, and a lot of stand alone cameras themselves. It's not that big of a deal to me, but it was important to her. Looking at the pictures side by side, there is really no comparison. I honestly don't know how they could improve on it. I'll stick to my full day + battery, and lag free turbo though.

Posted via the Android Central App

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had the G2 and thought it was an awesome device. The battery was spectacular and the camera wrote good. Knock, knock is nearly as good as Active Display. I do like the more stock experience Moto delivers though.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's been debated back and forth enough, and if you disagree with me, I'm not really posting this for the debate. I'm ready to move on. Easter came and went and in amazingly lit environments, the photos I took with multiple people in the room were all ruined. Half people in focus, half a blurry mess. So again...this isn't to debate the quality/satisfaction. To me, it failed. I wanted to love this phone. And it did so much right. But summer vacations and concert seasons are starting, and I simply am done with "making due".

The upcoming LG G4 seems to be touting the camera I want/need. I've never owned an LG before so wanted some comparative input from anyone out there with experience with them as a whole? I know rher are LG forums but I'm looking for a more targeted group with similar relation to droids.

I've owned the new S6 EDGE. also the iPhone 6 plus arguably the best camera phones out. Also the G3 which had an amazing camera itself.

LG has indeed been doing a wonderful job with cameras.

But take it from me man I left the S6 edge after a few days purely because of batter life alone . so just make sure before you jump ship it has decent battery life. The G4 that is...

I'm not going to switch I absolutely love this phone.

PS. The default camera app is pretty bad. Try out a few apps in the store.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've owned the new S6 EDGE. also the iPhone 6 plus arguably the best camera phones out. Also the G3 which had an amazing camera itself.

LG has indeed been doing a wonderful job with cameras.

But take it from me man I left the S6 edge after a few days purely because of batter life alone . so just make sure before you jump ship it has decent battery life. The G4 that is...

I'm not going to switch I absolutely love this phone.

PS. The default camera app is pretty bad. Try out a few apps in the store.

At one point I had four additional camera apps installed, plus the Moto camera. Ultimately, I'm back to just the Moto and the Google Camera (for Lens Blur shots only). That's what I toted around on my Droid Maxx previously, too. There are a lot more functions and settings and the hope of better shots with third party camera software. In practice, I found all I got was pics not much (if at all) better, and vertigo from trying to keep all the camsras straight and decide which one to use.

For what it's worth, A Better Camera was the final extra to be uninstalled. It's the one I'd say to try first yourself if you're so inclined.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I have been waiting and hoping for a camera fix or maybe thinking lollipop could possibly fix my pics, but I am constantly missing shots and opportunities now, and I don't really want a whole summer of what I consider bad photos.

I truly love this phone, and obviously there is a give and take with any phone one pics, but the decrease in quality from my maxx to the turbo sucks. The closest I can find for the combo of camera and battery is the G4 (well if the rumors are true). I'll be giving up some battery life, but truthfully, I'm usually close enough to a charger (home, work desk, car) that I can get juice when I need it. Also it is rumored to have quick charge as well. So it may be worth a look for me. Just LG as a whole I have no experience with, so the feedback is great.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have the Moto Maxx (not Turbo, but essentially the same phone), and coming from a LG G2. Both have their advantages, but I think the G2's camera is actually better (despite it being "only" 13 megapixels)...don't underestimate OIS. If photos were more important to me, I'd stick with the G2 (but I don't take many photos, so I'm using the Maxx as my DD for now). My idea of a "perfect" phone (today, anyway) would be the Maxx but with OIS for the camera along with an IR blaster added.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Even had the turbo stayed with the same camera as the Maxx, I would've been happy. Got some amazing shots. I'm about simplicity. Point and shoot. So the turbo increased all these MPs but I can't get a good pic for the life of me. Tried downloading apps (free abd paid) and the focus was always too slow and pics always blurry. So I finally (after Easter) decides it was time. It sucks because I've always been a droid person and its quite a process changing phones, but to me camera is a lot more important than I realized when I started coming away from events (concerts/sports/etc) with barely a useable photo.

DoyouFanBoyBro

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I took this with the turbo. Obviously the AC app compresses it some but yeah. It takes great pics IMO

Attachments

• 229.jpg
    229.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
As I said...we don't need to open that debate. I take a lot of action shots (sports) and strange lit shots (concerts with crazy lighting) and the camera blows for that use. Its a great camera for objects standing still or landscapes, but the focus/shutter is painfully slow and really doesn't accomplish what I personally want. I dont care for pics of a cat by window standing still. Look at the picture post for examples of moving objects even in perfect conditions.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the G2 prior to the Turbo. The camera was quite good, however, it did have a horrible delay in the time it took to actually take the pic from when you tapped the button. Many missed shots with my 2 year old as a result. Using Xdabbebs camera mod helped, but never could get that snappy shot.
I'd imagine LG has improved upon that with the G4.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
That example is in perfect lighting, and with the slightest of movement. 98% of the pics I took on easter came out like that. Half the people in the shot fine and half a blurry mess. so AGAIN I will say, this isnt a debate about if YOU think the camera is good. It doesnt perform in the most simple of conditions for me, even in optimal settings (i know, I should tell everyone dont move and demand the baby hold still) so I want some feedback on LG cameras, not your opinion on stationary Turbo pictures.

RJ_Butler

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My camera has always been great, minus the slightly slow shutter. I managed to take pictures of my friends doing backflips on a trampoline, and not a single one was blurry. I don't understand some of the problems people are having with this camera.

Attachments

• 1428849929769.jpg
    1428849929769.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 25

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not going to fill up the thread with too many examples, but these were basically all of my easter pics. Not sure what else one could do in a perfect lit room with multiple people. So again, if anyone else wants to add to the LG experiences, please do, and many thanks!

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
sigh, ok...lets do this again. Please look at my pictures and explain what I (the user) must be doing wrong taking pictures in a perfectly lit environment and having 85% of the picture fine but a slightly moving object a blurry mess? I dont understand the constant need to disprove my dislike of the camera when all I want is info on another one?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
that was about 5-6 rows away at a concert. Lighting was not all that challenging. My needs may be different than most. so Im going to keep looking. But if you cant understand why some people have a problem with this, well, thats ok, but I dont really enjoy any of the examples I posted. I work in hockey and am constantly trying for a quick action snap, and if the baby pictures look bad, well the game ones are a million times worse.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the replies. I have been waiting and hoping for a camera fix or maybe thinking lollipop could possibly fix my pics, but I am constantly missing shots and opportunities now, and I don't really want a whole summer of what I consider bad photos.

I truly love this phone, and obviously there is a give and take with any phone one pics, but the decrease in quality from my maxx to the turbo sucks. The closest I can find for the combo of camera and battery is the G4 (well if the rumors are true). I'll be giving up some battery life, but truthfully, I'm usually close enough to a charger (home, work desk, car) that I can get juice when I need it. Also it is rumored to have quick charge as well. So it may be worth a look for me. Just LG as a whole I have no experience with, so the feedback is great.

I'm just personally glad to see someone else mention that their experiences with the Turbo camera is worse than it was with the Droid Maxx. That has been my specific observation and experience, as well. At least where motion shots are concerned. The Turbo clearly takes better shots for me outdoors with no motion and even with some motion. It's nice to have corroboration. Well, not nice for either of us, really, but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc