Is there anything worth upgrading to?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at what's available, hearing about problems that shouldn't exist in 2015, then evaluating my 1st gen x and I've come to this conclusion.

I have no complaints. I can't see a compelling reason to upgrade yet.

What have you been thinking of upgrading to?

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would almost wait to see what Moto releases this upcoming summer. I can't run my MX anymore, but personally, I have been looking forward to the G4, or maybe the M9.

The downside is, the MX2013 was a great device all around. Nice size to use without needing 2 hands, big enough for decent viewing of videos, and considering the size of the battery, very good battery life.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I think camera is a good reason to upgrade. Unfortunately moto is never a good option for that. Hopefully a 2015 x with a camera in the ballpark of samsung will come.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I think camera is a good reason to upgrade. Unfortunately moto is never a good option for that. Hopefully a 2015 x with a camera in the ballpark of samsung will come.

That's my hope. The camera in the 2014 Moto X is no better than that in the 2013, and I would happily upgrade to the 2015 Moto X if the camera is better. I'm getting tired of having a phone whose camera is no better in reality than what I had in my RAZR V9, and that includes outdoor shots as well. The inconsistent focus in particular is really getting on my nerves. I love my 2014 Moto X and still use my 2013 X as well but the lousy camera issue is a huge flaw in otherwise awesome phones.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
That's my hope. The camera in the 2014 Moto X is no better than that in the 2013, and I would happily upgrade to the 2015 Moto X if the camera is better. I'm getting tired of having a phone whose camera is no better in reality than what I had in my RAZR V9, and that includes outdoor shots as well. The inconsistent focus in particular is really getting on my nerves. I love my 2014 Moto X and still use my 2013 X as well but the lousy camera issue is a huge flaw in otherwise awesome phones.

While I agree that there are many phones with better cameras, and I would prefer to have a better one, I haven't had issues with focus. I generally get the pictures I want.

I will have to admit though that I've never been one to care much about photos, before and after the proliferation of good smart phone cameras. That said, I have to wonder what prevents a company from putting OIS in a new phone. What's the real cost difference? I know many claim that the N6 has an average camera but I've seen comparisons that seem to prove otherwise. As it uses Google's camera software it seems OIS provides quite an advantage.

If Motorola can significantly improve the camera, I imagine that would be enough for most buyers. Having the best of everything just doesn't matter to me, and I imagine I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I also think that if smaller 720p screens would improve performance and battery life it should be considered. My wife has never complained about her iPhone screen res, and I honestly am not looking for a spectacular media experience when using my phone. I paid good money for I nice TV, why wouldn't I watch movies on that?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I have to wonder what prevents a company from putting OIS in a new phone.

Maybe it's cost, who knows. But I have to admit that having OIS is awesome, as I had it on my Nexus 5. I mainly take pics to put on ebay, and OIS makes taking clear pics so much easier. With my X, I sometimes need to snap 2-3 photos to find 1 good one.

A 720 screen doesn't bother me for a sub 5" screen, but I really think 1080p is needed for 5" and above. I might just wait for the new X to come out and buy the 2nd gen, as the price will go way down. I can live with always being a generation behind and saving a lot of money.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
When my Moto X dies I'm getting the GS6. My phone internal speaker has been cutting in and out for about 6 months now. Every time it stops working if I bang it around or throw it on the ground a bit it seems to reconnect. One of these days I'm sure it won't and that's when I'll send my Moto X to the cell phone graveyard. I have no interest in the 2014 Moto X.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When my Moto X dies I'm getting the GS6. My phone internal speaker has been cutting in and out for about 6 months now. Every time it stops working if I bang it around or throw it on the ground a bit it seems to reconnect. One of these days I'm sure it won't and that's when I'll send my Moto X to the cell phone graveyard. I have no interest in the 2014 Moto X.

Why don't you upgrade it now? A malfunctioning speaker is definitely a reason upgrade.

Last edited:

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Don't do it man. The S6 has terrible battery life.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I am not the richest person, nor do I front.

I'm going to push my moto x to the max. I love the screen size, feel, and pretty much stock android. Camera, not the best, does the job.

I do not foresee upgrading until I really need one. My moto x is fast as ever on kit kat. I do not have 6 or 8 hundred dollars to spend on a phone...not even 350

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I also think that if smaller 720p screens would improve performance and battery life it should be considered. My wife has never complained about her iPhone screen res, and I honestly am not looking for a spectacular media experience when using my phone. I paid good money for I nice TV, why wouldn't I watch movies on that?

I never put too much emphasis on a high resolution screen but after 2 yrs with my DNA I don't think I could ever go back to 720p. I can tell a noticeable difference between it and my dad's Razr HD which is 720p. At this point I'm leaning towards and S6 for my next device.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I never put too much emphasis on a high resolution screen but after 2 yrs with my DNA I don't think I could ever go back to 720p. I can tell a noticeable difference between it and my dad's Razr HD which is 720p. At this point I'm leaning towards and S6 for my next device.

Yeah, same with desktop monitors. (using 4k and hate to force myself to use 2k for gaming because i cant run 60@ on 4k)

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I have an M8.

With the:
Samsung S6 plus
Samsung Note 5
Oneplus Two
iPhone 6S
Nexus 5 2015
and more...

Coming out, I think it is well worth the wait