Android VS iOS

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I phones are only dual core are they not?

and so far what has octa core really brought to the table? or even the 3gb of ram that seems to have added absolutely 0 benefit to the s6 experience? chrome tabs still refresh on their own when reopening. tapatalk messages vanish if you close the app and come back to it later.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I agree with a lot of what you're saying but I believe if the software was a bit different then we could see significantly different battery life as well. Android has too many battery hungry processes and Samsung should not add so much additional stuff. Things like Gear VR processes running in my background recently and for what.

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
No need to debate like this. Both are great ecosystems, just choose what you are happy with. For the TS, I like how you compare both ecosystem and I think both have their own strengths and weaknesses. So stop saying this is better than that or vice versa. Choose with what you are happy with and move on.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Here in Australia it's more for the Samsung. 1240 for a 128gb iPhone six plus and 1120 for only a 64gb s6

I'm surprised at how much variability there is on pricing from market to market. Verizon is $599, $699 and $799 on S6 (32,64,128) and $749, $849, and $949 on the 6+ (16,64,128). Even the regular iPhone 6 is more expensive than S6 on vzw. Yet I hear the opposite in other regions.

Posted via the Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just recently switched to a 6 Plus after months/years on Android. Been on a Nexus 6, S6, or G3 since November. The difference in battery life is night and day. I don't have to monitor anything and it EASILY makes it through a day. On any of my most recent Android phones I had to either manage what was running or I had to spot charge throughout the day.

However, I do still miss the customization and freedom with Android. I also miss the overall Google integration. Sure you have the Google apps on iOS, but you don't have the same integration. I can't even make Chrome my default browser.

But the 6 Plus never lags and this ridiculous battery may keep me with iOS for now. Every Android phone seems to be lacking something. Slow camera, bad battery life, terrible upgrade/update process.

Difficult crossroad for me right now.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I just recently switched to a 6 Plus after months/years on Android. Been on a Nexus 6, S6, or G3 since November. The difference in battery life is night and day. I don't have to monitor anything and it EASILY makes it through a day. On any of my most recent Android phones I had to either manage what was running or I had to spot charge throughout the day.

However, I do still miss the customization and freedom with Android. I also miss the overall Google integration. Sure you have the Google apps on iOS, but you don't have the same integration. I can't even make Chrome my default browser.

But the 6 Plus never lags and this ridiculous battery may keep me with iOS for now. Every Android phone seems to be lacking something. Slow camera, bad battery life, terrible upgrade/update process.

Difficult crossroad for me right now.

It's like you read my mind lol

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
No need to debate like this. Both are great ecosystems, just choose what you are happy with. For the TS, I like how you compare both ecosystem and I think both have their own strengths and weaknesses. So stop saying this is better than that or vice versa. Choose with what you are happy with and move on.

I just found this thread, and I think it's one of the best 'this vs that' thread I've seen in a long time.
Great civility in the discussion and some really great contrasts being drawn.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It's like you read my mind lol

They're both great phones and great operating systems. I've been on Android since the original Droid X. I LOVE Android. But at the end of the day, the only thing it really does that iOS doesn't (for me at least) is the customization. Battery life and smoothness go to iOS. And the day to day ease of use goes to iOS, too. And I think those are the most important things for me and what I want to do.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I completely prefer Android to iOS. The limitations on iOS for how I use my device drive me bonkers. But in terms of optimization, android is a **** show compared to iOS. Problem is, I don't just use my phone to share social networking, play games, and surf. I rely pretty heavily on file management, Google Now, and a couple of apps neither app store will allow but I can side load. I also have a preference for the 3 button on screen menu buttons. I prefer Android keyboards. I prefer Android multitasking.

There's things I prefer from iOS. Stricter app store submission requirements, performance, zero bloatware, zero carrier interference.
It's not based on anything concrete but I just have a gut feeling Apple is going to do something with iOS 9-10 that's going to kick Android right in the nards. I'm holding off until this Fall to upgrade just to see what happens.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I completely prefer Android to iOS. The limitations on iOS for how I use my device drive me bonkers. But in terms of optimization, android is a **** show compared to iOS. Problem is, I don't just use my phone to share social networking, play games, and surf. I rely pretty heavily on file management, Google Now, and a couple of apps neither app store will allow but I can side load. I also have a preference for the 3 button on screen menu buttons. I prefer Android keyboards. I prefer Android multitasking.

There's things I prefer from iOS. Stricter app store submission requirements, performance, zero bloatware, zero carrier interference.
It's not based on anything concrete but I just have a gut feeling Apple is going to do something with iOS 9-10 that's going to kick Android right in the nards. I'm holding off until this Fall to upgrade just to see what happens.

I absolutely agree on the things you prefer on Android over iOS. Those are some of the biggest issues I have with using iOS. However, I think for what I use my phone for mostly (texts, emails, calls, fantasy sports, and sharing pics and videos) iOS works great for me. For now...

sjaduae

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Although the OP shared her experiences on how she uses and finds the differences between these two devices I'm not sure other than being a nicely written posting translates to others
(Before I continue I would say Australian phones tend to be unlocked international versions that usually get OTA updates first unlike some US carriers and there are more apps than Imessage for "free" WiFi messaging etc for all platforms)

I'm a gadget freak and must have the latest and equally I ensure my family are also up to date, with iphones and macbooks, etc although I run Windows 8 not IOS, we have all ditched the Ipads we have tried.

However, as you would expect on forums like this (and my posting) there is a certain amount of bias as we are all most probably more enthusiastic about our phones, far more postings are from US users.

Step outside the US, Europe and major cites and few other capitals and talk about Apple store service eco systems of cross devices, contracts and packages/bundled deals etc become less meaningful

I'm sure there are many more users who buy "smart phones" that simple do not customize them, never update, load limited apps or have data plans etc etc, There's a whole army of grannies and granddads with tablets/iPads for playing solitaire and reading the news

For these users many of the issues we discuss or find annoying are irrelevant to them, the have a nice phone that they could do things with that have good battery life in their experience and of course they are even less likely to be posting here :)

My usage of my data plan despite being an enthusiast is very light ie mainly emails work/personal (200 ish per day) I don't play games or stream video/youtube so my battery like tends to be good on my S6 if not better than my S5. I have not had a contract phone with bundled txt's/calls for over 18 years so I have no compulsion to try and get my monies worth of using up my call time or sms allocation etc that some feel the have too. Consequentially my OST is low.

In my travels in the Middle East and Far East I meet far more people without data plans and Iphones, simple sharing data with these people is easier with a non IPhone device. I don't know if its a DOS or Windows thing or I'm just getting old but I like directories and folders, android allows this and in drag and drop which allows me to structure my data and music how I want.

I have done my time with customization with Windows CE/ROMs/jail breaking and found I spent more time fiddling than anything else, Android IMO allows the right amount of customization without it becoming a full time hobby :)

As you can read I am a strong believer of the silent majority and how one uses his or her device varies greatly and so battery expectations will also be different. I would say one of our biggest downfalls is we spend more time moaning at companies like Samsung than the average Apple owner. This IMO is not only a bit self defeating it may also be in part why we lost some features on the S6's.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
When I research and read and read in these and other forums that such and such device is giving such and such problems. Such and such devices are giving such and such problems.
Yes, you can aid your purchase decision by reading in Mobile Nations forums.
Lots of reports of poor battery life means the device has poor battery life.
Whenever I start looking into purchasing a device, I read the Mobile Nations forums on that particular device, and it's always served me well.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
@emad1995 ... I'm only quoting your post because it's readily available, but my below comments are not directed specifically at you ... they are directed in general to the whole idea of how we compare phones around here.

First off, I totally understand that not all devices are created equal, and that some relativity in comparisons has to be used. That said, this whole business of "you can't compare this phone to that phone" is ridiculous as often as that is said around here. What people are generally comparing is the EXPERIENCE of using one phone vs. another. In this case, it's the iPhone 6+ vs. the GS6. Yes, the 6+ has a larger battery and "lesser" display ... but as others have said, what we are really comparing is two flagship devices that are at the same basic price point. I think that's a way more than fair comparison. ie: you can buy one phone or the other with the same hit to your wallet, and should be getting roughly the same experience of usability and screen time, etc.

Long story short on the above is, Samsung made some decisions to go with a smaller battery and better display on the S6 ... and if that's inherently going to cause the battery to drain more quickly than "comparable" devices, then I personally find that to be a bad choice on Samsung's part. They chose a slimmer design for aesthetics vs. a slightly (VERY slightly) thicker design for better function. At least, that's how I see it.

Now, on to one of the main issues we seem to discuss over and over here. Apple has somehow found a way to have their phones (with less ram and a less powerful processor) to run longer and more fluidly than most android devices - and this is withOUT having to "manage" your phone's settings for things like location, wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, so on and so forth. I'm not tech savvy enough to know what the deal is, but it baffles my mind from a common sense standpoint that the "comparable" android phones are not ALL getting the same basic performance from the battery, and the same basic fluidity from multi-tasking & app switching. And please, I don't need an explanation of how what Android does is with multi-tasking/app-switching/whatever is different technically than what Apple phones do. To 99% of users out there, they all "do" the same thing. You open an app, switch to another app, then switch back, etc. The background apps should all come up right where they left off, on all these phones, period. Whether it means the app was floating solely in the RAM, of if it was written to a cache to be reloaded later, I dont know, and I don't care. The point is, all these flagship phones SHOULD do that effortlessly.

The other thing is, when comparing the apple phones to the android phones (or iOS to Android) is a lot of talk of customization. I can't argue with that. Apple has their stuff locked down pretty good. But, the benefit is, a typically smoother running phone, and most all the apps they give you to use are as good as what else is out there. You can debate the lack of being able to customize the look of your messaging app, but in the end, as long as it handles SMS/MMS properly, allows you to easily see the conversation, etc... then there really isn't a problem. The only thing left is "Hey, I'd rather my message bubbles be color X for incoming, and color Y for my own. That has very little if anything to do with functionality, unless the stock colors are so similar and the layout of the app is so screwy that it's hard to read.

Now, I'm not here promoting apple/iOS, or dogging Android. I LOVE my S6, and can't see me switching back to an Apple phone. There are just too many things I like about Android vs iOS. But the point of this thread is comparing one phone/system to another... and it's a very valid comparison if you ask me.

I still think the only real problem with the S6 that cannot be solved via software updates and bug fixes is the battery ... you can talk all you want about 5.1.1 coming out, but the battery is going to be the same exact size then as it is now. There might be slight improvements in battery life, but if you are expecting 5.1.1 to change your SOT from 4-5 hours up to 9 hours, I hope you're not holding your breath. Samsung SHOULD have made the phone thicker to put close to a 3500mAh battery in there, which would have barely increased thickness of the phone, and made the effective depth of the camera bezel smaller - both of which would have been GREAT improvements.

The iPhone 6 plus is $970 before tax and the s6 is $750 before tax in my country, and that is the base model for both. The iPhone is 200$ more expensive so that's why I am getting mad that people are comparing a cheaper phone to an expensive one. If the prices are the same in your country then sorry for my arrogance.

Ps. I live in Canada

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

What do you think would need to happen for the carrier bloat issues to go away, since at least here in the US, the big 4 will not accept a no bloat phone from anyone but Apple thus far? Or is that a pointless question where the deck of cards will permanently be stacked against Android?

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Do the carriers need Samsung?
What I mean is; AndroidOS has fragmented competition.
iOS has no iOS to compete with.

There is also the fact that Apple has a mad legion of fans waiting to buy every new Apple device, therefore Apple sets the terms if carriers want to jump on the money train.

Android doesn't so much, so it's more the carrier saying "Oh, you want us to carry your phone? OK, but......".

Posted via my Galaxy Tab S 8.4" running IronROM v2.x

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Here's another thing.
Does Apple have as many returned devices as others?
You read of so many Android users going back for a 3rd or more replacement.
The carriers don't want to deal with that crap.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non