Android VS iOS

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
This is my story.

This month I had to leave my phone company because of the fact that maintenance work had been going on in my area since Feb. They told me that maintenance work could be going on in my area for months and that the work around issue would be to sit in different areas of my house so I could try to get better reception. I told them to forget that and asked to cancel my contract. They cancelled my contracts for both my mobile broadband and mobile phone for nothing but said I would need to pay $1000 for my iPhone six plus. I have no issue doing this as I am in love with the iPhone six plus though it will probably end up going to debt recovery and being fortnightly instalments seeing as I am on the pension.

I then went to sign up to telstra. Seeing as Vodafone had made me take my phone with me there was no point in getting another iPhone six plus so I went with the Samsung galaxy s6. My very first two smart phones were a Samsung galaxy s2 and a Samsung galaxy s4. I had an issue with my charger port on my s4 at month 18 of my contract where the phone wouldn't recognise the charger and therefore wouldn't charge. At the time they had told me that it would cost $180 to fix while Samsung themselves said it would probably be covered under warranty. I have heard from different places that this is a known Samsung device fault. I steered away from another Samsung device last august worried about having this same issue and instead got my very first ios device. An iPhone 5c.

It took me a long time to get used to the differences. The biggest differences were the size and the battery life. My s4 could often run for up to nine hours whereas my 5c would need charging every four hours or so. I also have huge hands. For a female my ring size is a size nine. I would get hand cramps from using the 5c. It was too small for me.

However there were some things about ios I was falling in love with. The updating system without the carriers, the customer support and the speed and stability of the system. Therefore when my contract was ready to be renewed in February I looked at many different phones after initially wanting an iPhone six plus (the whole bend gate thing gave me a good scare lol). I was also nervous at just how big this phone must be as everyone was talking about its size.

However after literally 50 to 100 hours researching the galaxy note 4, oneplusone, Samsung galaxy s5, HTC m8, Sony Xperia z3 and iPhone six plus I decided iPhone six plus was the best phone on the market. I decided to go to my local store and try it out to see just how big it was and was surprised as after all the talk I was expecting it to be this huge monstrosity when I could actually use it one handed lol. I decided then and there I was going to get the iPhone six plus.

Anywho back to getting the s6. Telstra told me that I could pay $149 at the end of 12 months and take in my phone in good working condition and I could get any brand new phone on the market. So I decided this would probably mitigate the charger port issue as it had only happened 18 months into the contract. So I decided to go with the s6.

The past week or so I have been going back and forward between my six plus and my s6. I have the sim card in my s6 and using my six plus over WiFi. The differences between the two systems are huge.

Android:

*a disgraceful five hours of on-screen time

*phenomenonal camera- the camera on the six plus doesn't even compare to the s6

*More freedom- better customisation, widgets, no crashes on third party keyboards

*More expansive app store- a lot more games and apps available that I am interested in but I have also noticed some apps that I use on iOS missing on android

*Sometimes lagging

*Apps sometimes crashing

*I have always HATED the way the updating system works on Android where the carriers determine when the update comes out

Apple:

*PHENOMONAL battery life. Makes my s6 look like a toy

*No customisation. I would miss Nova launcher sticking with ios.

*Lack of widgets and third party keyboards like SwiftKey constantly crash

*Incredible customer service. I once told the story how once I got charged twice for an app on Apple. I contacted them and within 24 hours had a response saying that I had been charged twice because they wanted to determine there was money on my card and that I would get the money back. Which I did. When they hadn't heard back from me they emailed me back asking me if I had had my issue resolved.

*Apple care and apple store

*Expensive and sometimes limited accessories

*Imessage- in my opinion the best messaging system ever. My best friend and boyfriend are both with Apple so this is a very important thing for me as they live in America and it therefore doesn't cost me money to message them

*Incredible updating system. I am in love with the fact that being in Australia on iOS I get the update at the exact same time as people in America whereas on Android it can take weeks or even months for me to see the update here in Australia.

*speed and stability- to think I thought ios had bugs haha

These are the things I'm noticing. I have had a lot of trouble choosing between the two operating systems. I still am not sure which I like more. Though I think the battery life is going to be the deal breaker for me and if 5.1.1 on Android does nothing to solve battery life issues I will be putting my sim back into my iPhone six plus and using my s6 as a camera and WiFi only

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your interesting and well-balanced discussion. I know that the iPhone 6 excels at idle battery life, but can you give us an idea of how much screen on time you're getting with it?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your interesting and well-balanced discussion. I know that the iPhone 6 excels at idle battery life, but can you give us an idea of how much screen on time you're getting with it?

I have the iPhone six plus. Currently on my phone over WiFi without a sim it says usage 7 hours 18 minutes. Standby 1 day 16 hours with 35% battery remaining

I also miss the back button from the Samsung when I am using my iPhone. A lot of times I keep trying to use where the back button is on the Samsung on my iPhone and am like "why isn't it working?" lol

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Another positive about the updates on IOS is your pretty much assured to get the latest updates and updates to next version for the next two years. My first Android was a Nexus 4 and the only reason I finally decided to go Android was that I'd get the latest OS and updates and a clean OS/no bloatware.

I do like my G3 and will stay with Android but I don't like that you will 'probably' get two version updates but they come so late in the cycle. As long as you don't have any major bugs I guess it's not a big issue. But you know there could be minor issues that could be fixed with little updates throughout the year but you'll never really get those because they will probably have to go through the carrier or wait forever.

When you own a Nexus you do feel you're gonna be supported for a couple of years software wise because it comes straight from Google at the same time. If you're on another brand, you pretty much feel like you're on your own after the next model comes out because Google has to release the update for the phone, Manufacturer has to modify for the hardware of that particular phone, and then carrier has to make sure it works with their bloatware. Not good when you feel you've paid as much as an iPhone for some models but tossed aside once a new model comes out.

Apples way is really a beautiful way where you can have an iphone 4S, 5, 5C, 6, 6+ and they all got the current IOS update at the same time, regardless or carrier and where in the world you are. And also on their iPads. And you pretty much know you're good like that for a couple of years.

Microsoft is saying they will have that type of control with Windows 10 Mobile. If so, I think that will be a huge advantage for them to make improvements on the OS when needed. I hate windows 8 on my desktops... but if they can make 10 work and they can really close the gap between desktop and mobile, that could be a game changer. I always thought that was the direction of Mac OS and IOS. A merge of Chrome OS and Android wouldnt be as powerful as the former.

I'm thinking... maybe that's why as good as the S6 is, it won't sell as well as iPhone. Because you get the most exciting looking Android on the market with the beautiful metal everyone is asking for... but you know from past... next year they will have a new model and no one will care about your phone. I mean look at the S5 owners that spent money on theirs... they just get Lollipop now and you know no one really cares about supporting the S5 anymore while you know you have a iphone 5 and you're still enjoying getting the updates when everyone is at the same time.... new features come out, and you've got them too pretty much when everyone else gets it.

Just a thought.

I have the iPhone six plus. Currently on my phone over WiFi without a sim it says usage 7 hours 18 minutes. Standby 1 day 16 hours with 35% battery remaining

I also miss the back button from the Samsung when I am using my iPhone. A lot of times I keep trying to use where the back button is on the Samsung on my iPhone and am like "why isn't it working?" lol

Last edited:

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

I have a 6 Plus as well and while it's hard to get an equivalent Screen on Time (Apple "usage" is not the same), I'd say I get a solid 8-10 hours (not gaming, mostly reading or browsing) on my 6 Plus.

And, here's the big thing - not one thing needs to be shut down on my iPhone - I have WiFi calling, Bluetooth ON, VoLTE, all Google services synching, NFC (Apple Pay), etc. My S6, on the other hand, is lucky to get 3.5 hours SoT with half of Android's coolest features turned off (no haptic feedback, no widgets, no Google Now, brightness way down, no VoLTE, no WiFi calling, no NFC, etc.).

You are right, though. Where the iPhone truly excels, and what the test sites don't measure, is idle (Standby) time. I might burn 1-2% in idle over the course of an entire 10 hour work day on my iPhone if I'm not using it. My S6 loses 3-4% per hour (sometimes more) just sitting there so I can often leave my office and be down to under 60% (on a bad drain day) not having touched the S6 if it's a super busy day for me.

As much as I love my S6, the difference is day and night.

Last edited:

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I have a 6 Plus as well and while it's hard to get an equivalent Screen on Time (Apple "usage" is not the same), I'd say I get a solid 8-10 hours (not gaming, mostly reading or browsing) on my 6 Plus.

And, here's the big thing - not one thing needs to be shut down on my iPhone - I have WiFi calling, Bluetooth ON, VoLTE, all Google services synching, NFC (Apple Pay), etc. My S6, on the other hand, is lucky to get 3.5 hours SoT with half of Android's coolest features turned off (no haptic feedback, no widgets, no Google Now, brightness way down, no VoLTE, no WiFi calling, no NFC, etc.).

You are right, though. Where the iPhone truly excels, and what the test sites don't measure, is idle (Standby) time. I might burn 1-2% in idle over the course of an entire 10 hour work day on my iPhone if I'm not using it. My S6 loses 3-4% per hour (sometimes more) just sitting there so I can often leave my office and be down to under 60% (on a bad drain day) not having touched the S6 if it's a super busy day for me.

As much as I love my S6, the difference is day and night.

Not having to micromanage the settings on the iPhone 6+ was such a great experience. I could leave location services and other settings active and not have to worry about it draining my battery life. Totally opposite experience when it comes to android. In order to get decent battery, I need to go through each of the settings and disable certain options to make it through the day. It doesn't really bother me since I've gotten used to it through the years, but it would be so much better if I didn't have to troubleshoot my battery drain.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Usage time on the iPhone and on screen time is not the same thing. You cannot do an estimate to do an accurate comparison. Also my s6 lasts between 24 to 36 hours and up to 4 to 5 hours of on screen time, and your also comparing a lower res screen with a bigger battery to a higher res screen and a smaller batter so your comparisons are not anywhere close to being accurate. This is like comparing a one plus one to the S6. Battery is better on the one plus one but same thing applies. So I'm my opinion (and it's just my opinion ) this comparison is useless.
Just my 2 cents. Not a fan boy of any one platform or brand just stating my point of view. :)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Have both phone also although I consider myself an android user. I have a lot of apple gear to go with my iPhone 6+, iPad Air 2 and MacBook Pro. I like them all fine.

All the things the OP mentioned as pros and cons I agree with. I would add some of my observations as although the 6+ has better battery life than the S6 it is not as good as the Nexus 6 in my usage. All three devices can get me through a full day as I am a medium user with the only the % remaining being different. Quick charge and wireless charging are pluses for the Androids as it is pretty easy to keep them topped off. I have received the out of memory pop up on my 6+ several times and then have to close apps, usually after playing beach buggy or zombie gunship. I have never seen this on my Nexus 6 or GS6. I agree that the iMessage platform is superior to anything I have used on android. The ability to send photos and videos over the system is quite amazing.

Finally, while I consider the 6+ a very capable device I often get bored with it and go to one of my androids. I mean not being able to pick where I put my icon on iOS? Maybe it is my individuality coming out but I appreciate the ability to set up my device as I wish!

Last edited:

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Usage time on the iPhone and on screen time is not the same thing. You cannot do an estimate to do an accurate comparison. Also my s6 lasts between 24 to 36 hours and up to 4 to 5 hours of on screen time, and your also comparing a lower res screen with a bigger battery to a higher res screen and a smaller batter so your comparisons are not anywhere close to being accurate. This is like comparing a one plus one to the S6. Battery is better on the one plus one but same thing applies. So I'm my opinion (and it's just my opinion ) this comparison is useless.
Just my 2 cents. Not a fan boy of any one platform or brand just stating my point of view. :)

There's no need to be rude by calling something I put a lot of thought into "useless"

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site

I know it seems like the 6 Plus has a "much" larger battery but it's fascinating that it is only 10% larger than the S6 edge (2915mAh on the 6 Plus vs. 2600mAh on my S6 edge). It's clearly all about Apple's magnificent OS battery management. I think Android has many incredible features and really enjoy the platform, but battery management is clearly not one of them

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I know it seems like the 6 Plus has a "much" larger battery but it's fascinating that it is only 10% larger than the S6 edge (2915mAh on the 6 Plus vs. 2600mAh on my S6 edge). It's clearly all about Apple's magnificent OS battery management. I think Android has many incredible features and really enjoy the platform, but battery management is clearly not one of them

I find myself using my six plus more because of this issue. I love my s6 and usually use it until it dies but I'm lucky to even get five hours out of it in a charge. If the battery life was better on the s6 I would probably right now only be using my six plus for imessage

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Ignore that user/comment, you are right in the way you compared it.
It's Device A vs Device B. If Device A has smaller battery for its higher res screen, then that's the manufacturer's decision. Your comparison of the experience on A vs B is correct, you're comparing the experience out of the box and the iPhone sounds like all of the design decisions result in better battery life, even if some of us feel that it lacks other features.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I would add some of my observations as although the 6+ has better battery life than the S6 it is not as good as the Nexus 6 in my usage. All three devices can get me through a full day as I am a medium user with the only the % remaining being different.

Totally opposite for my usage. The battery life on my Nexus 6 is sadly about the same as the S6. I can improve it running a custom ROM and kernel, but I prefer to just stay stock without any mods. In terms of battery life, the 6+ was as good as the Note 4.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I really wasn't being rude. I was being honest that it was a useless comparison. A iPhone 6 and S6 is a much better comparison.

The i6 and GS6 levels the playing field but the comparison that really matters is the one makes you happy with the choice you made for your daily driver. The daily driver is the one you use to the exclusion of others. I made a decision and went with the GS6. If it proves to be a not so good choice, I will start again. Research, evaluate and purchase.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
You can't really compare the battery life of the iPhone 6 plus to the s6. You have to compare the regular iPhone 6 battery

Posted via the Android Central App

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I really wasn't being rude. I was being honest that it was a useless comparison. A iPhone 6 and S6 is a much better comparison.
You can't really compare the battery life of the iPhone 6 plus to the s6. You have to compare the regular iPhone 6 battery

I disagree, the 6+ and S6 are both companies' leading edge phones as of right now. Getting into the minutiae of "well this is designed for this and that so should only
be compared to such and such" is just plain over-thinking it.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Totally opposite for my usage. The battery life on my Nexus 6 is sadly about the same as the S6. I can improve it running a custom ROM and kernel, but I prefer to just stay stock without any mods. In terms of battery life, the 6+ was as good as the Note 4.

Interesting. I usually do not see less than 50% on my nexus 6 after a routine day. Once I tried to use the phone as much as I could and got into the 40's. I usually get good battery life because I am OCD about closing stuff and backing out of apps. The best device I have seen on battery is the one plus one and xperia Z2. Not sure why my iphone 6+ has not been as stellar on battery as others get. It is not bad, but not as good as my stock nexus 6.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, the 6+ and S6 are both companies' leading edge phones as of right now. Getting into the minutiae of "well this is designed for this and that so should only
be compared to such and such" is just plain over-thinking it.
That's like saying which is faster, a stock Challenger or a Challenger with the Hellcat engine.

Compare like device features and by performance on a level playing field not a leveled out playing field. I6+ has a bigger battery and fewer features with limited customization. Of course, it's battery life is better.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple owners, IMO, have a difficult time transitioning from a highly, optimized but limited customization ecosystem where everything is packaged for and very little is afforded to you to tune the device and make it your own. My perception, and i may be the only one on the planet, is being told what you need and like versus having the option to customize, conformity vs individuality.