OnePlus Two or Moto X Style

What would you buy if you had $400?

• Total voters

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pick one and maybe list your reason why.

I would personally pick the X Style because it has NFC and Quick Charging, something that the Two doesn't and both of which I use on a regular basis. The Two isn't a bad phone, but it doesn't fit my usage pattern.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Pick one and maybe list your reason why.

I would personally pick the X Style because it has NFC and Quick Charging, something that the Two doesn't and both of which I use on a regular basis. The Two isn't a bad phone, but it doesn't fit my usage pattern.
Between these two, it would be the X. No quick charge + no removable battery = fail. Early reports are upwards of 3 hours for complete charge of the OP2. That's embarrassing.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure yet. But as Moto likes to point out......a phone is a useless brick if the battery runs out. I might take the 3300 mah and 1080p screen over what Moto has done. Hopefully they'll be some reviews of both before ability to order so I can see them in action. I wanted Moto to step up and they stepped up in the $400 price range. But unfortunately it's fallen short again of my expectations.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Between these two, it would be the X. No quick charge + no removable battery = fail. Early reports are upwards of 3 hours for complete charge of the OP2. That's embarrassing.

I hope that's with a 1A charger.

If it's 3 hours with a 2.1A charger, that's poor. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Moto X Style:
  • No OIS
  • No Fingerprint Reader
  • Starting Price: $399 for 16 GB

OnePlus Two
  • OIS + Laser Auto Focus
  • Fingerprint Reader
  • $329 for 16 GB and $389 for 64 GB (also 4 GB ram with the 64 GB option)

hmmm

OnePlus Two: 5.5 inches with FHD + 3300 mAh battery

Moto X Style: 5.7 inches with QHD + 3000 mAh battery

I wonder which one will give the better battery life hmmm

jasonvvong

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What Kaido said directly above is very important. You have to compare phones with similar specifications. A 16gb, 3gb RAM Moto X Pure is $71 more than a 16gb, 3gb RAM OnePlus Two. Also, the OnePlus Two probably won't be charged sales tax, while the Moto X Pure will, so that should be taken into account. If you go from the low end OnePlus Two to the high end version, you get an extra gig of RAM and 48 gigs of extra memory for $70.

I'm leaning toward the OnePlus Two because its basically the OnePlus One (which is what I currently have and works very well for me), but with a better camera. I need a phone that has OIS or something that will offset my shaky hands. Maybe the Moto X Pure will have something to address that, but we don't know as of right now. I could care less about NFC, usb ports, 3+ hours to charge a phone, etc. I can charge my phone at work for 3 hours if I need to. I can also charge my phone in my car if I need to. I don't have a lifestyle where I will be unable to charge my phone for a total of 3 hours within a 24-36 hour period.

I also hope the OnePlus Two has the option to turn off the fingerprint scanner. It's overkill for me.

Last edited:

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll take stock Android (plus useful apps) over a customized OS any day, so Moto would take my dollars. That said, the new OnePlus does seem like an improvement over the original.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A 16gb, 3gb RAM Moto X Pure is $71 more than a 16gb, 3gb RAM OnePlus Two. Also, the OnePlus Two probably won't be charged sales tax, while the Moto X Pure will. For $71 more, you get an extra gig of RAM and 48 gigs of extra memory.

Hm? I believe you may have typo'd here.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
One plus one charges tax to California so no good for me. Also, moto x is way better for me. QHD! Yay

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My vote goes to the Moto X Style:
NFC,
Micro SD,
Quick Charging,
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
No invite needed

Compared to One Plus 2:
no NFC
no SD card
no quick charging
and OxygenOS based on Android 5.1

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This one is tough. I use my phone mostly as a media/gaming device, with the occasional talk/text, so I like the larger displays. Camera is important, but I'm content with where most phones are at now, as they're all better than my Nexus 4 and S4.

If I were to get either one of these, it'd be for personal use. My work phone, which I use for before and after photos, email, adding articles/pics to my blog and Facebook page, and Google maps, will most likely be between the Note 4, Note 5, Edge+ and iPhone 6+.

So for personal use, UX and battery are my two biggest concerns. I prefer stock/near stock and don't want to worry about battery life all day. I'll use an external battery back if need be, but I'm an active Dad and if I'm at the pool or beach, at a baseball game or wherever on the weekends, I don't want to worry about my phone dying. I'm a moderate to heavy user, and during the work week it's easy enough to keep my phone plugged in at my desk or if I'm traveling, in my car. That long wait time to charge the OP2 is alarming, so battery life would need to be significantly better. Time will tell.

So both these phones are reasonably priced, unlocked, bloat free, unbranded and offer a near stock experience. That alone puts them in serious contention.

The Moto X I like the UX even more than stock, cause the few features Moto included are extremely useful. It's pretty much perfect. I also like the front facing speakers and SD slot. What had me the most concerned is the display/battery ratio. I was shocked when I saw the Play version had 3620 then the Style only have 3000. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect only 3-4 hours SOT which just won't cut it, despite the turbo charge.

The OP2 is just a cool phone, period. Aesthetics aren't something that I put much thought into, but I really like the looks of it. I like the looks of both actually, and think it's nice that you can buy different back plates. My next phone will last 30-36 months minimum, so the USB-C is a plus. I also like the 3300 battery and 1080p combo, that was a smart decision on their part. OIS is a big advantage, abs that might be what puts the camera ahead. NFC isn't something I use, so that's a non factor.

Ultimately, I'll be reading real world reviews, and I'll be paying close attention to battery life. If the OP2 is significantly better, I'd lean towards that. I'll be deciding between these two phones, as well as the Nexus.

If I was forced to make a decision right now though, I'd choose the OP2. I'd be more than happy with either device, they're both huge upgrades over my Nexus 4, but that 5.7" 1440p display combined with the 3000 battery has me concerned. I have my S4 grandfathered into VZ unlimited, along with a 27% corporate discount. The Nexus 4 is on T-Mobile, and doesn't get the world's greatest signal indoors, so I'd like to use WiFi calling, or just have both devices on VZ. That would obviously disqualify the OP2 so we'll see.

Either way, even though I was disappointed the Pure didn't have a 3500+ battery, overall I'm happy with both phones. At $400 to start, some compromises need to be made, I was just hoping it wouldn't be the one thing I cherish most.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This one is tough. I use my phone mostly as a media/gaming device, with the occasional talk/text, so I like the larger displays. Camera is important, but I'm content with where most phones are at now, as they're all better than my Nexus 4 and S4.

If I were to get either one of these, it'd be for personal use. My work phone, which I use for before and after photos, email, adding articles/pics to my blog and Facebook page, and Google maps, will most likely be between the Note 4, Note 5, Edge+ and iPhone 6+.

So for personal use, UX and battery are my two biggest concerns. I prefer stock/near stock and don't want to worry about battery life all day. I'll use an external battery back if need be, but I'm an active Dad and if I'm at the pool or beach, at a baseball game or wherever on the weekends, I don't want to worry about my phone dying. I'm a moderate to heavy user, and during the work week it's easy enough to keep my phone plugged in at my desk or if I'm traveling, in my car. That long wait time to charge the OP2 is alarming, so battery life would need to be significantly better. Time will tell.

So both these phones are reasonably priced, unlocked, bloat free, unbranded and offer a near stock experience. That alone puts them in serious contention.

The Moto X I like the UX even more than stock, cause the few features Moto included are extremely useful. It's pretty much perfect. I also like the front facing speakers and SD slot. What had me the most concerned is the display/battery ratio. I was shocked when I saw the Play version had 3620 then the Style only have 3000. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect only 3-4 hours SOT which just won't cut it, despite the turbo charge.

The OP2 is just a cool phone, period. Aesthetics aren't something that I put much thought into, but I really like the looks of it. I like the looks of both actually, and think it's nice that you can buy different back plates. My next phone will last 30-36 months minimum, so the USB-C is a plus. I also like the 3300 battery and 1080p combo, that was a smart decision on their part. OIS is a big advantage, abs that might be what puts the camera ahead. NFC isn't something I use, so that's a non factor.

Ultimately, I'll be reading real world reviews, and I'll be paying close attention to battery life. If the OP2 is significantly better, I'd lean towards that. I'll be deciding between these two phones, as well as the Nexus.

If I was forced to make a decision right now though, I'd choose the OP2. I'd be more than happy with either device, they're both huge upgrades over my Nexus 4, but that 5.7" 1440p display combined with the 3000 battery has me concerned. I have my S4 grandfathered into VZ unlimited, along with a 27% corporate discount. The Nexus 4 is on T-Mobile, and doesn't get the world's greatest signal indoors, so I'd like to use WiFi calling, or just have both devices on VZ. That would obviously disqualify the OP2 so we'll see.

Either way, even though I was disappointed the Pure didn't have a 3500+ battery, overall I'm happy with both phones. At $400 to start, some compromises need to be made, I was just hoping it wouldn't be the one thing I cherish most.

Posted via the Android Central App

It's kinda odd that they went with a smaller battery on the Style despite having a larger footprint.

3000mAh + 1440p isn't a great combo, but I'd say it's okay-ish. My G4 has the same combo and while it can last for a day, it doesn't last as long as a 1080p phone with the same battery would, with no noticeable loss of visual fidelity.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
--I don't know a lot about NFC. I am fairly sure you use it like with Google Wallet and Apple Pay, correct

--I read somewhere that a guy uses it to connect the phone with his Bluetooth speakers. Now when I pair mine, is that the "way" it does it, so without NFC on the OnePlus 2 I won't be able to pair my phone and speaker. Or was that guy saying that using NFC to pair is a different way.

--With RAPID CHARGING, I had it on the Nexus 6 and the Galaxy S6 and loved it. I kept those chargers and it works on my M9 and G4 just fine. When people say that the OnePlus won't have rapid charging, are they saying that the G4 for example, even though it didn't give a charger, that it had it. Or will the One Plus work with rapid charging if you already have another charger

--I have wanted a white phone, and I know this is subjective, but isn't the Moto a little old looking and especially with the white, has a lot more grilles, holes than the typical nice looking white phone, eg. Galaxy S6 & iPhone 6 ??

I can't decide. I thought I wanted, really wanted the OnePlus. It could be til Dec or after til I got my invite no matter how involved in the process I was, right

Thanks

Last edited: