Atrix vs. Iphone

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree, even my iphone 4 feels very sluggishat times jailbroken or not..but a jailbreak makes an iphone 100 times better then out of the box =) And yes I have come to realize that android is the way to go, hence im waiting for the atrix.

It's always a cat and mouse game with the jailbreaking though and to whomever mentioned the drama surrounding the (talented) kids that come up with the jailbreaks they were spot on. I believe it also boils down to approach. On Apple we're trying to open up something completely closed fighting uphill the whole way, on Android we usually just have a few things to fight against such as a locked bootloader which is just one piece of the overall puzzle.

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey since this thread is discussing the ifruit vs android, I'm going to ask this question here, rather than start a whole new thread.

I am operating under the impression that the Atrix will run flash in the web browswer. The spec list have stated "Flash 10.whatever". Am I correct in my assumption that that means on the phones browser as well, and not just on the webtop Firefox? Flash is starting to become a "need", more than just a want due to my line of work (online college courses); I hope this is correct...if so I am completely sold.

Atrix ships with FroYo so yes the OS allows Adobe Flash to work in the browser. :cool:

Reactions: john_v

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not to bash our sister site too much :'( but having AC in my Google reader feeds is so refreshing as opposed to CB...here I get actual news about android OS, as opposed to an occasion news article, (forever)rumored devices, and pictures of overweight has-been celebrities carrying blackberries. TiPb isn't too bad either, but most of their news articles have the "apple is master and steve is the chosen one" spin put into them...gets old after awhile.

Steps off soapbox :mad:

Ha ha...

Brutal...

uberspeed

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply...they moved this thread right after I posted so I wasn't sure if anyone would answer that :-\

Glad I could help. I don't visit the forums often but read this thread since the title piqued my interest. I'm currently still switching between BB9700 and iPhone with work issued BB9670 thrown in (used to be Storm2) and I'm just itching for Atrix to land already. Locked bootloader and all.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok, newbie question here...what does a locked bootloader mean? If I switch from BB to Android (in this case an Atrix when it becomes available), I will never be able to customize the ROM? Coming from BB, I like that I can install custom hybrid OSs and leaked OSs. Will I not be able to do any of this with the Atrix?

I was also looking at either iPhone or Android as a change to the stale hardware that RIM is pushing. I just feel like the choice is more difficult than just comparing the iPhone to a Wii and Android to a PS3. There is something to be said for an OS that is designed to run on only one device. Android 2.2 can run on phones and tablets and who knows what else. Does it become a "jack of all trades and master of none?"

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It means that you can't freely modify the system for example root, flash radio, rom. ATM IDK why even MOTO took stance saying if you want custom look elsewhere. Normally people who can't follow the instructions brick their phone lol and send it back under warranty and they have to jTag it and dump the image physically. I guess they are trying to limit the extra expenses by limiting the likely hood factors to rule out problems.

If I remember didn't court rule it was against the law for example for carriers to simlock people who fully pay the device price? Or most importantly not against the rule for iPhones to be jailbroken? But the bottom line is that you follow the rule of the manufacturer as they will void your warranty and not honor it. I personally don't care as someone always hacks it that's just matter of time thats all.

Sent from my HTC Glacier via UMTS

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok cool. I think I'm more interested in "side loading" apps rather than messing with the root or changing roms...at least for now. I'm sure that once I get bored with the stock setup, I'll want to mod it.

Thanks for explaining!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy