Note 5 vs Note 4 discussion

If they had been released at the same time, would you get a Note 4 or Note 5?

• Total voters

Rodney Willis

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Undecided... Note 5 or Note 4?

I have the iPhone 6 plus on Verizon edge program . If I pay off 75 ,% which is $ 225 I can get get the note 5 which I am leaning toward doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Well something got rid of any hint of lag. The damn thing is fast and lag free

Yea 5.1.1 is super optimized on the Note 5, this thing is fast. I think the memory management was an issue on prior lollipop builds. But I will say that 5.1.1 on the g4 is a disaster in the lag department so whatever Samsung did on the software and the extra gig of ram seemed to do the trick.

Posted via the Android Central App

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

If you want a phone that will last you at least 2 years It's the note 4. Batteries are starting to lose capacity after 1 year replacing it will cost you around 80 bucks. Thanks to a removable battery you can easily swap it out and buy a new one with the note 4. Personally I can go a week without ever needing a charger. Also if you are like me and like to have your pictures, movies and music available all the time a sd card will come in handy. Last but not least the snap Dragon processor means that the phone will have more custom Rom options and is easier to root.

Thanks to the note 5 the note 4 will soon stop in price and offer more. If you aren't sure try both out and see which one fits your need better. But as a student saving a few bucks and getting more out of your phone is also nice.

The Note 5 is a bigger s6 with more Ram (4 instead of 3 gig) otherwise it's the same specwise.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I tried all of those fixes. It worked to a degree, but I was never able to do away with the "recent apps" button lag. It drove me nuts.
It could be an app you downloaded or you need to clear your cache. I never had any lag since I had my Note 3 and Note 4.

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk

rsohne

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Root and Roms are not available for the Note 4 under AT&T or Verizon, so if this is a requirement do not grab those phones.

If you are buying used the Note 4 is a better option because of the removable battery.

If you are buying new from a carrier start with one and return in 14 days and trade for the other. You may also be able to save some money buying a Note 4 returned like new and save a bunch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

i had a note 4 and was so bummed to find out the note 5 would have the sealed battery and no sd card slot, but i love the note line and just couldn't help myself, i just had to upgrade and give it a whirl. given the lack of sd card i went ahead and got the 64gb version. so far (its been a whooping 2 days) the lack of sd card isn't a problem and i'm starting to think it really won't have an impact. i moved my music over and it only took up slightly over 1gb. pics will be the thing that will take up space, but i plan on moving the pics off the phone onto a flashdrive with an OTG cable when on vacation.

anyway, i love the spen and the ability to write on the screen when off is awesome, and the new air command menu is great. the camera rocks. the phone is super fast and snappy. the fingerprint scanner actually works without frustration. so for me the note 5 all the way!!

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Note 5 vs Note 4, and why I am going back to my Note 4.

The new Note 5 design is to die for and it runs smoother, but the tradeoffs are paramount to me.

As expected, the battery life is just about the same as my Note 4, except that I find myself close to a wall charger more often. I don't need to do that with my Note 4 with 2 spare batteries. The Note 4 freedom is invaluable.

I only have 27gb free left from the 64gb onboard storage with all my transfered apps, pic, and videos. My Note 4 has whopping 50gb left, combined with my 64gb sd card.

There are several missing key features like My Hot Keys and Multi Task Multi Window. I can't no longer read and respond to text messages and emails, surf, etc when say I am streaming a live video. The SPen functionality seems more cumbersome than the Note 4, and the unecesssry step to press and pull the SPen is annoying.

Overall though, it is a great device, and kudos to those who like it, but personally, the tradeoffs for me are not worth it, indeed a downgrade. I will keep using my new Note 5 for 2 weeks, but so far, I am not feeling it. Just being honest.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 5 vs Note 4, and why I am going back to my Note 4.

The new Note 5 design is to die for and it runs smoother, but the tradeoffs are paramount to me.

As expected, the battery life is just about the same as my Note 4, except that I find myself close to a wall charger more often. I don't need to do that with my Note 4 with 2 spare batteries. The Note 4 freedom is invaluable.

I only have 27gb free left from the 64gb onboard storage with all my transfered apps, pic, and videos. My Note 4 has whopping 50gb left, combined with my 64gb sd card.

There are several missing key features like My Hot Keys and Multi Task Multi Window. I can't no longer read and respond to text messages and emails, surf, etc when say I am streaming a live video. The SPen functionality seems more cumbersome than the Note 4, and the unecesssry step to press and pull the SPen is annoying.

Overall though, it is a great device, and kudos to those who like it, but personally, the tradeoffs for me are not worth it, indeed a downgrade. I will keep using my new Note 5 for 2 weeks, but so far, I am not feeling it. Just being honest.

Wait a minute. Did you say multi windows are gone? What about split screen? Is that still there

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Wait a minute. Did you say multi windows are gone? What about split screen? Is that still there
You can like karsdroid said, but you can't do the other extras like what I have described. See pics.

Attachments

• 1440088736628.jpg
    1440088736628.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 29
  • 1440088747501.jpg
    1440088747501.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 1440088762529.jpg
    1440088762529.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 32

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

And here's a pic of the Note 5 with a different way of accessing the feature. It only allows for split screens and floating windows.

Attachments

• 1440089122630.jpg
    1440089122630.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 33

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I have a note 4 and replaced it with a s6 edge. I like the speed of the s6e, the convenience of the quick-launch camera, and photo quality. However, there were times when I wished I could use the pen (for s-note). For me the note 5 fits better in the hand d and has the features of both note and s6e. This is why I ordered the note 5. If money, battery, sd card is not an issued go for the note 5.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

You can like karsdroid said, but you can't do the other extras like what I have described. See pics.

You can. As the comment noted it's just accessed differently. This is a YouTube video playing in the background (about the Note 5) with the Messages app in the foreground..

Attachments

• 3266.jpg
    3266.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 81

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

And here's a pic of the Note 5 with a different way of accessing the feature. It only allows for split screens and floating windows.

I'm not sure I understand. Are u saying u can't watch a YT video and respond to texts at the same time? I still have the 4, so please tell me what I lose with the 5 regarding muli window.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh...I see now. Got it. The windows are not side by side where u can still see both full screens. Thanks

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site

By comparison, the Note 4 feels much slower. I personally went for the Note 5. The removal of SD card and battery really hasn't hindered the device. There are just far too many pros upgrading to faster, more optimized tech. Not saying the Note 4 is a bad choice, I mean it will be cheap and affordable to everyone and possibly the best phone that offers SD and removable battery combo but the Note 5 in my opinions wins by far in everything else.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

You can. As the comment noted it's just accessed differently. This is a YouTube video playing in the background (about the Note 5) with the Messages app in the foreground..
Hmmm. Maybe I need to clarify. We can still read and reply emails, texts, etc in the split screen mode with compatible apps, but the new Note 5 no longer has the long pressed back button to access the vertical multi window/task list of compatible apps. The real difference is that I was able to read/reply to messages via floating windows, even with non-compatible apps on my Note 4 like Mobdro (a free video streaming app for live TV as shown in my pics).

ETA: Watching YouTube videos and other compatible apps, no problem. 😊

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz