Note 5 vs iPhone 6s

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note

The iPhone 6S Plus is simply last years iPhone 6 with (rumored to be) a smaller battery and taptic feedback and sure the A9 processor and finally 2GB of RAM. So really, if you compared a 64GB Note 5 to a 64GB 6S Plus the Note 5 has advantages on a technical level. If you are an Apple ecosystem user then the 6S Plus makes more sense.

For me I use both ecosystems, work, and personal so I tend to float back and forth. I just wanted a Note 5 128GB but I could be tempted to get a Note 5 64GB, maybe.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Note

The iPhone 6S Plus is simply last years iPhone 6 with (rumored to be) a smaller battery and taptic feedback and sure the A9 processor and finally 2GB of RAM. So really, if you compared a 64GB Note 5 to a 64GB 6S Plus the Note 5 has advantages on a technical level. If you are an Apple ecosystem user then the 6S Plus makes more sense.

For me I use both ecosystems, work, and personal so I tend to float back and forth. I just wanted a Note 5 128GB but I could be tempted to get a Note 5 64GB, maybe.
There is a technical advantage slanted in Androids favour pretty much always. Apple doesn't even announce the specs of their devices during launch events, we always end up finding out the amount of ram or the clock speed of the processor afterwards either by reviews or actual disassembly of the devices.

It's illogical at this point to compare specs between Android and iOS, the software differences between Android and iOS allow Apple to produce a great user experience using only a dual core processor and 1 gb of ram. These same specs on an Android device wouldn't offer remotely the same experience as the nature of Android requires more power and ram to offer the same experience.

The advantages of 4gb of ram aren't even fully utilized in the Note 5 as Samsung's software is not optimized to the point where they can make the most of it, they actively kill off apps as if they only have 2gb of ram.

Just imagine the potential performance the Note 5 is capable of if the software wasn't the bottleneck on the device.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

That's the problem I see with Apple. They make awesome devices that perform very well, but they are very feature poor, and they just shove new internals in the previous year's phones. The Note 5 is looking like the real super phone to me.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Who cared about touch ID until Apple did?

Samsung did, I'm tired of bring this up but always good to remind people that not only was Apple who copied Samsung, they stole the idea using dirty tactics, they bought AuthenTec to make them brake an agreement they previously had with Samsung to make TouchId for Android (Samsung) phones.

Just read and self instruct. Apple Buys Samsung’s Android Security Partner AuthenTec For $356M | TechCrunch

Last edited:

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Samsung did, I'm tired of bring this up but always good to remind people that not only was Apple who copied Samsung, they stole the idea using dirty tactics, they bought AuthenTec to make them brake an agreement they previously had with Samsung to make TouchId for Android (Samsung) phones.

Just read and self instruct. Apple Buys Samsung’s Android Security Partner AuthenTec For $356M | TechCrunch

I've had to point this out to several ppl in the past. Good pull.

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5 via the Android Central App

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Excellent find, i forgot all about this one.

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

let's keep the over generalizations and insults to a minimum shall we?

Get outside your peer group. Go up to a random Apple user and ask them how much RAM they have. Chances are they'll say 16GB/32GB/64GB.

In all fairness though, you'll likely get the same answer from most Android users.

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

No because I'm pretty certain the iPhone6 won't come with a stylus and have proper writing input options.

It's slightly ironic that Apple's real claim to fame on the OG iPhone was that it did away with the stylus, and now that's its downfall.

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Nope. Pretty sure no Stylus on the new iPhone. They have a good ecosystem and good products so my hats off to them. But they don't play well with others, and I'm done with vendor lock. At least my Microsoft and Google services play well everywhere. I cannot even get iCloud.com to load on Chrome for Android! No thank you.

Posted via the Android Central App

Of course, Samsung is the worst Android phone manufacturer when it comes to vendor lock... VR headsets anyone? Watches?

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

As an iPhone user, I'm not expecting anything amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious question: What was the last amazing thing that came out with an iPhone? The closest I can come to IMHO is the fingerprint sensor. They made a smart call buying the company that mode those.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Serious question: What was the last amazing thing that came out with an iPhone? The closest I can come to IMHO is the fingerprint sensor. They made a smart call buying the company that mode those.
Nothing comes to mind. They have made some features better than other phones, though. And that company was also basically already sold to Samsung when Apple back doored them...

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

True

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5 via the Android Central App

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)

Phones
Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5

Tablets
Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0, a few low budget tabs I care not to mention because they were terrible and not worthy of my memory.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm not waiting because I wouldn't buy a Samsung in the first place. Why buy the knockoff copy brand instead of the legit one when both are around the same price and put up with Samsung and carrier bloatware and longer updates, lower speed scores, less OS optimization, worse quality control and service?
When Apple does it, it's called revolutionary, but when others does it, it's called copycat. When Apple isn't the first, it's called refinement. 😅

SkyNet3

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: So there is 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like...

I've used both android and iOS over the years. Have a iPhone 6+ right now. Going to wait and see what the 6S+ brings to the table and then decide between that and the Note5/Egde+. If the 6S+ doesn't get 2GB of RAM I may switch back to android and the Note 5. There are several apps that I like to keep open but the data always has to reload on them on my 6+ due to memory (RAM) limitations..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's getting 4gig

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, your final statement seems to indicate your own bias against samsung.

Original thought? How about the first phablet, aka the original note? How about mutli-window mode? The spen? Smart stay? Pop out video player? Apple now has a phablet, mutli window mode in iOS 9 for the iPad, may have a stylus in the ipad pro....thus it appears Apple copies Samsung, as well as Android. Both Android and iOS copy each other. To make a blanket statement like that is a bit ridiculous. Though expensive, the galaxy line (s6, note, etc) has the highest caliber hardware on the market.

To address your original comment (How can you just compare Apple and Samsung, when Samsung is largely reliant on Android...such as in the case of 64 bit).

64 bit: iOS incorporated support for it first, but who cares? It didn't take advantage of it at the time. Samsung incorportated 64 bit once Android did, and the hardware was available.

NFC payments: Yes, no one carried about it before Apple, but Google did it first. No one can deny Apple's marketing prowess. Now everyone else will benefit from it.

Touch ID: Done on the atrix before Apple did it. Apple then licensed the most promising biometric technology, and incorporated it (Lenovo had similar technology in their laptop, until Apple licensed the tech, and lenovo reverted back to a swipe fingerprint reader). So yes, do to the above, Apple did it first. Why does that matter?

Android did notifications, widgets, app-to-app sharing, and more before, and arguably better than Apple. You can't say one thing and ignore the other side.

All the OSes and companies take ideas from each other...its something people need to get used to.

Actually no... Nokia did it first with the 6131 and they did it 5 years before Google could 😉

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/smartphone-development.html

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Actually no... Nokia did it first with the 6131 and they did it 5 years before Google could

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/smartphone-development.html

Posted from my AT&T 64 gig black Galaxy Note 5

Was it payment system, because that is what I said in my quote.

Nokia did it before the first android phone was even sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

That's the problem I see with Apple. They make awesome devices that perform very well, but they are very feature poor, and they just shove new internals in the previous year's phones. The Note 5 is looking like the real super phone to me.

That is how apple insures users buy the new phone each year, incremental and minimal changes and they eat it up. I often upgrade my Android devices many times a year since something new offers something different and Android is a rapidly changing landscape for the better.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

Get outside your peer group. Go up to a random Apple user and ask them how much RAM they have. Chances are they'll say 16GB/32GB/64GB.

In all fairness though, you'll likely get the same answer from most Android users.

Most Apple users don't know RAM vs ROM, CPU or screen resolution, they simply don't care. Its in the world of racing that those things matter, the race in the Android world where we do care if we have the latest and best processor, RAM for actually running many, many, many apps in the background without choking the phone or phone displays that are so brilliant and sharp in resolution and color you could cut yourself on them.

For me each device fits different needs, work and personal, work is iOS and not my choice but it is what it is. Personal has been Android and off an on iOS, Windows, etc, etc.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: So there are 0 people here waiting to see what the iPhone 6S Plus will be like before buying Not

Pick up an iPhone 5. That will show you what the new one will be

ATLChamp

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
iphone vs note 5

What are you guys thoughts around a note 5 vs iphone? What would be missing if I went to a note 5 from an iPhone or what would I be gaining

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay