I have a Galaxy S6+ and the new Moto X Pure.. Which one should I keep?

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Moto X and I am having a real hard time choosing which phone to keep. I bought a Galaxy S6+ fully expecting to return it when my Moto X arrived. As it turns out, it is not that simple. Below are the issues I am wrestling with:

Pros of S6+
1. Screen is just so much better in every scenario.
2. Camera is better so far.
3. Camera has more features I actually use
4. It is lighter and smaller which was a surprise
5. The fingerprint reader works great. I use it all the time
6. It is nicer looking phone (my opinion)
7. Wireless charging is something I love and I have charges everywhere I need.
8. Samsung pay works more like apple pay which is a good thing
9. Case options

Cons of S6+
1. Touchwiz.. only in the sense that it will slow updates. Other than that, I think Samsung did an amazing job on it this year. I have been a moto x user in the past.
2. Cost. I can get the new moto x and new 360 for less than the S6+

Pros of X
1. Love the price
2. Love the custom look
3. Feels nicer in the hand
4. Faster updates
5. SD card is only a minor plus

Cons of the X
1. Camera is not as good as my iPhone or the S6+
2. Screen
3. Limited cases
4. No fingerprint reader
5. No wireless charging

Anyone else having this struggle?? Thanks for any thoughtful input.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Fyi, you can disable the touchwiz launcher and other touchwiz packages with package disabler from the play store.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Fyi, you can disable the touchwiz launcher and other touchwiz packages with package disabler from the play store.

I have disabled the things I do not like in TW and use action launcher. I think TW does bring some nice features with it as well. I know I am not a true Android fan for saying it...

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

none of that actually disables touchwiz. the only way to disable touchwiz is to not have a Samsung phone. Touchwiz is more than a launcher, it's the phone's entire framework. Touchwiz is definitely a issue with how these phones run. My GS6 is a prime example of that.

OP, I haven't received my phone yet so I can't quite answer your question. But for me, getting rid of Samsung (thus touchwiz caused issues) and not having Verizon dictate my software updates is worth it alone to me. But, I haven't received the phone. So we'll see!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, have the Note 5 and Moto X is arriving today. Planning to keep only one, will probably compare them using the Moto X for couple weeks and then make a call if to keep it or sell the Note 5.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

GuyWith4Kids

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, have the Note 5 and Moto X is arriving today. Planning to keep only one, will probably compare them using the Moto X for couple weeks and then make a call if to keep it or sell the Note 5.

I have 10 days to return the S6+ so I am hoping to make my decision before then..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have 10 days to return the S6+ so I am hoping to make my decision before then..
Yeah keep in mind the price difference between the two phones as well, for me if the Moto X is buttery smooth then will probably keep it since for almost half the price I'm getting lot of value compared to Note 5/S6 edge +. Camera will definitely be not as good as the Samsung one but I'm fine if it's decent enough since I will probably use my DSLR or iPhone in situations or events where I plan to use camera. As long as it doesn't terribly disappoint I'm willing to keep Moto X given its price advantage.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Moto X and I am having a real hard time choosing which phone to keep. I bought a Galaxy S6+ fully expecting to return it when my Moto X arrived. As it turns out, it is not that simple. Below are the issues I am wrestling with:

Pros of S6+
1. Screen is just so much better in every scenario.
2. Camera is better so far.
3. Camera has more features I actually use
4. It is lighter and smaller which was a surprise
5. The fingerprint reader works great. I use it all the time
6. It is nicer looking phone (my opinion)
7. Wireless charging is something I love and I have charges everywhere I need.
8. Samsung pay works more like apple pay which is a good thing
9. Case options

Cons of S6+
1. Touchwiz.. only in the sense that it will slow updates. Other than that, I think Samsung did an amazing job on it this year. I have been a moto x user in the past.
2. Cost. I can get the new moto x and new 360 for less than the S6+

Pros of X
1. Love the price
2. Love the custom look
3. Feels nicer in the hand
4. Faster updates
5. SD card is only a minor plus

Cons of the X
1. Camera is not as good as my iPhone or the S6+
2. Screen
3. Limited cases
4. No fingerprint reader
5. No wireless charging

Anyone else having this struggle?? Thanks for any thoughtful input.

I was under the impression that the screen on the Moto was really good, don't you think so?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression that the screen on the Moto was really good, don't you think so?
Yeah but the ones on Samsung is pretty much unbeatable. It's no shame actually, pretty much all high end phone displays now a days are pretty great. There is not much to choose between them unless you want to get really picky between amoled or LCD.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but the ones on Samsung is pretty much unbeatable. It's no shame actually, pretty much all high end phone displays now a days are pretty great. There is not much to choose between them unless you want to get really picky between amoled or LCD.

This. The display on my GS6 has made other displays (G4, M9, etc) look like rubbish. I did put my GS6 screen on basic mode when I pre-ordered the Moto X just to get my eyes un-used to the great screen. Basic screen mode on the GS6 doesn't look very good so I'm hoping the Moto X looks great in comparison!

razortaz18

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a XPE and between then and now I was able to snag a Note 5 for pretty cheap. I have a feeling my X will be going back to Moto when I get it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
none of that actually disables touchwiz. the only way to disable touchwiz is to not have a Samsung phone. Touchwiz is more than a launcher, it's the phone's entire framework. Touchwiz is definitely a issue with how these phones run. My GS6 is a prime example of that.

OP, I haven't received my phone yet so I can't quite answer your question. But for me, getting rid of Samsung (thus touchwiz caused issues) and not having Verizon dictate my software updates is worth it alone to me. But, I haven't received the phone. So we'll see!
You can disable practically any element of touchwiz that you want. Of course, you can't remove the entire software on the phone... The phone wouldn't work...

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
You can disable practically any element of touchwiz that you want. Of course, you can't remove the entire software on the phone... The phone wouldn't work...

exactly. that's why your previous comment is a moot point. Because the underlying framework that is touchwiz is always running. I'm running nova launcher with virtually every samsung / VZW / bloat app disabled and my phone still crawls to a stop once a day with major lag and issues. A reboot fixes it but it's clear there is still some severe RAM management/ performance issues going on with this phone.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
exactly. that's why your previous comment is a moot point. Because the underlying framework that is touchwiz is always running. I'm running nova launcher with virtually every samsung / VZW / bloat app disabled and my phone still crawls to a stop once a day with major lag and issues. A reboot fixes it but it's clear there is still some severe RAM management/ performance issues going on with this phone.
No doubt. But every phone I have used requires a restart occasionally...even my old 6 plus or g4.

Granted the note 5 probably requires more frequent restart... I am just used to restarting frequently... When I wake, before I go to bed, get to work...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000