Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style vs. Nexus 6P

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is a terribly written something... it does not explain anything, except to say that something in Marshmallow is suppose to do this WITHOUT actually telling us how or where in Marshmallow we can do what Moto Assist did. I guess we shall all just wait and see.

Here is part of it that I think talks about Moto Assist (and the bold is their bold in the something):

"...then go to Do not disturb." That was a period after the go to Do not disturb... and do what?

And just one more reason why leaving Motorola will not be as too bad at all.

Is it a terribly written something?

I just read that as set Do Not Disturb.

Theseux

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I just received my Moto X Pure and I could not be happier. I ordered the regular one from Best Buy, because my phones are always in a case so I would not get to enjoy any of the customizations. I also really like the black back, and was able to use a coupon to knock 10% off the 32GB version ($405 for the phone) so win-win. I considered the Nexus models that were coming out, but ultimately I would rather have the SD card slot over the fingerprint scanner (although I'll admit that I don't care for them) and I didn't want to invest in new cables (I have 3 quickcharge 2.0 chargers - car, home, work - and replacing 3 cables would've added an extra $30 to the purchase). I know it's the future, and I'll get there eventually, but I only use the cable for charging and the extra two seconds that it takes to look as I'm inserting the cable have never bothered me.

On to the phone, I like the heft and the build quality. Just really like how it feels and operates. I had the original Moto X and always missed the way Moto does stock Android so it feels good to have this implementation. Battery is nowhere near as good as my previous Xperia Z3C, but what phone is and I can pretty much recharge it completely in about an hour. Highly recommend this device.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
With Motorola firing the team that invented the best features and the only reason to get Moto X, IMHO. 6P has latest Samsung Screen, everything better and then some. Motorola Assist, Connect and everything that was good about it is dead. Which just means Motorola is dead. Lenovo is nothing but bad news. Huawei is the next Motorola I guess.

Not to mention all the nightmare stories that are on reddit about people not getting their phones, taking forever to get them and no support. Support is in some third world country and it's a nightmare dealing with Motorola/Lenovo. Save yourself time and money in the long run and get a 6P. Just y .02 cents.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
What about burn in. I am hearing from others that have AMOLED screens that they have burn in. It bothers me when I look at a screen and see ghosting.

I've had issue with burn in in the past on my Galaxy S3, so severe that the apps that some people say repairs it did nothing. Talking to current Samsung users though, the newer panels (in the last few years) are much less susceptible to it. But I don't think that LCD is totally immune to it either. There were reports that the Moto 360 was getting burn in while charging, since the display stays on by default while in the charging dock and it has an LCD display. Even old CRT screens would get burn in. I used to see that a lot on security system monitors since they displayed the same image constantly.

I was dead set on the XPE, but the further we go, the less it seems like a good deal. Between them dropping most of the apps they introduced in favor of Google's implementation (still not sure if Google's version of Assist will work as well in the car), and the news today about who is and isn't getting Android M, it just seems like maybe the naysayers were right about Lenovo buying Motorola. I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt, I've picked up a Turbo and a 360 even after I heard about the Lenovo sale. But them saying they were going to support the Moto E in their sales literature and then less than a year later not updating them to the next version of Android. They got one update and that was it. That's pretty poor if you ask me.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had issue with burn in in the past on my Galaxy S3, so severe that the apps that some people say repairs it did nothing. Talking to current Samsung users though, the newer panels (in the last few years) are much less susceptible to it. But I don't think that LCD is totally immune to it either. There were reports that the Moto 360 was getting burn in while charging, since the display stays on by default while in the charging dock and it has an LCD display. Even old CRT screens would get burn in. I used to see that a lot on security system monitors since they displayed the same image constantly.

I was dead set on the XPE, but the further we go, the less it seems like a good deal. Between them dropping most of the apps they introduced in favor of Google's implementation (still not sure if Google's version of Assist will work as well in the car), and the news today about who is and isn't getting Android M, it just seems like maybe the naysayers were right about Lenovo buying Motorola. I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt, I've picked up a Turbo and a 360 even after I heard about the Lenovo sale. But them saying they were going to support the Moto E in their sales literature and then less than a year later not updating them to the next version of Android. They got one update and that was it. That's pretty poor if you ask me.

I agree with you. I sold my 360 and my Turbo. I wanted to give Motorola a chance but so many horror stories and them not working with people at all. Not to mention killing the best features that Motorola brought to the table. They are just another OEM with average phone at best. I'd rather get the Nexus over Moto X now whereas it was the opposite before.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Yeah I have heard that the new ones are not as bad. I do know LCD can burn in it just takes a lot more to do it.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. I sold my 360 and my Turbo. I wanted to give Motorola a chance but so many horror stories and them not working with people at all. Not to mention killing the best features that Motorola brought to the table. They are just another OEM with average phone at best. I'd rather get the Nexus over Moto X now whereas it was the opposite before.

I've still got my Turbo and 360, as well as my Droid Maxx which is my backup device (something you need when you live out in the boonies). Most likely I'll keep my Turbo as backup, give my Maxx to someone else on my plan, and keep my 360 since most of what I've seen this year in the smartwatch arena hasn't really wowed me (thought the Gear S2 came close, just don't know what I think of Tizen yet).

As far as Motorola, I am disappointed with how they're handling the Marshmallow update. Like I said I think most of the blame for the carrier 2014 X models is on the carriers, since the 2014 Pure is getting updates. But I can't see anyway where Motorola isn't to blame on the Moto E, especially after marketing the upgradability of it. I do also beleive that with them bypassing the carriers that the new XPE won't have that problem. Like I said I'm still waiting to see some reviews on the 6p before pulling the trigger on it. Their cell reception is a bit of an unknown (though I did see a test between a Huawei phone and a Galaxy S6 and a G4, and the Huawei beat them by quite a bit in that area, but that was probably on GSM. No clue yet if they'll be as good on CDMA). The 810 also gives me pause, so I want to see what reviewers have to say about it as well.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have heard that the new ones are not as bad. I do know LCD can burn in it just takes a lot more to do it.

It also helps to change your landscape orientation regularly. By that I mean if you normally have it in landscape with the charging port on the right, run it for awhile with the port on the left. If you use it primarily in portrait orientation, there isn't much you can do since it won't rotate with it upside down. But that's what I've done with my Motorola AMOLED devices (the Turbo and the Maxx). But they also use panels from the previous year (the Maxx uses a 2012 AMOLED panel and the Turbo I believe uses a 2013 AMOLED panel) where the 6p uses a 2015 panel. So that should help, I know the tech blogs made a big deal about it using a current gen AMOLED panel.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
It also helps to change your landscape orientation regularly. By that I mean if you normally have it in landscape with the charging port on the right, run it for awhile with the port on the left. If you use it primarily in portrait orientation, there isn't much you can do since it won't rotate with it upside down. But that's what I've done with my Motorola AMOLED devices (the Turbo and the Maxx). But they also use panels from the previous year (the Maxx uses a 2012 AMOLED panel and the Turbo I believe uses a 2013 AMOLED panel) where the 6p uses a 2015 panel. So that should help, I know the tech blogs made a big deal about it using a current gen AMOLED panel.

Yeah I'm sure it has gotten better. Still not sure about them though. Did you have issues with your devices?

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Officially returned the moto last night.

With the latest moto news I feel even more confident with my decision.

I'm sure everyone who gets either of these 2 phones will be happy but for me I have no reason to stick with the moto over the 6P.

noobsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I've still got my Turbo and 360, as well as my Droid Maxx which is my backup device (something you need when you live out in the boonies). Most likely I'll keep my Turbo as backup, give my Maxx to someone else on my plan, and keep my 360 since most of what I've seen this year in the smartwatch arena hasn't really wowed me (thought the Gear S2 came close, just don't know what I think of Tizen yet).

As far as Motorola, I am disappointed with how they're handling the Marshmallow update. Like I said I think most of the blame for the carrier 2014 X models is on the carriers, since the 2014 Pure is getting updates. But I can't see anyway where Motorola isn't to blame on the Moto E, especially after marketing the upgradability of it. I do also beleive that with them bypassing the carriers that the new XPE won't have that problem. Like I said I'm still waiting to see some reviews on the 6p before pulling the trigger on it. Their cell reception is a bit of an unknown (though I did see a test between a Huawei phone and a Galaxy S6 and a G4, and the Huawei beat them by quite a bit in that area, but that was probably on GSM. No clue yet if they'll be as good on CDMA). The 810 also gives me pause, so I want to see what reviewers have to say about it as well.

I picked up LG G Watch that came out with 360 and realized how much faster it is and how much longer it lasts. Part of it was me preparing for 360 v2 and XPE but after seeing the direction Motorola is headed, I'm done with them. Huawei watch looks real good though! LOL

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm going to wati for 6p reviews and see how it really behaves in real world before pulling the trigger. SD810 and all the hype around it and all the issues people have had with throttling and battery life, I'm going to take my time deciding since Note 5 has proven to be one of the best phones I've bought this year. I am not a big fan of TW either but it's that good overall. Weird.

Let's hope 6p is a great phone since we are all tired of compromising.

RoadTripHD

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't see much discussion (though I did skip a few pages) of the processor differences between these handsets. I personally don't care about the fingerprint scanner and I prefer the value added features of the Moto Suite but it seems like the difference in performance with an 810 vs. 808 on two devices running stock Android would be significant?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't see much discussion (though I did skip a few pages) of the processor differences between these handsets. I personally don't care about the fingerprint scanner and I prefer the value added features of the Moto Suite but it seems like the difference in performance with an 810 vs. 808 on two devices running stock Android would be significant?

Probably not too substantial, the MXPE seems to handle it fine.

With moto killing off some of the moto features and the 6P sensor hub picking them up the value add argument is not as straight forward as it was a year ago.

I'm also very excited for the fingerprint scanner, everyone seems to love it and I definitely think it will be convenient.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I don't think there is a huge difference between the 810 or 808

Snapdragon 810 vs Snapdragon 808: What's The Difference? | Know Your Mobile

https://www.androidpit.com/snapdragon-810-vs-808-is-8-cores-really-better-than-6

Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 MSM8994 vs 808 MSM8992 - System on a Chip Comparison