Moto X Pure Edition or S6 Edge +?

KofShamen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
This thread on Reddit has several people who switched from the GS6 to Moto XPE and seem to be happier with the latter.

I personally own a Galaxy Note 3 after having owned the Galaxy S3 before that. I recently ordered the Moto XPE and I don't think I'll ever but a Samsung phone again.
One of the reasons for that is that Samsung gets software wrong. They just add and change stuff in the name of adding and changing. They're too focused on their branding and "differentiation" and not concerned enough about user experience and usability. This also means very slow updates. My Note 3 (international version) is still on Android 4.4.2 while other, less powerful phones (e.g. an Xperia Z Ultra I also use) have gotten updates to Android 5.1 months ago.

On paper, the Galaxy S6 has a stronger processor and a better camera. I've read a lot of reviews on both phones (and others) before deciding on the Motorola. It seems that the differences diminish in most real life situations. Motorola's bare bones Android and software optimization seems to make their phones as quick as stronger phones in most conditions and the camera on the XPE has gotten great reviews except for low light conditions.
One area where the Samsung is clearly better is size and weight. The Moto is heavier than even the Note 3 and it's a large phone, so if you're coming from a smaller phone you need to take that into account.

So between the two, I would definitely go with the Moto XPE. You might also want to consider waiting for the Nexus 6P which seems to have taken care of a lot of the Moto's shortcomings.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This thread on Reddit has several people who switched from the GS6 to Moto XPE and seem to be happier with the latter.

I personally own a Galaxy Note 3 after having owned the Galaxy S3 before that. I recently ordered the Moto XPE and I don't think I'll ever but a Samsung phone again.
One of the reasons for that is that Samsung gets software wrong. They just add and change stuff in the name of adding and changing. They're too focused on their branding and "differentiation" and not concerned enough about user experience and usability. This also means very slow updates. My Note 3 (international version) is still on Android 4.4.2 while other, less powerful phones (e.g. an Xperia Z Ultra I also use) have gotten updates to Android 5.1 months ago.

On paper, the Galaxy S6 has a stronger processor and a better camera. I've read a lot of reviews on both phones (and others) before deciding on the Motorola. It seems that the differences diminish in most real life situations. Motorola's bare bones Android and software optimization seems to make their phones as quick as stronger phones in most conditions and the camera on the XPE has gotten great reviews except for low light conditions.
One area where the Samsung is clearly better is size and weight. The Moto is heavier than even the Note 3 and it's a large phone, so if you're coming from a smaller phone you need to take that into account.

So between the two, I would definitely go with the Moto XPE. You might also want to consider waiting for the Nexus 6P which seems to have taken care of a lot of the Moto's shortcomings.

@OP, while I agree with most of what he says I feel like I should add some things that weren't said here.

First is design. If you're a big fan of customization and you really wanna make your device as unique to yourself as possible, then sure go for the Moto X. Not only can you customize it but couple with the fact that it will be much less popular and there's almost no chance you'll run into someone rocking the exact same phone.

IF, however, you want premium design, get the Edge+. It's not even close. You won't find any brightly-colored plastic or leather here. Nothing but perfectly finished glass and metal. It's really a piece of jewelry more than anything. You wanna feel like you're getting your money's worth? Like you bought something truly special? Edge+. It's thinner, lighter, much more luxurious.

Second is the camera. While it's been said that the Moto X camera has gotten decent reviews. The Edge+ camera family (also found in the Note 5 / S6 / S6 edge) is THE best camera found in any phone right now, bar none. It launches ridiculously quick (especially with the double press of the home key), the shutter speed is lightning fast, photo quality is incredible in ALL lighting conditions. It's not the best in ALL scenarios, but comes out on top (or near the top) in every scenario, and more so than any other phone in the market.

I'll leave you with this in-depth camera comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1Bgfl6qvk

If you're after the pure Android experience then I doubt you'd even consider Samsung. But if you've tried TouchWiz before you pretty much know the deal. This iteration of TouchWiz is an evolution towards the correct path. It's more lightweight and much more responsive than previous versions but it's still not pure Android and that's okay.

With TouchWiz you get some pretty neat customization options this time around and the good stuff that's been kept from previous versions. I'm talking about real-world conveniences that you take for granted in everyday use until you realize how useful they are like Smart Stay, gesture controls, and voice controls for the camera / music player / etc. In the end TouchWiz won't appeal to Android purists but it's perfectly designed to optimize a device like the Edge+.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
After trying the Turbo last year and hating the Moto Slim Down experiance, Edge + for me. The Turbo had to have a launcher installed. It was just too basic for me.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I've never seen a review that says the Moto camera takes as good of pictures as the edge plus. Every review I've seen says there is no camera better than the edge plus and note 5. Most reviewers mention that the Moto is average looking at best, compared to the gorgeous look of the edge plus. As for the one person's comment that people who are switching from the edge to the Moto prefer the Moto more, I'm pretty sure that if you get a group who switched from the Moto to the edge, they would likewise prefer the edge plus more.

Posted via the Android Central App

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to the XPE from an LG G3. Obviously, right out of the box I felt the heft and largeness that is the XPE. It is a lot heavier, and bigger in every aspect from the G3. I have considering the Edge+ as well. I'm not a big user in need of pure Android. I've been spoiled by LG's UI that allows me to move the on screen button patter that fits my right-handed usage. Couldn't do that with the XPE. I just couldn't reach across the device with my thumb with any ease either. Picture quality was ok, but not great. There are a lot of folks criticizing the screen choice on the XPE, but it was ok for me. I don't think most people view their phones at such angles. But, the auto brightness feature is a bit different than other phones and it didn't always adapt well to my lighting situation.

Overall, the XPE was a good experience, but ultimately I returned the device because It was just a bit too big for me. It's a shame that manufacturers are looking at 5.7" screens as the go-to size. The G3 is perfect for me at 5.5"

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Neither...Nexus 6P. Owned the MXPE and it was cool, but the battery sucked. Own the Galaxy S6 Edge+ and I suffer from touchscreen/keyboard issues. I constantly mispell words and the keyboard just skips and skips and skips. I use both stock and google keyboards. The S6 Edge+ doesn't have root, so no ad block or build prop edits to tehther. I did prefer the speakers on the XPE to the S6 Edge + as well

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Neither...Nexus 6P. Owned the MXPE and it was cool, but the battery sucked. Own the Galaxy S6 Edge+ and I suffer from touchscreen/keyboard issues. I constantly mispell words and the keyboard just skips and skips and skips. I use both stock and google keyboards. The S6 Edge+ doesn't have root, so no ad block or build prop edits to tehther. I did prefer the speakers on the XPE to the S6 Edge + as well

The Nexus 6 P? Oh yes, the phone that isn't out yet always trumps those that are. Lol

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 6 P? Oh yes, the phone that isn't out yet always trumps those that are. Lol

HAHAHA...just looking for something stock and unlocked, w/ a better battery. Galaxy S6 Edge+ would be flawless if I could unlock it and I didn't have the keyboard quirks.

Bonovox72

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I've had the LG G4, Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Plus,Motorola X Play and as far as cameras go the LG G4 beats all hands down in low light. As for daylight they are all as sharp as each other (the Moto X having same camera as the Style) my current phone S6 Edge Plus has a great camera in daylight but despite the Pro mode it's absolutely terrible in low light. Samsung still hasn't perfected lowlight photography and that's where the G4 excells. As for phone overall the S6 Edge Plus is defiantly the best for performance it is super fast and fluid the best I've ever seen in a Samsung device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae