Discussion on the appeal of iOS vs Android

Swaggy P

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am new here. So sorry if I sound redundant. there are many sub forums on here and I got a little lost so it may sound scattered... Anyway I have been going around asking people what phone they have. The reason is because I am going to upgrade my phone. I think that Samsung Galaxy looks pretty neat. But there is something about that famous Apple logo on the back of an iphone 6s. And some pretty innovative commercials. So, I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I want the phone that is the most fashionable and helps accessorize my style.

Typically when I ask iphone users what made them choose iphone they just say that they love iphones and that's it. Always had, always will be an iphone user. Like my friend, he looks at his iphone 6 as more of a gadget. And that's partially why I'm considering jumping on the wagon and upgrading like him. Because I get the hype. We are clinging onto our gadgets now more than ever. It's almost like they are a limb, we are so dependant on them. They are a companion. I used to hate phones. But now, I just want to start living in the 21 century if you will. I want to start branding myself, creating my own style, getting more involved in social media, and just start having more fun. Instead of shunning social media, I want to beat addicts at their own game and just have fun. Like people look stupid with all their selfies. I want to make a mockery out of them and look interesting.

Now for Samsung users, why do a lot despise iphones so much? Iphone users just don't even care, they just use it and that's it.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
This Android user does not hate iPhones, nor Windows Phones. I use and enjoy all three systems.

Swaggy P

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You can never impress or please others with your phone?

You know I have friends that always gang up on someone who comes over if they don't have an iphone. they kinda gang up on you and tell you to get with the crew. But they don't do it to tech savvy people, they do it to people that don't know anything about phones. Conversely these same friends I have also copied me. They don't like video games before, but after they saw I got a PS4, they started buying all kinds of consoles. But they are die hard apple fans and even wear apple shirts. They don't work for apple, but there answer is always that they just live iphones just because it's what you're supposed to do. And they will admit that they don't know why, but the most convincing answer they could give me was that it's a gadget. So even when I had an iphone 4 and they had a 6, they sure looked at me like I was crazy. then I got the 5s handed down to me and they still asked me why I don't get the latest and greatest.

Sure enough they have another friend that saw my 5s and he asked me why I have an iphone. He said that he hates apple with a passion and calls it an inferior phone. You guys won't believe me, but each 3 times I have met him, he's always brought up his passion for his android. I think he even used the words live and breathe android. Now I have even another friends who once talked about my phone to my other friend and I overheard him saying I have a dumb iphone. He brought that up because we were having trouble getting somewhere with the GPS.

Additionally, I have seen one guy in public (we were all waiting for black friday) with a phone the size of a tablet that he got from China. People were laughing at him. But then again I knew a girl who had a Note 4 and she said that average sized phones are inferior and she needs the biggest and best and said iphones weren't even readable and broke all the time.

So, I never really cared about phones to be quite frank. But now I have this huge obsession. I want the best phone or at least the phone that nobody would dare to criticize. It will absolutely **** off my closest friends though. Let me tell you something. My other close friend has a non smart FLIP PHONE. I told my close friends about him and you would not believe, they burst out in tears and were laughing for 5 minutes on the floor when I told them about his flip phone and how he doesn't know what Instagram or Siri is.

I am sorry for sounding like a ******, but this is kind of a sensitive topic for me. Now more than ever, everyone is judging one another by their phones. At least where I live. My friends work in Silicon Valley in the computer industry.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: You can never impress or please others with your phone?

Was there a question in there, or are you just venting?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

Sounds like you and your "friends" need to get lives. It's a cell phone. The reality is that the people who are trying to convince you that their phone is better are insecure about what phone they purchased and are trying to justify it to themselves.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like you and your "friends" need to get lives. It's a cell phone. The reality is that the people who are trying to convince you that their phone is better are insecure about what phone they purchased and are trying to justify it to themselves.

Exactly so.

Swaggy P

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

But to be fair, that's not all true in my opinion. Nowadays phones are more famous than ever. You are expected to keep up. And they aren't exactly phones anymore. They are smart devices.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Phones have become a status symbol, yes. But I am not sure how many people really care. I'll admit, I look at other people's phones and try to ID them (kind of a fun game I play), but it's not like I ridicule them in public for it. Like anything else you buy, you should buy what you want for your own reasons. Just the other day, I was in AT&T asking about the Priv, and one of the reps asked 'Who would want the Blackberry?' and I looked at her and said, 'Me.'

But, back on topic...I say get what you want. If your friends don't like it...so what?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site

But to be fair, that's not all true in my opinion. Nowadays phones are more famous than ever. You are expected to keep up. And they aren't exactly phones anymore. They are smart devices.

The key word there is "device".
In both my group of friends and my group of coworkers, anyone thinking of their phone as a fashion statement will be laughed at.
We also giggle at the folks who think of their phones as status symbols while acknowledging that there are a large number of folks that think of their phone that way.
To us, the smart phone is a tool to help you organize your life. Pick the one that works best for you, upgrade it when it no longer does what you need it to do. If my friends want to help pay for my phone then they get some influence on what phone I get and when I get it. :)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Exactly, there are about of people who rarely use it as a phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Swaggy P

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

The key word there is "device".
In both my group of friends and my group of coworkers, anyone thinking of their phone as a fashion statement will be laughed at.
We also giggle at the folks who think of their phones as status symbols while acknowledging that there are a large number of folks that think of their phone that way.
To us, the smart phone is a tool to help you organize your life. Pick the one that works best for you, upgrade it when it no longer does what you need it to do. If my friends want to help pay for my phone then they get some influence on what phone I get and when I get it. :)

The smartphone is a status symbol. I was even at my friends house today. I told my friend that the galaxy s6 edge has a pretty neat design, with a curved screen. He said, ''Doesn't matter, it's not an IPHONE....'' I asked him what he meant by that. And he said that what he said pretty much sums it up. It's a status symbol. No matter how many functions you try to show him that other phones can do, he doesn't want to hear it. It has to be an iphone or it doesn't count in his eyes. And there's no reason for his reasoning.

What I don't get is this. Some people that were really into PC's instead of Macintosh still prefer an iphone because it's an iphone. What I don't get is they didn't care about Apple back then, but now they will back up Apple to death, just because of the iphone. So obviously, the iphone did something right, right?

My other friend was there and he has an LG. He said that he couldn't afford an iphone, but he said that iphone is the best phone in the world, far better than any android. I asked him if he was sure and he said that it's a fact. Does the iphone get special treatment from its reputation? Something about that makes people feel proud about. There MUST be something about it other than just the marketing. People love having iphones. I don't think people are all that stupid. They wouldn't just buy it with blind faith, like it's their religion. Or would they?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Expected to "keep up" by whom exactly?

Swaggy P

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What would Android have to do to have the same hype as iphone?

Before I said that iphone users didn't care about Android users and that Android users hated iphone users. Well it seems to me that people love iphones religiously. And they don't know anything about Androids. They just want the iphone and that's it. But a lot of Android users either don't like those type of people or they don't like the iphone. Or it could be a combination of both.

My point is, what would Android based phone companies like LG or Samsung have to do in order to convince the mass that Iphone isn't cool and that their phone is the new ''cool'' thing?

When did Apple become cool anyways? I seem to remember PC's being the way to go. But then all of a sudden Apple comes out with a phone and people line up overnight to get it.

My question is what made Apple so good at marketing phones? And how close is Samsung to getting all the celebrities to just get a Galaxy? When will the average person just associate a phone synanamous with a company like Samsung?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome