Atrix 4g vs Samsung S 2 - any thoughts?

punchbaggies#AC

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I like to have a HDMI out port on my phone. Therefore Atrix wins.

HDMI via Micro-USB:

http://armdevices.net/2011/02/13/samsung-galaxy-s2-tab2-details-infos-release-dates/

Samsung Galaxy S2 has a MHL (Multimedia High-definition Link) connector, which basically allows the Micro-USB to do much more than just be a Micro-USB connector, it can for example output 1080p with a Micro-USB to HDMI cable, it can do USB host stuff such as USB keyboards.

Your argument is now invalid,

problem Bob Brown?

TheAspec

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Atrix 4g vs Samsung S 2 - any thoughts?
I like the overall design factor of Samsung phones, never owned one though, have had several Moto's back in day... the biggest thing that keeps me away from Samsung is that everyone writes they don't support the device once it's released (i.e. No software updates) so you're left with WYSIWYG until a new model comes out. I'm not willing to make a $200 gamble that Samsung will get serious about updates until I see it happen.

urbannaja

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty much the question. People are scared that samsung won't support it.

I always wondered why, when you are paying a substantial contract fee, you aren't guarenteed updates for the life of the contract. If they could make the case that my fees aren't enough to guarentee the updates, I would probably *still* pay a little more for the peace of mind that I'll have updated software. It seems as if the fact that the manufacturers and the providers aren't paying much for the development of Android, it would be reasonable to expect timely updates to the OS.

I guess it comes down to the numbers: do they make more money by forcing device upgrades (sans all the discounts), or from keeping customers longer through satisfaction and the user experience. The rapid released of Android versions has probably made it easy to make more money and justify ignoring updates and focus on forcing hardware upgrades. Hopefully in the near future, Google will lengthen its release cycle and promote a focus on software support.

I think I'll stick with the Atrix for now. The hardware is similar enough, that I can take it over the new galaxy based on MOTO's reputation, the earlier release date, and how it looks (personal taste).

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Samsung makes great hardware, but don't count on any timely software support/updates. Learned that lesson from my Epic. Everyone always wants the next Sammy phone to be different, but I guarantee we'll be having this same discussion as to why 2.4 or whatever isn't on the S2.

Moto has shown, at least on Verizon with their high-end phones, to get updates more timely. Moto also makes better hardware, better phone voice quality.

btgrave

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
HDMI via Micro-USB:

Samsung Galaxy S2, Tab2 details, infos, release dates – ARMdevices.net

Samsung Galaxy S2 has a MHL (Multimedia High-definition Link) connector, which basically allows the Micro-USB to do much more than just be a Micro-USB connector, it can for example output 1080p with a Micro-USB to HDMI cable, it can do USB host stuff such as USB keyboards.

Your argument is now invalid,

problem Bob Brown?

Why yes, punchbaggies.

1. What if I want to charge my phone while using the hdmi out at the same time? (and if you're going to claim that the TV can charge my phone, I rebut your claim with the fact that no TV out there right now has installed this MHL capability.)
2. Why should I have to buy a new micro-usb to hdmi cable?

Your move.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirGeorgeKillian

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
There's been a lot of speculation about this phone. I know, I know, Motoblur and it being on ATT. Think about this though. This phone is the next step in the direction cell phone companies need to think about. This phone provides that stepping stone where they may replace laptops or tablets...maybe not but it starts with this phone and what it shows as far as what a cell phone is capable of. I'm very excited to see what others companies bring to the table and beyond that...

corneliusm

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Several news sources have revealed that it the GSM bands on the Galaxy S2 support AT&T 3G. No one knows when it'll be.

Btw, depending on where you live, the Galaxy S2 will have either the Samsung Orion or Tegra2 dual-core SoC. The reason for some Tegra2 usage is because Samsung cannot produce enough Orion chips to make the S2 as widely available. Keep in mind that Samsung sold over 10m Galaxy S phones worldwide, so that seems reasonable.

punchbaggies#AC

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Bob Brown

1. The device won't be able to charge (speculated) but there will be no significant power drainage while using the hdmi function
2. Who says samsung doesn't provide one with the phone?

bring it son

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non