I returned my v10 for a note 5 because of battery life

Scribble1531AZ

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
So I have never been a fan boy of any brand when it comes to phones. Regardless of brand or OS I get the phone that appeals to me most.

I started out getting the iPhone 6s plus which I ended up selling after a couple weeks. Mostly just didn't wow me like last year's.

So I head down to tmobile and pick up a v10. I was like most upset with Samsung for ditching the SD card. I didn't care about remove able battery but was upset they didn't go with a larger one. So decided on the v10.

That being said, the v10 is a nice phone. Neat features. Better cell signal then my iPhone when at home. Great camera. But.... the battery life. Wow is it bad. I use all my phones the same and when I see people on forums talking about how great the battery on the v10 was I can only assume they don't use there phone much.

I waited until day 4 to start monitoring the battery life so I knew everything was done downloading and being set up.
Day 4 I got 2 hours and 43 minutes screen on time when I was notified of low battery.
Day 5 was even worse at 2 hours and 22 minutes.
These are terrible numbers.
My normal usage consists of playing music driving to the gym. Then headphones at the gym. Then from around 8am until 5pm little to no usage. Except replying to a couple texts and emails. Maybe take a picture or 2. Then at home I may play some light games. Jump on clash and collect my stuff, some pet rescue saga. Stuff like that.
So I elected to return it. The second display was useful to me but I found that to be the only special thing about the phone I enjoyed.

Now I received my note 5 in gold on tmobile this morning. I charged it up to 100 before doing anything other then setting up. I then downloaded all my apps, synced social networks and email. Played games while waiting and a total of just under 3 hours screen on time at 47 percent while downloading over cellular!!
For one big reason being battery the note 5 wins hands down. The v10 isn't a bad phone by any means but it clearly needs about a 6000 mah battery to match the note lol.
Now just hoping the note 6 runs 3500 or bigger with more optimization and even more efficient processor and we may actually have a true power user phone lasting more then a day!!

Also I'd like to add, and this is strictly opinion based so could vary but the note 5 feels far better in the hand and is noticeably lighter.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Returned my v10 for a note 5. here's why!

When you are one of the few who aren't getting good battery life, it would be safe to assume you likely have a defective battery in the phone and you should return it and get it replaced. No two phones can set up exactly the same and another real possibility is a feature or app using power that wasn't a problem on your other phones.

So to me, everything else you wrote beyond that kind of lost credibility in your reasoning for going to the Note 5. You say it as if it is fact that the V10 has a terrible battery, when could have just been defective. Which is most likely why you posted over in the Note 5 forum, where you can get a lot of praise for your decision. If you just said that you tried the V10 and just didn't care for it, that would be different.

You have to be reasonable if you are going to slam a product and give it a chance for success. It is alright if you don't like something and the Note 5 is certainly a great phone.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

GSMarena tested V10 battery performance to be 3/4 of Note 3. It would not be a stretch to think V10 can have a SOT of 3-5 hrs. There will be many people on the 3hr end, and many on 5 hr end.

In short, I don't think OP has a defective battery.

Scribble1531AZ

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

Ya the battery was getting right around what reviews say. Just didn't think when I got it that in real world usage how poor that would reflect. Even when I called tmobile to order the note they put transfered me to tech support where the guy told me there's actually a lot of complaints about the battery on that phone and that they recommend shutting of the 2nd screen to help which pretty much removes a major reason for buying that phone.
I posted here because I'm now a note 5 owner and as one this would be the logical place to post.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

I just got my note 5 yesterday. I flipped my v10 for one reason only. Battery life. It is garbage! At its worst it drained 18% in 20 minutes of use. Absolutely pathetic

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

I loved literally every other single aspect of the v10

Scribble1531AZ

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

Basically same reasoning for me. My only complaint on the note is I constantly feel like I need to wipe it down because of all the finger prints lol. I'm not big on using cases.
But it is very confusing how people on the v10 forum are claiming they get such great battery because no one I've talked to agrees with that at all. I had...
Location on battery saving
Auto brightness off and kept it way down around 20%
WI fi and Bluetooth off
Volte off (tried both ways didn't seem to make a difference)
2nd screen off while screen off.
Pretty much did every thing I read to extend battery and it was still terrible. Felt like I traveled back to the first gen iPhone again.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

The Note 5 is a powerhouse that will get through a full day already. I get great battery life.

YoungSheeps

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

The Note 5 did beat out all other flagship phones (including the 6P and the V10) for battery performance (and won phone of the year to go with it) on Android Authority.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

I feel like my 6p was better on battery but note 5 is close 2nd

Moto0685

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

The Note 5 did beat out all other flagship phones (including the 6P and the V10) for battery performance (and won phone of the year to go with it) on Android Authority.

I would beg to differ the droid turbo 2 has a better battery

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae