Nexus 6P vs LG G4 (IMHO) Spoiler: LG G4 wins

norbl

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit that I became fixated on the fragmentation issue about Android phones in general and decided to get a Nexus 6P, 128GB. This is why I prefer the G4.

Since I use Nova Launcher, there is no difference in the day-to-day operation between Android 6 + Android 5.1

The speed between the two were the same even though the G4 only has the 808 processor.

To my eye the cameras were equal to each other.

Otherwise:

Nexus 6P:

PROS:

* Fingerprint scanner

CONS:

* No way to close all recent apps at one time
* No way to take a picture with a voice command
* No built-in way to show battery percentage in the notification bar
* No native voice recorder

LG G4

PROS:

* I like the shape of the LG g4 better than the shape of 6p
* I like the buttons on the back of the 6p much better than the side buttons once you get used to that it's hard to go back
* Better value. I bought it when it first came out and got the spare battery and spare battery charger free. Even adding a 128GB micro usb card to give me a total of 160GB, the G4 was still a better value.
* Slightly better battery life

CONS:

* This bug has been in the LG G4 since the beginning. When you have a pattern, PIN or password set under Device > Lock Screen and set to not lock for 30 minutes, when you open the phone up within that time, you still have to swipe to open the phone. This is the only Android phone that makes you swipe to unlock under this circumstance.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Thanks for your opinions. I actually have a G4 and love it. I can't compare it to the 6p since I have never seen or used one. I'm sure they are both fantastic phones.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
* No way to take a picture with a voice command - "Ok google" take a picture
* No built-in way to show battery percentage in the notification bar - settings-->system UI tuner--> Show embedded battery percent
* No native voice recorder. open Keep-->click the mic icon to speak away. it even syncs your voice and a translation of it

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
To your cons on the Nexus.

1. There are apps you can get for this.

2. It won't take a photo you're right, but you can use the command to open the app.

3. Hold down the settings wheel in the notification bar for 3 seconds and it will activate UI tuning mode. Go into settings at the bottom and you'll see System UI Tuner. There, you can enable battery percentage.

4. App download for this.

You have to keep in mind, Nexus is ridiculously customizable to where you can have the features you want provided the hardware supports it.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I keep all my apps open anyways on my Nexus 6p. No point closing apps. Use more power and battery closing everything out and reloading. Just let Android handle the Ram. Works more efficiently

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I keep all my apps open anyways on my Nexus 6p. No point closing apps. Use more power and battery closing everything out and reloading. Just let Android handle the Ram. Works more efficiently

From what I understand you're right. I think we can sometimes get too involved in micro-managing our phones instead of trusting them to work as efficiently as possible by themselves.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The G4 is a great phone. I have owned two LG phones, but will probably not own another due to:

1.) Sub par radios.

2.) Really don't care for their software.

3.) I am on 6.0.1 already.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have used both as well and I would have to disagree on your points. It sounds like for your needs the G4 suites you better but I still think the 6P is a way better phone. The battery life on this thing destroys the G4 I had (I had the international model as well so no carrier bloat messing with that stats). As for the better value I don't see it that way as I don't need hundreds of GB on my phone since I have unlimited data :).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have had the G4. Don't have the 6p, but the 5x. If I were to compare those two, it would be the 5x hands down. My G4 had some occasional lag when switching apps. A restart would usually fix it, but around August, I was doing a reboot every couple of days. I would have the rare launcher redraw (I was using Nova).

My battery life is about the same between the G4 and the 5x. Both phones I had to charge once a day, yes. But the Nexus has more battery at the end of the day than my G4. The difference is Doze. So that is truly an unfair comparison.

I can see how people like the buttons on the back. But for me, taking a screenshot with the G4 was frustrating at best. I usually turned the volume down while trying to take the screenshot.

Personally, I was glad to leave the G4. It's not a bad phone; it is really a very good one. Just not a phone for me.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I stopped closing all my apps. There's no need with this. Just waste time to close them. I only close apps when its not responding but that's it.

System UI tuner shows percentage. Pull down the notification bar then hold the setting icon and the UI tuner shows up.

Apps for everything else.

Nexus 6P

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I stopped closing all my apps. There's no need with this. Just waste time to close them. I only close apps when its not responding but that's it.

System UI tuner shows percentage. Pull down the notification bar then hold the setting icon and the UI tuner shows up.

Apps for everything else.

Nexus 6P
Exactly. Process management used to suck in the older versions of Android so much that apps running in the background can consume so much battery and performance and resources that I had to always remember killing all processes if I know I'm not going to use my phone for a while. No the case anymore in Marshmallow. With the 6P I feel I can fully trust Android to manage itself. Well done Google.

ydooby

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Close, but no cigar. I was actually surprised after watching this video that the G4 boots and uploads games faster, but the 6p wins the overall battle.
The 6P doesn't do as well in benchmark testings only because it forces filesystem encryption so there will always be some sacrifice in performance in order to encrypt and decrypt data all the time.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I own both. The 6p is better in pretty much every category. Performance wise, don't be fooled by a guy on YouTube... The forced encryption shows things a tad (I'm unencrypted BTW) but any advantage the G4 had in certain I/O ops get swallowed whole nearly everywhere else (and evaporates if you turn off encryption). Any UI related, the G4 is slower and more sluggish. Moving between windows, transitions, animations, etc., the 6P is noticeably faster. The G4 has frame drops, stutters. The G4 isn't bad, and left to its own devices, one wouldn't really notice. But if you go back and forth between the two phones, is obvious.

One thing that amazed me was that the 6P's radios are awesome. It's been the only phone I've owned that managed to hold a signal my entire commute home (I drive through a wildlife refuge that was dead zone before T-Mobile rolled out band 12). It's better than my 6, which was itself, better than the G4.

The G4 also lags far far behind in terms of battery life. The G4 is about 3 to 4 hours a charge... My 6P is 2 1/2 hours past that. And it charges faster too.

One incomplete is the camera... I haven't had enough time with the 6P to tell you how it compares, but the 6P shooter is really, really good.

So I'm glad you like your G4... Enjoy it. The best phone is the one you like, that applies to everyone whether they have a 6P, Note 5, Moto G, iPhone, etc.. But the 6P is a step beyond the G4, it really is. All those sites singing it's praises aren't making it up. It's an incredible phone. You don't have to knock the Nexus to justify you keeping the G4... It's a great phone in its own right.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I loved that you had to swipe to unlock on the g4 when you turn it in with a delayed lock screen.

On the 6p you can display the battery percentage using system tuner

Battery life sucks on the g4

Posted via the Android Central App

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The phones are probably similar enough in function for you that it may come down to the fact that you like the shape of the G4 and having all the buttons on the back better than the 6P. The rest of your other cons have pretty much been eliminated by the comments in this thread.

You do have to go all in with the Nexus "philosophy" though and understand that it is pure Android and purposefully doesn't include all those manufacturer "features" (some would call bloatware) like native voice-activated camera. You have to add apps to create the phone you want.

There are always going to be a few manufacturer features that are unique to a phone. For example, LG's tap to unlock and Samsung Pay. If you can't live without them, the Nexus line isn't for you.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
The 6p is the best Android phone of the year hands-down. The Note 5 would come closer to the 6p than the G4 but even then, the 6P still beats it in every way that matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress