HTC 10 going back, I'm going to iOS

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :)

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
the thing is that is going to be all android phones for the most part they are different ecosystems. as dfor the speakers I think they are way better then the iPhone and screen angles don't me anything to me at lest I dotn look at my screen in less straight on.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :)

I respect your opinion and because it's your opinion then nobody is right or wrong, but man, everything was fine with me until I read this:

"Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period."

There are opinions and there are facts, but the FACT has always been that Android keyboards are years ahead of anything iOS tries, if you are talking about the HTC keyboard alone, well, that's acceptable, not everybody likes every single keyboard out there, that's why Android is simply GREAT, if you have a native app that you don't like you just download a third party app that does the same and you like more and you take care of the issue, and there are TONS of Keyboard alternatives on the Play Store and most if not all of them are great, can you say the same about iOS? Well It seems that you think so, but for the rest of the 99% of us that have used or still use both Android and iOS, there's an abysmal difference in favor of Android.

To each his own...

About the Notifications, only thing I can say is that there are apps for that.

You can answer calls, messages and everything in general with Android too, maybe not with HTC 10, but definitely with the Samsung Galaxy line, as you just install Samsung SydeSync on your PC and Mac and will do what you actually do with your iPhone and a couple of things more.

Anyways, as you can see, besides your opinions and preferences, almost every single aspect you mentioned here is also possible on Android, maybe not with Native Apps but very possible, sometimes the third party apps are even better just like it happens with the Keyboard apps, but it's obvious that you are and will always prefer they way iOS works over how Android works, nothing wrong with that, just go back and enjoy your iPhone.

sunrat39

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The screen issue is overblown. How often are you going to be looking at your screen at a crazy angle to where you replicate the pink tinting?

Gmail app is fine for me but for some not up to par. That's fine but there are a million different types of email programs. If you tried them all and they don't work then OK then.

Android keyboard not as good. Well, I have to disagree. I love Google's keyboard.

Notification to you seems like you prefer a sneak peek of your notification. I think just holding down the home button and getting to your main screen (which is insanely fast) is workable. Unless you get email after email everyday, I don't see the big issue. I'm still surprised apple has not implemented a LED light. I know they can use the camera flash but to differentiate your notifications would be great.

Speaker. Full out disagree with you here. HTC 10 speaker and headphone jack is better than iphones. Iphones may be just as loud but its quality is not the same as the 10's. I love listening to music now especially when I workout because of the HTC 10.

If you use a mac then that's a huge incentive to have an iPhone. I don't know how far air droid goes to mirror the effects of the Mac/iPhone combo, but there is something.

Of course, these are my opinions but I feel the HTC 10 is a great device and covers quite a bit of what people look for in a cell phone.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
To add.

I have been in the Android eco system since '08, never left. Having said that I have tried every keyboard out there and for me the iPhone keyboard just seems to know what my fat thumbs are trying to type.

The screen for me is an issue because I spend 50+ hours a week at the office. My phone sits on the desk. Half the time I am looking at the screen at an angle while the phone lays on the desk. So viewing angles are a consideration for me.

For those who said I can text and receive calls on my Mac with an Android please provide more info on how I can do that or is it just for Samsung?

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree this should be a "Oh holy iPhone how many ways do I love thee...."

Several things here are configuration settings so how much time was really spent working with the phone? Screen and keyboard not withstanding.

clownstrike

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
When I read the keyboard comment, I wondered why this person ever bothered to try. My wife is a non-techie, and long time iPhone devotee. There are only two things she's ever coveted of my android phones: bigger screens and better keyboards. Apple makes great products, but was way too slow with bigger screen availability. Solved now. Even my wife can't stand that she STILL has to switch to a different keyboard panel to get numbers....

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
To add.

I have been in the Android eco system since '08, never left. Having said that I have tried every keyboard out there and for me the iPhone keyboard just seems to know what my fat thumbs are trying to type.

The screen for me is an issue because I spend 50+ hours a week at the office. My phone sits on the desk. Half the time I am looking at the screen at an angle while the phone lays on the desk. So viewing angles are a consideration for me.

For those who said I can text and receive calls on my Mac with an Android please provide more info on how I can do that or is it just for Samsung?

The Keyboard and screen is a matter of opinion, I can't tell you mine right now in relation to the HTC 10 because I'm still waiting for T-Mobile to carry it and I can see it and try it on the store to see if it will replace my Galaxy S7 with the Jump On Demand program (I'll keep my Galaxy S7 edge), once I have one I can tell you for sure what I think about HTC latest offering. BUT, as of now, in my daily drivers (Galaxy S7 and S7 edge) Keyboard and Screens are WAY better than anything I can find on any iPhone as of today, I just hope HTC 10 have some comparables.

About the way to use your Mac to get your phone calls and notifications, this is just one of the best ones available for that, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en&token=Sx41C68y , again, in case you are still considering an Android phone that does everything that you mentioned in the OP and you just gave up on the HTC 10, definitely, the Galaxy lines, specially latest flagships, can do what you are looking for and for people that have made the switch from iPhones to S7 ( I've seen a lot of them), it has been a great switch and a great experience so far.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree this should be a "Oh holy iPhone how many ways do I love thee...."

Several things here are configuration settings so how much time was really spent working with the phone? Screen and keyboard not withstanding.

That's like saying I should spend hours trying out different jet configurations on a carburetor instead of simply turning the key with fuel injection.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
When I read the keyboard comment, I wondered why this person ever bothered to try. My wife is a non-techie, and long time iPhone devotee. There are only two things she's ever coveted of my android phones: bigger screens and better keyboards. Apple makes great products, but was way too slow with bigger screen availability. Solved now. Even my wife can't stand that she STILL has to switch to a different keyboard panel to get numbers....

I agree Android keyboards offer more options and choices but, when I want to rattle off a few emails iPhone keyboard simply gets it done with very little corrections needed. In 8 years I have not found an Android keyboard that works for me that way for some reason.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The Keyboard and screen is a matter of opinion, I can't tell you mine right now in relation to the HTC 10 because I'm still waiting for T-Mobile to carry it and I can see it and try it on the store to see if it will replace my Galaxy S7 with the Jump On Demand program (I'll keep my Galaxy S7 edge), once I have one I can tell you for sure what I think about HTC latest offering. BUT, as of now, in my daily drivers (Galaxy S7 and S7 edge) Keyboard and Screens are WAY better than anything I can find on any iPhone as of today, I just hope HTC 10 have some comparables.

About the way to use your Mac to get your phone calls and notifications, this is just one of the best ones available for that, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en&token=u8oOccnb , again, in case you are still considering an Android phone that does everything that you mentioned in the OP and you just gave up on the HTC 10, definitely, the Galaxy lines, specially latest flagships, can do what you are looking for and for people that have made the switch from iPhones to S7 ( I've seen a lot of them), it has been a great switch and a great experience so far.

Ya I want to try the Note 6 when it comes out. I may look at the S7 sooner though.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's like saying I should spend hours trying out different jet configurations on a carburetor instead of simply turning the key with fuel injection.

lol. It's more like a few minutes and much less complicated than all that - and the analogy misses that it's a matter of messing with settings on one phone that has one set of compromises vs messing with settings on another phone that has a whole different set of compromises.

The "fixing" part is some really simple stuff. But if you're not ok with HTC's implementation - there's nothing wrong with that! You already said you wanted a Note 6; wait a couple months and get that instead.

But much more importantly than missing the mark on analogies and stating opinions as a matter of fact - is that there's no point to posting any of this unless you want help solving the problems that you're perceiving. If you don't want help with that, then I'm going to fall back to my old statement, "want what you like, buy what you want, love what you bought". If your solution is to switch devices, get to it! If you are looking for help improving your experience, then ask for help. Mixing those two things up as if somehow our community, or even the company you bought your phone from would be threatened by your dissatisfaction and run to another product is counterproductive as it creates confusion about what exactly it is that you want. Do you want to keep the HTC 10 and have people help you get it working the way that you want things to work? Or do you want to buy something else that does things a different way? Everyone here is going to be totally fine with either decision.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree Android keyboards offer more options and choices but, when I want to rattle off a few emails iPhone keyboard simply gets it done with very little corrections needed. In 8 years I have not found an Android keyboard that works for me that way for some reason.

If you're a tapper, Flesky is hands down the winner on auto correction and typing accuracy. If you use gesture typing, the only one that rocks in that category is Google's keyboard, which you can get from the Play Store for free on almost every Android device. My info is outdated, because I haven't used iOS in any meaningful way for quite a while, but what I remember was that iOS keyboard was pretty good at getting typos corrected in a single word but it wasn't very good at telling the difference between multiple words - and gesture typing didn't exist in that iteration (not sure if they have it now).

clownstrike

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok, fair enough. I thought you were trolling, but thanks for your reasoned response and apologies for my snarky one!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Everyone should use the product they like, because it's their money.

Having said that, based on your criteria of decent viewing angles/email management/on-screen keyboard/tight integration with a PC, you really should have bought a BlackBerry Z30. They would appreciate your business, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech