08-21-2016 06:42 AM
199 ... 678
tools
    I used to think that the iPhone had the better keyboard but having a row dedicated to numbers is amazing, I will never use a keyboard if it doesnt have that feature.
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    05-19-2016 11:28 PM
    Oh I wish I could find the issue. I do use a Google apps for business account, not sure if that makes any difference.
    Is that the only Google account? I also have a Google business account alongside my personal Google account. My Gmail there also forwards to my main personal Gmail account. I'm sure you would've thought of that if that was the case, but I get two notifications every time I get a business email due to the forwarding.
    05-20-2016 12:12 AM
    There are some well behaved apps like you mention. I just think the OS should be in charge, not the apps. Not all are well behaved.

It is most annoying when it happens in the car. Because the caller can definitely hear my music/audiobook/news radio coming through the car's speakers over BT.
    You mean like how on my iPhone when I get a text (or any notification with sound) and I'm on a call, I can hear the sound through the earpiece and so can the person on the other end? Or how on my iPhone, the alarm volume is strictly tied to the call volume and if I don't change my call volume before bed, my alarm wakes up the whole house?

There are issues with every phone and OS. It's just a matter of perspective.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-20-2016 09:45 AM
    Interesting. I have always found the iOS keyboard better (for me) than any I have used on Android, but specifically in terms of accuracy, and "knowing" what I want to type. Most Android keyboard are filled with many useful functions, and I usually use a swype type keyboard, and 3rd party keyboard are complete nightmare on iOS, but the basic act of actually keying in what you want to type seems to be more accurate and responsive than on Android, for some reason. SO I think i know what the OP is trying to get at.
    SugarMouth likes this.
    05-20-2016 10:16 AM
    the 5x is not in the top 5.. My moto x 2014 is better than it. My htc a9 is better.. as well
    05-20-2016 12:06 PM
    the 5x is not in the top 5.. My moto x 2014 is better than it. My htc a9 is better.. as well
    The 2014 Moto X is better than the Nexus 5X? At what? It's literally equal to or worse at everything except for build materials (if you prefer a metal or plastic frame) - though both are mostly made of plastic. The Nexus 5X has a better screen (better color accuracy, better viewing angles, etc), better software, better speakers, better camera, a larger battery, better battery life, is more secure, will be secure and have better software for far longer, a much better processor, better modem/radio technology, better charging solution, better usb connector, better bluetooth support, has a notification LED for those who want it, has an industry leading fingerprint scanner and has support for more bands, etc (almost truly carrier agnostic). They're tied on screen size, quantity of RAM, storage options. I had the Moto X 2014 for a long time, but it's definitely not better than the Nexus 5X.

I apologize I can't figure out what you're replying to. The only post that mentioned the 5X in this entire thread was by me, and it was commenting on the screen quality. In that post I said, "The S7 & S7 Edge has the best screen in the industry, for the time being. Second best is the Nexus 5X, then S6 Edge then Nexus 6P then iPhone 6s Plus. That's the top 5 in order. I don't know where the HTC 10 ranks in there because I haven't seen it's measurements".

So if you're arguing against that, and you think the X 2014 has a better screen than the Nexus 5X, that is simply factually incorrect. The Nexus 5X was briefly the industry leader, passing the Note 5 until the Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge came out with something even better. The Moto X 2014 had a relatively bad screen for the time and compared to 2015 and 2016 phones, it's absolutely horrible. Now you can say that you prefer the X 2014 over everything else, but we'd all need to understand that you subjectively prefer something that is objectively inferior.
    tnt4, mellonxcollie and libra89 like this.
    05-20-2016 12:44 PM
    Ok let's do it! I'll tell you the complaints and you resolve them.

Gmail app does not use desktop signature: (Your solution goes here)

Keyboard does not work as well for me, I have tried years worth of Android options: (Solution?)

Notifications do not wake screen and give me a few lines of info to determine if worth picking up the phone or not: (Solution) Let me guess some third party work around?

Speaker is better than the 6S but not a jaw dropper. Compliment to HTC to resolution needed.

Native call, text integration with my Mac: (third party work around?)

Been using Android nonstop since the G1 8 years ago. Buy roughly 3-5 Android phones annually. Please be specific what it is I don't know how to set up? I choose to use iOS as my daily driver but don't let that fool you!
    If you buying 3-5 phones a year, sounds to me like you just be tweaking. lol Why would anyone in their right mind waste so much time, money and effort on a phone?

Seems to me like where you started will always catch back up to you. You started with a iPhone 4. This is what you were originally taught to like. A lot of us Android users were Windows Mobile users before the switch, so we're fine with third party apps and customization to make the device fit our needs.

No disrespect, but sounds like you value simplicity over functionality and you're willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money to get exactly what you want. Telling your opinions as they are facts seems self absorbed. I sell phones and you fit the mold of a dedicated Apple user.
    05-20-2016 03:23 PM
    The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :-)
    With ur gmail app what are u emailing urself? is google drive not an option?

Swiftkey is one of the best keyboards available. predictive keyboard. i barely type on my phone now as it pulls up the next word i need over 40% of the time.

i use android wear for all most all notifications a galce at my watch and i see exactly what the notification is and can respond accordingly
    SugarMouth likes this.
    05-20-2016 10:18 PM
    I have used both extensively. While I grew to love iOS and how the software compliments the hardware perfectly. I will gladly take downloading a few extra apps on a device.

The freedom of Android is why it will always be better. If I'm going to shell out almost a grand for a phone I want to use it how I want to not how the manufacturer wants me to. I own the phone it should be mine to do what I want with.

For the HTC 10 itself. I have it ordered and can't freaking wait. I was considering cancelling my order and picking up the lg g5. After a hands on at the Verizon store, I am sold on the initial impression and over all look of the device and software. Not all cartoony and in your face bright. Simple and dialed back yet packs one hell of a punch.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    05-20-2016 11:14 PM
    The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :-)
    This can happen. I used whole my life Nokia and then all Android phones and I have used a lot of Android phones like about 40 in last five years and last year I bought iPhone 6s then 6s plus. For most part I loved iPhone. Performance is awesome and feels more reliable battery on plus is great but it's very annoying to charge them they charge so slow. Notification center is so bad on iOS and so is dialer app. Else all is great about iOS yesterday I got my HTC 10 so first thing u noticed how slow is it during setup process so stutter lag this did happen with Htc one m8 or others vibration motor is weird on 10 phone is always hot that cuz it's 47C temp here. Camera is worst I have used in last 6 months. Can not focus at night it get worse but it have hard time doing focus in day time as well. I am now actually coming from Nexus 6p. BTW speakers on Htc 10 hmmm I didn't like it. I am looking not eager to try Htc hi res to see if audio is really great not sure when those will be available in US.
    05-21-2016 04:16 AM
    I agree Android keyboards offer more options and choices but, when I want to rattle off a few emails iPhone keyboard simply gets it done with very little corrections needed. In 8 years I have not found an Android keyboard that works for me that way for some reason.
    You're use to the IPhone keyboard, Whenever I switch to the iPhone, my typing slows done a bit for me to adjust, and if I use it long enough, I'll need some time to adjust if I switch back to Android. The beauty of Android, is the Google keyboard's ability for you to just slide your fingers to the letters and it types the words instead if you have to type each letter.
    05-21-2016 06:53 AM
    Why would anyone in their right mind waste so much time, money and effort on a phone?
    Some people buy shoes, I buy phones. It's very simple really.
    jiden77 and libra89 like this.
    05-21-2016 09:29 AM
    The freedom of Android is why it will always be better.
    I agree! Just the other day I needed to download a few PDFs from an email and re-attach them to another outgoing email. This is easily done on Android and a pain in the butt on iOS. I love having an actual file system on Android.
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    05-21-2016 09:32 AM
    In response to why I try different phones: - A love of technology is what drives me.
    SugarMouth and libra89 like this.
    05-21-2016 09:50 AM
    just busting your chains bro =P
    I will consider them busted
    chezm likes this.
    05-21-2016 07:12 PM
    In response to why I try different phones: - A love of technology is what drives me.
    Agreed.
    It's also fun and can be frustrating, even though people might look at you like you have three heads. At this point, I can't make promises that I will not try another phone next month.
    jiden77 likes this.
    05-21-2016 07:39 PM
    Agreed.
    It's also fun and can be frustrating, even though people might look at you like you have three heads. At this point, I can't make promises that I will not try another phone next month.
    The struggle is real. As much as I get frustrated with Android at times and get bored with iPhone (not hard to do in the past 4 generations), I like technology. I am probably going to see what the Note 6 is like and then have one of each. Maybe....
    libra89 and MikeLip like this.
    05-22-2016 09:53 AM
    The struggle is real. As much as I get frustrated with Android at times and get bored with iPhone (not hard to do in the past 4 generations), I like technology. I am probably going to see what the Note 6 is like and then have one of each. Maybe....
    Exactly! I like how reliable the iPhone is and how easy it is to not use Apple services, but as you said, it feels boring sometimes. Thinking back on myself, I have lost track of how many I have tried this year. Maybe I have tried 5, but to be fair, I have kept 1 of the 5.
    05-22-2016 12:20 PM
    Word up on all fronts. I am exactly the same, as I love Android, yet get frustrated...but usually because most of my family and friends are so ingrained in the Apple ecosystem that I feel I'm out of touch without iMessage and FaceTime.
    I still can't wait to see the new Moto X (or is it Z) line on June 6, as well as what Samsung offers with the Note 6. Maybe then I'll have the courage to jump the Apple ship! :-/
    libra89 likes this.
    05-22-2016 12:28 PM
    Same here. although I'm feeling a but retro and planning a trip back to the Blackberry Bold for a while.
    05-25-2016 05:40 PM
    Word up on all fronts. I am exactly the same, as I love Android, yet get frustrated...but usually because most of my family and friends are so ingrained in the Apple ecosystem that I feel I'm out of touch without iMessage and FaceTime.
    I still can't wait to see the new Moto X (or is it Z) line on June 6, as well as what Samsung offers with the Note 6. Maybe then I'll have the courage to jump the Apple ship! :-/
    iOS is a fantastic system. But so is Android. I get the feeling that MS is throwing in the towel on WP, which is very sad, as is the clear intent of Rim to drop OS10. At the moment I want someone to introduce something NEW. I feel like I did when the PC started going mainstream and became just another appliance. Yeah, you can buy one that's all pretty and shiny or one that's cheap and kinda manky looking. But in the end they all do the same thing as each other. And Apple is an Apple. Android is Android. Boring, guys. Do something cool again. Not marketing cool - genuinely cool.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-25-2016 05:44 PM
    awww that's a shame!
    I jumped the Andriod ship for about a year and got myself an IPhone 5s
    I liked it a lot and the things you have pointed out are sort of true (I cant definitely agree ive never had an HTC)
    but after awhile I just got fed up with how restricted IOS is I missed the freedom and the chaos of Andriod
    Andriod has in my opinion have really stepped up
    I'm now the proud owner of a Samsung s6 edge and would take it over IPhone any day
    libra89 likes this.
    05-28-2016 03:30 PM
    I haven't seen the HTC 10 screen yet, but I can say that the iPhones have really great displays. The Mac integration is also great if you are into that.
    Personally I do not want my Mac and all iOS devices to ring when I receive a call. It drives me crazy all the time. This was one of the features I disabled first when I was still on an iPhone. SMS integration is nice though, but as others already mentioned, it can be done with 3rd party apps on Android too.
    The iPhone keyboard is the worst keyboard I have ever used in my life. iOS does a pretty terrible job with 3rd party keyboards too. I love the Google keyboard and I don't think I could use anything else apart maybe from Swiftkey.

Posted via the Android Central App
    The newest iPhones have lower pixel density than my 3 year old BlackBerry Z10. The HTC 10 is just a bit less than the Samsung Galaxy's. Far higher density

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-16-2016 05:43 PM
    I used to be on Android with the HTC incredible but switched to iOS. True there's some flexibility I gave up but iOS just works smooth for what I use my phone for. And most people I know have iPhones which makes communicating easier. I also use a BB for work and just don't care for it.
    08-21-2016 06:42 AM
199 ... 678