HTC 10 going back, I'm going to iOS

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
You never saw the S7 edge, have you? Drop it in a sink full of dishes and it'll be fine. Drop your iPhone in a sink full of dishes and what'll happen?

The dishes will magically clean themselves with iwash and rose gold soap and come out smelling like the morning dew. You can use an ipad for those stubborn stains.

Slow Joe

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Google just released Gboard, a keyboard for iPhones, which is fantastic. For whatever reason, they haven't released one for Android.

I've tried all kinds of keyboards for Android--Swiftkey is still my favorite and what is on my GS6 right now--but I've always felt the iOS native keyboard was superior, simply because it guessed intended words more accurately. I'm still faster on my beat up old iPhone 5 than on my GS6. I'm still test driving Gboard.

So I think his opinion is valid. And that your opinion is just that: another opinion. Certainly not "fact".

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
No one size fits all and that's about it. Go with what you are comfortable with. Clearly Android is not for you and iOS is. Go back, get the iPhone and be happy.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Not really. It's just impure silicon. It's fun to talk to people is all. The subject here is phones, so I'll talk phones. If I knew anything about football, i'd be on a football board. It's all the same to me. The tech is interesting. But the interactions are more so.

just busting your chains bro =P

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Since there's a lot of talk here about syncing texts, etc., between computers and phones, has anybody tried Yappy? (android) It keeps coming on my radar and I'm curious about it... haven't had a chance to try it yet, though, to see how it compares to MightyText, Pushbullet, etc.

airkot

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I have Nexus 6P and I'm not happy with it. I'll give android last shot with Note 6, but after that I'm gonna get an iPhone and stick to iOS. At least the nexus was cheap.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
And personally, the camera, keyboard and screen on my Note 5 are miles better than those same things on my iPhone 6. But buy whaatever makes you happy.

Agree! I have been using a Note 5 for a couple days and the keyboard is fantastic, the camera great and the screen blows away the iPhone 6s or any other screen I have seen. I still have the Gmail issue. The battery is worse than the 6S but it charges stupid fast.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :)

Well maybe since you're in love with the Note 3 or Note Line as you put it, you should check in to the Note 5.

I don't use the GMail all that much so I won't speak on that.

Notifications........Umm??? Samsung has Air Gestures that allow you to move your hand over the screen to awake the phone to see any Notifications (Text, EMails, Social Media notifications, Weather etc etc). It's all in the settings if you know where to look. And depending on how you set that up, you can also reply to those Notifications. Just saying, but as others have stated......That's the Beauty of Android, there are a few Manufacturers to choose from.

Keyboards........Meh!! Your opinion again but with as many apps that you can install, why not try a few to decide (not sure if or how many you have already tried) but something is definitely there to be satisfactory.

Screen.........Wrong!! Maybe you haven't seen all the reports from testing companies but Samsung is the LEADER hands down in that department. Nuff said!!

Speaker........Questionable. It's hard to believe that HTC's speaker setup isn't enough for you. Not real familiar with HTC products but I think they're really known for Audio quality.

All I can say is don't be so quick to jump ship and become one of the masses but there again....... To Each Their Own.

#ANDROIDANYDAY

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
lost me at "Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period."
. . .not interested in specious opinion.

jiden77

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
The HTC is going back. I started with Android in '08 with the G1 and right about the time of the iPhone 4 left Android as my daily driver. I have always had an Android as a backup and love my old Note 3. Having said that I wanted to give the latest and greatest offering a try but was left unimpressed.

The HTC 10 is a great phone over all! Build quality is excellent and it feels great in the hand. Battery life is very good and standby is excellent! Finger print sensor is excellent. If Android is your choice, this is a winner. Why is it going back?

Screen. It really is not that great. Viewing angles remind me of phones of the past which means not great. The screen looks white when looking directly on but dims and turns pink when looking at an angle. I compared to my iPhone 6s and Note 3 and the HTC 10 has the worst viewing angles.

Gmail app. Google still can't make the Gmail app as good as it is on iPhone. Two things stand out. One is when I email myself I always get duplicate emails when on Android. This is on any Android using Gmail app. Two, there is no setting to use desktop signature on Android Gmail app yet iPhone Gmail app allows for it.

Android keyboards. They are just not as good as iPhones...period.

Notifications. Not as great. I leave my phone on my desk face up. If I get a notification with my iPhone I look over and see what it is and get a short description or part of the email lit up on the screen. HTC 10? A beep and a blinking light, not good (I checked the settings and it was set to notify while locked but never got that to happen). This requires a double tap to wake the screen and the information is still more limited.

Speaker. Its good but not great. There is such a small improvement over the 6S speaker its not worth bringing up as a strong point IMO. I turned on the same song on Spotify and went back and forth from phone to phone and aside from the HTC having slightly more clarity there really is nothing to get excited over. They both still sound like little cell phone speakers.

I use a Mac. Having the ability to answer phone calls, reply to text and syc notes directly with my Mac is valuable and can not be done with Android.

So I won't let the door hit me on the way out but I'll be back with one of the first to buy a Note 6 as I have always loved the Note line of phones. :)

I, too, tried the HTC 10. You and I seem to have very similar thoughts and history with Android/iOS. I started with the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, which I believe was the 2nd Android phone out there. I loved that thing...I moved to the iPhone 3GS and never looked back until the Note 3 line came out.

My wife and I stuck with the Note 3 for nearly a year and returned to iOS just before the iPhone 6 Plus hit the market.

I am actually really fond of Android, I use nearly all of Google's services. I currently use an iPhone 6s Plus but have tried (and returned) sever Android flagships. The iPhone keeps calling me back....almost to a fault. I cannot seem to break away from things like FaceTime, iMessage, etc. I'm literally upset with myself that I cannot break away, given how much I love Google, Android and their services. It's like I keep waiting for the next flagships to be launched (Moto Z line, Note 6) so I can give them a try...

realvvk

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Ummmmm..... All my music apps and youtube pauses during phone calls and texts. Don't know why yours isn't.

There are some well behaved apps like you mention. I just think the OS should be in charge, not the apps. Not all are well behaved.

It is most annoying when it happens in the car. Because the caller can definitely hear my music/audiobook/news radio coming through the car's speakers over BT.

KBx315x

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
I used to think that the iPhone had the better keyboard but having a row dedicated to numbers is amazing, I will never use a keyboard if it doesnt have that feature.

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Oh I wish I could find the issue. I do use a Google apps for business account, not sure if that makes any difference.

Is that the only Google account? I also have a Google business account alongside my personal Google account. My Gmail there also forwards to my main personal Gmail account. I'm sure you would've thought of that if that was the case, but I get two notifications every time I get a business email due to the forwarding.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
There are some well behaved apps like you mention. I just think the OS should be in charge, not the apps. Not all are well behaved.

It is most annoying when it happens in the car. Because the caller can definitely hear my music/audiobook/news radio coming through the car's speakers over BT.

You mean like how on my iPhone when I get a text (or any notification with sound) and I'm on a call, I can hear the sound through the earpiece and so can the person on the other end? Or how on my iPhone, the alarm volume is strictly tied to the call volume and if I don't change my call volume before bed, my alarm wakes up the whole house?

There are issues with every phone and OS. It's just a matter of perspective.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. I have always found the iOS keyboard better (for me) than any I have used on Android, but specifically in terms of accuracy, and "knowing" what I want to type. Most Android keyboard are filled with many useful functions, and I usually use a swype type keyboard, and 3rd party keyboard are complete nightmare on iOS, but the basic act of actually keying in what you want to type seems to be more accurate and responsive than on Android, for some reason. SO I think i know what the OP is trying to get at.