HTC 10 vs OnePlus 3

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 vs OP3, is it still worth the price tag?

The OnePlus 3 made me curious when it was announced but after reading the Anandtech review, I wouldn't get it. The review goes into detail on how the 1080p screen would have been fine if it was not a pentile amoled screen. Because of that, the true resolution is closer to having a 4.7" iphone stretched to 5.5". Anandtech goes as far to say that if screen is important to you that you shouldn't get the OnePlus 3. Just my opinion.

If a new HTC 10 seems like a high price, go to swappa. People are selling them for a lot less.

OP is going to push an sRGB update option to overcome the screen issues noted by AnandTech. My main worry is software updates and support if something happens to the device under warranty. My OPO experience wasn't that great when I reached out to them for a warranty related question.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 vs OP3, is it still worth the price tag?

OP is going to push an sRGB update option to overcome the screen issues noted by AnandTech. My main worry is software updates and support if something happens to the device under warranty. My OPO experience wasn't that great when I reached out to them for a warranty related question.

I talked to a more knowledgeable friend that I yesterday about that info. Basically this is good because then at least they're aiming at the right target for color, but unless they actually calibrate the screen, that mode may not help. It's basically a crapshoot as to whether or not this change would be helpful. And the color mode can't change the bad decision behind using a pentile screen that large with such a low resolution.

robsw

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I just received my OnePlus so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. However, the screen looks fine to me, though not nearly best in class. I understand that with VR it would be subpar. My guess is that the regular user will not find it problematic even before the impending update. I already like it better than my HTC 10, which I returned within a couple days.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I sold my htc 10 due to poor antennas as I said in another thread. Over all though the 10 was perfect for me. I think you would enjoy it and I do think it is worth the price tag. I do have a OP3 on the way so I will see soon how it compares. Hopefully it works out.

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
If the 10 was priced at $550 or lower you could make a compelling argument that it was the hands down winner. But at $700 you really have to love some feature of it to justify that price tag.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If the 10 was priced at $550 or lower you could make a compelling argument that it was the hands down winner. But at $700 you really have to love some feature of it to justify that price tag.

Like the much better audio system, much better screen, adoptable storage, working on more (or all) major carriers, better recent track record on updates or the tied for best in class camera of the HTC 10?

Thomas Guide

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Like the much better audio system, much better screen, adoptable storage, working on more (or all) major carriers, better recent track record on updates or the tied for best in class camera of the HTC 10?

Is that worth an extra $300? Maybe the audio is better but is that such a huge selling point? I would chalk that up to preference. Working on all carriers maybe, but who knows why it's not on Sprint or Verizon maybe that added cost of that extra cdma radio or some licensing issue? The camera has never been one of HTC's best points. Neither has the updates, It's been spotty at best

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is that worth an extra $300

That's up to the buyer :p but there's no confusion that the HTC 10 is just a better device, it's just a question of whether or not it's better enough to command the higher price tag. I think it is, but I rank the HTC 10 as a top 5 device and the OP3 as a top 15 device.

Also, that extra $300 is largely invisible to many HTC customers as they're buying the phones on payment plans with $0 down and $20-30 per month through carriers while the OP3 buyers are paying $300 up front for it. So if budget is the number one concern, many people will opt for the payment plan rather than the up front cost and perceive it as the better value, even though they pay more for it over time.

Eclectech

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Ever since I received the update for the camera on my HTC 10, I seriously doubt the OnePlus is better. Further, I've heard conflicting reports on the battery life. PhoneArena rated it as disappointing. Other marks against the OnePlus include non-expandable storage, software update concerns, audio quality and lack of bands for CDMA carriers

Eclectech

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you received a bad HTC 10. Prior to my HTC 10 purchase, I owned a Galaxy S6. My HTC 10 can hold a signal in areas that phone could not.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I know someone who sold his HTC 10 and got the OnePlus 3.

Not because he didn't like the 10. He just does this often with his phones because he likes to get his hands on what's the latest and greatest. Before the HTC 10, he had a GS7.

He seems to be impressed with it so far, but if you want my take, it depends on the price.

If you can justify the $300 premium of the HTC 10 over the OP3, then that would be the better option if you can afford it and can see yourself using its extras and improvements for the premium. However, if you think the premium isn't worth it, then the OP3 is actually pretty compelling for the price. Sure, you have to settle for a bit like the good-enough-for-average-use, but-not-very-great display, aggressive memory management and other stuff, but especially for the price, it's actually not a bad offering.