The OnePlus 3 vs the Note 7

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ars has shots fired at the Note 7 here: Galaxy Note 7 review: What’s the opposite of “bang for your buck?” | Ars Technica

The overall theme is, why would you buy a Note 7 when you can get a OnePlus 3 for less than half the price? Isn't the OnePlus 3 basically the same phone minus an S-Pen?

To check that out, I did a quick spec comparison - since the spec sheet is the only place where they're "the same".

2016-08-26.png

They have the same SoC, though OP3 modified theirs in a bad way. They have the same amount of storage, though all storage isn't created equal. They both have USB C, both have cameras, both have fingerprint sensors ... what's different? Well, as in most things - the details matter, not the high level "oh, they both have that feature". The quality of the feature matters.

There are four points on which the OP3 definitively beats the Note 7. Price, build materials, speaker quality, RAM quantity. Compared to over 20 points where the Note 7 is ahead, and usually not slightly ahead - but soundly trouncing the OnePlus 3 on the same category.

Is the Note 7 perfect? Absolutely not. Is it undeniably a better device? Yes, in almost every way. Is it worth over double the price? Dunno, that's up to you and your wallet. But $850 isn't really the full price of the Note 7. It's $850, minus rebates, minus the value of the free gift, etc. All in, I can't say the Note 7 is double the device to make it an equal or better value - the OP3 likely is the better value dollar for dollar. But I also don't buy cheap things just because they're cheap. I buy what I want and if it's cheaper, cool, if not - its' worth it.

Disclaimer: I didn't buy the Note 7.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The baseband processor (modem) is integrated onto the S820 SOC. The S7 and Note 7 uses a modem capable of LTE Cat 12/13. The OnePlus 3 (USA model) uses a modem capable of LTE Cat 6, BUT doesn't support carrier aggregation, so it isn't truly LTE Cat 6. For reference, even a device like the Note 3 with the S800 chip supports carrier aggregation.

The downsides of the OnePlus 3 modem:
-NO carrier aggregation on the downlink (Note 7 supports 3x20 carrier aggregation)
-NO carrier aggregation on the uplink (Note 7 supports 2x20 carrier aggregation)
-NO 256 QAM (on the Note 7, the LTE stream is increased by ~33%.)
-NO Wi-Fi Calling
-NO VoLTE on AT&T
-NO WI-FI MIMO
-sub-par radio performance which the CEO attributes to metal construction (HUH?)

So now, you say...but I don't need 600mbps (3x20 CA + 256 QAM). This is true. But you have to understand that carrier aggregation isn't just about top speed performance, but rather a more uniform performance and of particular importance, to improve performance in low signal areas. Carrier aggregation can give you a smoother internet experience in these areas.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Re: For $850, I would rather buy 2 One Plus 3s! (Note 7 Review)

Do you have a note 7? The note 7 is a premium device with great features, might be pricy but for me it's worth the money.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

That site publishes pure rubbish, moving on.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

/facepalm

He compares the Note 7 to other devices and says for the price you pay you can get a phone that works just as well for half the price.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

I trust Michael Fisher more than this guy, and Michael calls it the best phone of the year. This review is just weird. Why would you buy two of any device? Does he think that getting two makes it twice as fast or the pictures twice as good? Silly stuff. Just because you buy two does not mean you have the equivalent of an S Pen, or the best camera available, or the best screen available.

Michael Fisher, Jaime Rivera X3 lol, MKBHD, and Flossy Carter are the ones that I listen to.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
/facepalm

He compares the Note 7 to other devices and says for the price you pay you can get a phone that works just as well for half the price.

Except the Note 7 can't be compared to other devices so simply. Name another device with the features of a Note. Once again, tone deaf.

If he had said to pick an older Note device if you value an S-Pen, I would have respected his views a lot more.

A One Plus cannot do what a Note can.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site

I feel as if the vast majority (a good amount anyway) aren't all that worried about the real world performance tests of this phone and how much (or maybe lack thereof?) of a powerhouse it is. They want it for the design, display, features that it has, IP68 rating, camera, etc etc etc.

sMt73

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

For comparison sake - I had a OnePlus 3. It is a great device that will do most anything you throw at it. The screen is great, it is fast, etc... but not Nearly as nice as the Sammy phones in the 7 series. I had both of them for a couple days, and the screen, camera, and user experience is just more enjoyable on the 7. One thing to consider, which ultimately led me to selling my OnePlus 3... the company has crappy customer service. If something goes wrong with the device, it is a nightmare to get it resolved, and takes a long time since all phones come fro China. I experienced it first hand with the OG OnePlus. In the end.. you get what you pay for.

SoundofReason

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site

For comparison sake - I had a OnePlus 3. It is a great device that will do most anything you throw at it. The screen is great, it is fast, etc... but not Nearly as nice as the Sammy phones in the 7 series. I had both of them for a couple days, and the screen, camera, and user experience is just more enjoyable on the 7. One thing to consider, which ultimately led me to selling my OnePlus 3... the company has crappy customer service. If something goes wrong with the device, it is a nightmare to get it resolved, and takes a long time since all phones come fro China. I experienced it first hand with the OG OnePlus. In the end.. you get what you pay for.

Thanks for your insightful post. It helps people that may be on the fence and see articles like this to decide.

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

Just like comparing a Kia to a BMW. Sure, they both accelerate when you press the gas and one will save you a heck of a lot of money, but one does it in style and has a heck of a lot more to offer

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

If you read most reviews, even if all agree it's the best phone, they have all mentioned price.

Flossy, "Too god damn high!"... "Do not front. You know this doesn't feel like a $1000 phone." lol
And used comparison too that if you don't need the S-pen then the $400 ZTE or One Plus 3 feel similar with the latest processor and memory/ram. And it's true and seen comparison tests with One Plus 3 to show run as well if not smoother :-\

Michael Fisher, Jaime Rivera X3 lol, MKBHD, and Flossy Carter are the ones that I listen to.

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

If you already have an s7 then no point in upgrading just for an s pen hell I still have my note 5, Samsung is starting to be like Apple wroth upgrades