Google Pixel is no Note 7

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A more direct comparison of the two devices.

Here is what I would change about the Pixel XL:

Dual front facing stereo speakers

Here is what I would change about the Note 7:

Make it so it doesn't catch on fire
Metal or plastic design, no more glass
No edged screen
Get rid of 2010 navigation buttons, correct the order, put the buttons on screen, FPS below the glass or on the back
Get rid of MicroSD slot
Create 128 GB option
Guarantee major system updates within 14 days of Google releasing
Guarantee monthly security updates within 24 hours of release
Fix the software
Do not ever, ever, ever ship phones with malware preinstalled again.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My observations are:
Cameras are so close to each other that you won't see differences
Same with the displays...they are so close to eachother you won't see a difference.

Pixel XL Pros
Fast smooth user experience. Can't stress this enough.....
Fast software updates
Google Assistant
some water proofing

Note 7 Pros
Wireless charging
SD Card
Water proofing
S-Pen

darius_robin

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Get the Note 5 if you can sacrifice the edge and better features, get the S7 edge if you can sacrifice the S Pen and slightly bigger screen (or just wait for the Note 8 , if it releases!).

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I guess I left out one other difference which is that the Note 7 was the biggest unexpected failure of the Year while the pixel was the biggest unexpected success of the year.

We still don't know the exact amount of failures. I know a lot of the claims were bogus. Mine ran fine. For the small amount of units with issues I don't think they should have killed the Note 7. Look at all the iPhone stories lately about melting down. Why are those not recalled?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
We still don't know the exact amount of failures. I know a lot of the claims were bogus. Mine ran fine. For the small amount of units with issues I don't think they should have killed the Note 7. Look at all the iPhone stories lately about melting down. Why are those not recalled?

Because the Note 7 devices were burning up at a rate of over 250 times that of the iphones? Even more if you consider that multiple generations of iphones were being reported vs 1 generation of Note 7 devices.

The Note devices sold around 4-5% of the number of devices that the same iPhone generation and have over 10 times as many reports even compared to all iPhone generations.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Because the Note 7 devices were burning up at a rate of over 250 times that of the iphones? Even more if you consider that multiple generations of iphones were being reported vs 1 generation of Note 7 devices.

The Note devices sold around 4-5% of the number of devices that the same iPhone generation and have over 10 times as many reports even compared to all iPhone generations.

Also simply because -- Samsung said "We messed up" when it came to talking about the Note 7 internals so .. That is why they were recalled... Because the people that actually put the thing together said it wasn't safe.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not that I had a Note 7 (I have had Note 2 and Note 4 phones in the past) BUT I have a Pixel and I love it, plus I just got a 5.9 inch Mate 9 which has been incredible. If you want a big phone I recommend you check out the Mate 9. :)

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Also simply because -- Samsung said "We messed up" when it came to talking about the Note 7 internals so .. That is why they were recalled... Because the people that actually put the thing together said it wasn't safe.

I think that was a big part of it too.....
Samsung owned up to it right away.....not like most companies that deny everything.
There have been 1000s of cases of exploding iphones over the years. But none with the timing and quantities of the N7.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Strongly disagree and I will go so far as to say that I cannot comprehend why you would think any of that is true. When compared to the Note 7 the pixel has a better camera, better software, better security, better build quality, better support and is better on the spec sheet on almost every category for which they are not tied. The Note 7 does better on the display and on the IP rating and that seems to be it.

LOL are you being serious?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LOL are you being serious?

Yes, I don't see anything in what you quoted that would suggest I'm not. The Note 7 was a good phone other than the catastrophic build quality issue, but it was by no means the end-all of phones and there are numerous things that it remains behind both Google and Apple on.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Display: The Note 7 was the best AMOLED available in 2016, on multiple fronts, while the Pixel XL is merely really good. Note 7 wins that one.
Battery: The Note 7 has the worst battery in the industry, while the Pixel XL is among the best around on battery life and has industry leading charging technology on board. Pixel XL wins that one.
Build Quality: The Note 7 looked nice and had the best IP rating delivered in a phone so far (along with Sony, Apple, etc) - however the obvious catastrophic build quality issue gives it a zero, while the Pixel XL is has great build quality. Pixel XL wins that one.
Audio: Both are nearly identical with headphones and both suck without headphones. Tie.
Performance: This one could be debated depending on whether or not you got an Exynos equipped Note 7 or the Snapdragon 820. On two separate fronts though, both lose to the SD821 and the Note 7 remains off the shortlist of Daydream ready devices. Pixel XL wins that one.
Storage: The Note 7 has a better base storage size, however the Pixel XL doubles it up with a 128 GB option. Pixel XL wins that one.
Software: The Note 7 made some improvements on user facing options, however it still loses on resistance to obsolescence, timely updates and lack of bloatware and is the new worst in the industry on the first two in that list. Pixel XL wins that one.
Security: The Note 7 is no slouch here, however the Pixel XL is the industry leader on security, with better software and hardware security features. Even if one wanted to debate that point, which would be foolish, the larger point is that within 30 days there will be zero Note 7's in the wild that do not have massive user-enabled security holes. The Note 7 is also not going to receive security updates, nor any of the benefits of Nougat's security. Pixel XL wins that one.
Camera: This one was close, the Note 7 has a great camera and is part of a 4 way tie for second best. But the Pixel XL is the new leader in mobile cameras, for now, so Pixel XL wins that one.

When only comparing these two devices on the above 9 categories, the Note 7 wins 1 category (display) outright and ties on 1, while the Pixel XL leads all 7 of the other categories, in 3 of which they are the undisputed industry leaders and in 2 of which the Note 7 forfeited.

Pixel XL vs Note 7.png

jusiamchez112

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
This article has basically become redundant as Samsung has decided to stop selling the Galaxy Note 7 entirely, after uncovering a serious battery flaw that was causing some users' handsets to catch fire. If you own a Galaxy Note 7, turn it off, and get it back to Samsung as soon as possible. And if you like reminiscing about what could have been, read on...

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have received my Google Pixel and it is no Note 7. I miss the curved edges, the S-pen, the sd card, the better signal, etc. While the finger print sensor is far superior to the Note 7 I still want my Note back.

It's not supposed he anything other than what it is.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Tell me a phone that can compete with the Note?

The Note 7? Every phone from 2016 and 2017 is better. The Note 8? V30 is somewhere up there as a competitor, S8+ in some ways, all three new iPhones, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 XL, HTC U11, LG G6, last year's iPhones, Moto Z2 Force, etc, etc.

Unless by "compete with the Note" you mean, "has an S-Pen" . If that's the case, that becomes a silly question.