Evo 3D vs. Galaxy Within

HootieMacMN

May 15, 2011
Visit site
So, with no official release date and rumors that release of the Evo 3D could be slipping into early July, is anyone else considering holding out a bit longer and jumping on the Samsung Within (Galaxy S II) instead, which is now rumored for a late July release?

If it really does end up being a difference of only a few weeks, I might opt for the Within. I don't care much about the 3D, and beyond that the technical aspects of the phones look fairly similar. The Within is very thin, which would be nice. (I haven't heard if 4G has been confirmed for the Within, which would be a deal breaker, but I can't imagine it wouldn't have it.)

Curious what other people are thinking- has the wait for the Evo 3D left you reconsidering?

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If the Evo 3D gets delayed into early July you can bet on the Galaxy being delayed also.

Sprint will not release its flagship phone and then 3 weeks later release another powerhouse phone. They will wait atleast 30 days so people arent returning phones.

If we have an early July evo release expect an August release for the Galaxy and then probably a September release for the Moto phone.

Over-iOS

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Posting this on here is like posting a evo3d vs. Iphone5 on an apple forum.

What do you think the majority of the answers will be.

Last edited:

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
The S2 is better than the 3D in every category I have seen. If you are not an HTC or Evo fanboy and are truly looking for the best phone out, I have no idea why you would pick the 3D over the S2. That is, unless you are gaga over 3D...

mauddib

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
No way do I pick up a Samsung. I learned my lesson on that.

HTC has everything I want. Quality phones and a Quality company.

Plus we have been waiting for the E3D for a while now what makes you think there won't be the same problems with this one. There is no release date so everything is speculation which could end up being October.

HootieMacMN

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I should clarify that I'm not trying to troll or bait people by posting this here- I posted on the Evo 3D thread because:

a) It seems like there are a lot of folks like me that are planning on switching from a non-Android device (Palm Pre here) that are regularly checking in for news on the Evo 3D and are getting impatient.

b) I couldn't find a forum dedicated to the Galaxy Within yet.

Just simple curiosity for what others are thinking as I obsese over deciding on which phone to get.

Reactions: svinyard

svinyard

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Hootie, I like the SGS2 (Within) a nice phone for sure. Samsung has done some good things here but really touchwiz is trash...even if its less stinky than before. So I wouldn't really consider the SGS2 unless you plan on putting a different ROM on it. If you do...then I'd say its much more viable option. HTC Sense, for an OOTB interface, is very nice and is getting great reviews. Plus they just announced OpenSense that will allow people to develop it even further in the community without needing to Root/ROM it. Also you get HTCSense.com access and everything that comes with it.

If I were you, I'd wait for the EVO 3d to be released and wait for more finalized reviews. So far everyone says its lightening fast and great but it's early and people get excited just to touch it.

I personally would go with HTC, they are by far the best manufacturer out there. They really are taking everything beyond what anyone else is doing besides apple.

yourfriendmat

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I should clarify that I'm not trying to troll or bait people by posting this here- I posted on the Evo 3D thread because:

a) It seems like there are a lot of folks like me that are planning on switching from a non-Android device (Palm Pre here) that are regularly checking in for news on the Evo 3D and are getting impatient.

b) I couldn't find a forum dedicated to the Galaxy Within yet.

Just simple curiosity for what others are thinking as I obsese over deciding on which phone to get.

You also have to realize that there will always be a better phone. If you keep waiting for the next phone, you'll never have a new one. The fact is, the Evo 3D has amazing specs. So does the Within, but you have to get the phone that's going to make you happiest in the end. What do you use your phone for? Will the 3D accomplish it better than the Within? Which would be more fun? Which would get you the most attention from the ladies/fellas? :p If you just wanted a phone, then you wouldn't be wasting your money on one of these devices. So you need to figure out which one will be best for what you need to do.

I could give you my opinion (go with HTC), but that's just my personal preference, and I won't shove it down your throat (FocusFreak). But just like the Within looks better on paper than the 3D, the 3D also looks better on paper than the Nexus S, but it still has a lot of happy users!

Moral: Read about them, wait to play with them (if you're patient), and see which one gives you the warm fuzzies :)

pseudobbs

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The S2 is better than the 3D in every category I have seen. If you are not an HTC or Evo fanboy and are truly looking for the best phone out, I have no idea why you would pick the 3D over the S2. That is, unless you are gaga over 3D...

So the S2 has an 8mp/2mp camera set up and NFC capability out of the box...big deal. Evo has a 960x540 qhd display (compared to S2's 800x480), Sense 3.0 (compared to the POS known as touchwiz), and will be given NFC capability in the near future via NFC sticker. Other than that, both run gingerbread on a 1.2 ghz dual core processor and are nearly identical in specs. and with nexus 3 and other quad core phones launching in the near future, the debate over dual core devices is almost pointless anyway. personally i would opt for evo 3d just for Sense over Touchwiz...

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
So the S2 has an 8mp/2mp camera set up and NFC capability out of the box...big deal. Evo has a 960x540 qhd display (compared to S2's 800x480), Sense 3.0 (compared to the POS known as touchwiz), and will be given NFC capability in the near future via NFC sticker. Other than that, both run gingerbread on a 1.2 ghz dual core processor and are nearly identical in specs. and with nexus 3 and other quad core phones launching in the near future, the debate over dual core devices is almost pointless anyway. personally i would opt for evo 3d just for Sense over Touchwiz...

True but the S2's display is amazing, much better than the 3D so less resolution is fine. They may be the same spec wise but the S2 is the fastest phone available proved by its quadrant and benchmarks. The 3D should be a great phone, but it wont be better than the S2 and may not even be better than the Motorola Photon coming to Sprint as well this summer.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Lets get a couple of things straight here. First of all, dont call anyone a fanboy. The moment you do that, any and all credibility goes right out the window. Save that childish nonsense for the Engadget forums/comments. We can have a grown adult debate on which is better without calling people fanboys. Now that we have that out of the way, lets continue with the adult debate...

The differences between the Evo 3D and SG2 arent as big as people like you think. In fact, hardware wise, you can argue they're pretty damn close. The Dual Core in the Evo 3D is VERY good, and the GPU is one of the best available right now. The SG2 may have a SLIGHT edge with its dual core and GPU, but its definitely a closer margin than the Evo 4G's processor/GPU was to the SG1's processor/GPU. So that point is all but well.. pointless. < pun .... As far as the screen, the SG2 does have the edge. But from the people ive spoken to that has seen both first hand, its not that wide of a margin. Again, closer than the OG Evo and OG SG. Also keep in mind, the Evo 3D has better resolution. Now lets talk about build quality. To be honest, this really isn't debatable. Samsung makes absolute trash quality phones. Ive YET to hold one high end Samsung phone that didn't feel like a cheap toy. HTC blows Samsung out of the water when it comes to the quality of their devices. Its seriously not even close so ill just end it with that. The cameras will be debatable. Ignoring the 3D deal, from what ive been told, despite losing 3MPs, the Evo3D is MUCH better than the picture quality from the Ev 4G specifically in low light where the Evo 4G was pretty bad w/o flash. The SG2 has a great camera as well so really its probably gonna be a draw between the picture/video quality of the two. Also, lets hope the GPS works on the SG2 :p OO and stop with this quadrant and benchmark nonsense. Obviously you have no idea how those benchmarks work. The reason the Evo 3D doesn't score as high as the GS2, is because it has a higher resolution screen. Otherwise, they're probably damn near identical.

Now lets talk software. Samsung is just as bad at software as they are at making a quality handset. Im not even going to go on my usual Touchwiz tirade that many of the OG Evo people here have seen me get into. All im gonna say is whoever is responsible for Touchwiz, should never be allowed to touch an electronic device again... EVER... Sense on the other hand is hands down the best Android skin around. By FAR the best. It's the cleanest and most functional and purposeful skin that any manufacture has been able to come up with. HTC knows how to make functional software enhancements, whereas Samsung knows how to absolutely ruin something.

Then theres product support. This is VERY important to the Android experience. Samsung should be absolutely ashamed of themselves that it took so long to get Froyo on the Galaxy line. There is truly no excuse whatsoever. Unfortunately they have no reason to be trusted that the Galaxy S2 will get any updates in a reasonable time frame. HTC is a different story. Granted, it did take a long time to get Gingerbread out for the Evo, but remember, they were the first by almost a month to get Froyo to the Evo.

Screw 3D. Nobody needs 3D, but then again nobody *needs* anything that our phones can do to begin with. HTC was very smart in making an extremely solid and amazing device and then adding the 3D feature to it. If the Evo 3D didnt have 3D, it would still be a monster of a phone. So stop with the crap that the SG2 is a hands down winner over the Evo 3D because that's just ridiculous. The hardware is very close, the software is a blowout in favor of the Evo, but at the end of the day they're BOTH absolutely amazing phones that would wipe the water with almost anything else out there..

One more thing to keep in mind... The current Evo4G running CM or any AOSP ROM for that matter, is damn near as fast as the SG1 phones. Sense really bogs things down despite it being a great skin.. The Evo 3D with CM or AOSP would be just as fast as the SG2 given the hardware similarities. So ya.. relax and stop trying to force people to like something. They both have their pros and cons. Either choice would be an absolute win.

Last edited:

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
True but the S2's display is amazing, much better than the 3D so less resolution is fine. They may be the same spec wise but the S2 is the fastest phone available proved by its quadrant and benchmarks. The 3D should be a great phone, but it wont be better than the S2 and may not even be better than the Motorola Photon coming to Sprint as well this summer.

benchmarks and quadrant scores mean nothing with real life performance....just there to be there really. Also I myself have not used a SAMOLED screen but it seems to be more of a 50-50 thing, some say they prefer it to the qhd, some like qhd better. They both have their goods and bads You seem to be here only to persuade people of your opinion that the S2 is better....

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
who cares about the "best" smartphone, if it works the way YOU want it too.. Why does anything else matter? A few specs don't mean that either phone is better... This is a e3d form.. Meaning the ppl here have already choosen to go with the evo 3d.. Nuff said

edit: tbh the "best" smartphone will only be the best for a few weeks then something with better specs will be announced

aznmode

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going with the 3d and hope I really fall inlove with everything about it. The SG2 was originally the phone I wanted because of the amoled plus screen, dual core, better dlna support (stream my avi wirelessly to my samsung dlna tv), better camera (I'm assuming based on my exp with Epic), thin and light. But after the 3d info was leaked I changed mind so I hope I'm making the right choice. Touch wiz or sense doesn't matter to me since I use CM7 with LP Plus on my Evo and am fine with it. I'm sure AOSP will come around soon enough for both phones after their release.

hoosiercub

May 6, 2010
www.facebook.com
SAMOLED is a better looking screen hands down, there is not a question about it. Samsung's proprietary filesytem that causes the lag in the touchwiz/galaxy s devices s really the downfall of the SGS2.