Weekly Photo Contest: Metals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
2015-03-23 14.50.08.jpg

Eiffel Tower metalwork.

When you think of the word "metal" your mind may instantly wander to big pieces of steel making up a bridge or a building, but metal comes in shapes, sizes and styles of all kinds. And of course multiple metals are often found working together in a bigger picture. This week's photo contest is looking for pictures of metals together, and when you think about all of the places that metals show up in your life you realize there are a ridiculous number of photo opportunities this week.

As is often the case, two winners will take home prizes this week — each one in this contest will get a new Moto E (2015)!

Entering is easy. Just drop your entry in a post below. Tell us what Android you used to get the picture, and any back story you want to add to it. We'll pick a winner Tuesday (April 1) night at 11:59 PM ET, and announce them on the blog with next Wednesday's contest.

• Pictures must be taken with an Android device
  • Pictures must be uploaded to the contest thread. I'm not running all over the Internet to track them down.
  • You have to tell us what device you used to take the picture, and any special software you might have used. Editing your pictures is fine — this is art.
  • Feel free to add a little back story — we want to know how the picture came to be.
  • You must have used a valid email address to register here at AC, so I know how to contact the winner.
  • Only one entry per week per person.

Good luck, everyone!

David Petrik

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Night shot of Tokyo Skytree with christmas illumination Dec 14th 2014. This is the tallest tower currently in the world and second tallest structure.
This was taken when I had a Sony Xperia Z2 SO-03F (Docomo variant) and Google+ auto enhance (I don't know why it is rotated incorrectly on this post, normal in my computer)
DSC_0038.jpg

Vik Eftimie

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
IMG_20150326_095816.jpg
Scrap Metal

I used my Nexus 5 with some chinese macro lens to take this photo. The software I used is Manual Camera.

This screw is sitting outdoor from last year and the changes in colors are magnificent. Once a few weeks I take a picture of it.

finac94

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
DSC_0130.jpg

A photo taken with my Sony Xperia V using stock camera app a few days from when I first got it. I was trying out macro and I thought it was a nice picture so I kept it.

EDIT: after uploading the photo it got rotated by 90° and I don't know how to rotate it back to normal. :-\

Fredrik Staurland

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
IMG_20140904_084710.jpg

Hi all,
This is my enty, It is taken with a Nexus 5 with no special software or editing.
So, I am from Norway, and this photo was taken on my first ever trip to new york. We were driving a cab blasting Celine Dion - Power of love (the volume button didn't work) as the driver was singing along careless that there were four people in the cab. He was telling us that this was Queensboro bridge and that it was the first bridge to Manhatten, which I found out just now was complete bulls**t. We ended up taking a way longe route since you can't just abrupt the Titanic theme song. This was truly one of the most absurd moment in my life.

Last edited:

AntikytheraTech

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
4a2e1c03efd011fad6a13ac0f7613263.jpg

Came across this door while walking in downtown South Norwalk. No better material to use than metal for a secure door that opens up directly onto downtown streets. I liked how the metal segments almost appear stacked like the bricks in the surrounding wall. Taken on a Nexus 5, editing done in Snapseed.

Last edited:

Reerun25

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Our log crane getting some repairs and a fresh coat of paint. I know the subject it metal and you can see some of our timber in the photo, but wood is my life... It just takes metal and steel steel to turn timber into lumber... Taken with my Note 3.

20140425_151636.jpg

barry99705

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
PANO_20150321_141324.jpg

Metal slitting plant I'm installing security cameras in. Taken with a Note2 with the google camera app. Couldn't get all the lights to light up. They're on motion sensors and by the time I got to the lift and 30 feet in the air they were already going out. :'( There aren't many coils of steel here that weigh less than a mid sized car.

Dschuls

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
This was one impression of my work at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. It was shot with my Samsung Galaxy S2 without any later enhancements. I was pretty impressed by the quality of this phone's camera and which is why I still use it as a backup device.
20120629_110333.jpg

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Taken back in Aug 2014 with my HTC One M8. The picture is a close up of padlocks on one of the 'love bridges' in Paris - Pont de l'Archevêché to be precise. We got married in Paris in 2013 and went back in 2014 - On both occasions we stuck a padlock on the bridge - both years padlocks are attached to one another. p.s. ours is the one that says K + A (right hand side). Photo was only enhanced through Google +

IMAG0245 edited.jpg

N_LaRUE

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
This is an airship hanger resurrected from the past and used as a display piece in the local area of new office buildings being built. It's fairly large. Taken around last Christmas time as there's a tree at the end.

Taken with Sony Z3. Spruced up with Snapseed.

DSC_0184_1.jpg

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Picture taken with my Moto X of some really old metal guys

I took this on my first trip to Philadelphia at the Constitution Center. Edited with Snapseed.

6270eacbc7190f43f2009612b64671f0.jpg

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
image_1.jpg train station in Pennsylvania. Nex 4, snapseed. Fingers crossed.. Well it won't let me delete the one. But it's the top pic tiny bit cropped

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    735.6 KB · Views: 49

SneezingCarrot

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
2015-03-26 03.38.55 1.jpg
Taken with my Sony Z2 on full auto mode, edited in VSCO cam (B&W filter, lowered the contrast a bit, added the very slightest vignette effect, toned the highlights down a bit)
Photo taken at the north side of the Highline in New York, where a new skyscraper was being built. It was quite a sight to behold, as the whole side of the building looked like a big mesh of metals, tubes, wiring and what-nots :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs