Android Central Photo Contest: Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
ac-photo-contest-concrete.jpg

Bike lane crossing. Taken with an Honor 5X.

Perhaps one of the most abundant building materials, you encounter various types of concrete every single day. Whether it's in its raw form, covered up, painted, integrated with something else or not yet formed and in use, there are plenty of interesting angles to see concrete from that are worth taking pictures of. We want to see your best shots of concrete for this contest.

We'll be picking out three winners for this contest, with each winner taking home a new Chromecast!

Entering is easy. Just drop your entry in a post below. Tell us what Android you used to get the picture, and any back story you want to add to it. We'll pick a winner Tuesday (February 9) night at 11:59 PM ET, and announce them on the blog with the next contest.

• Pictures must be taken with an Android device
  • Pictures must be uploaded to the contest thread. I'm not running all over the Internet to track them down.
  • You have to tell us what device you used to take the picture, and any special software you might have used. Editing your pictures is fine — this is art.
  • Feel free to add a little back story — we want to know how the picture came to be.
  • You must have used a valid email address to register here at AC, so I know how to contact the winner.
  • Only one entry per contest per person.

Good luck, everyone!

jtblazer

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
My Motorola Pure Edition says I don't have permission to complete this action when uploading a picture. Am I doing something wrong?

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
My Motorola Pure Edition says I don't have permission to complete this action when uploading a picture. Am I doing something wrong?

If you are using the ac app it's a app issue that they know about but have yet to fix. Probably never will. I have the same problem. I have to enter from a computer.

Posted via the Android Central App

vannoj

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I took this on my Nexus 5 while playing around with the Lens Blur Feature in Google Camera, while walking home in Lincoln, Nebraska. Unedited except for crop and Lens Blur in camera app.

10261028_553333108118299_1096805671_n.jpg

Dave Johnson3

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
20150913_135136-01.jpg
At the bottom of the English coastline you can find stunning cliff tops with views out to sea, and cut into one of those cliffs is an outdoor theatre called the Minack Theatre.
A mass of concrete built to seat guests and stage actors against a stunning backdrop, the Minack theatre is a great example of how Concrete can be used to create something spectacular.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minack_Theatre

forceflow22

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Concrete Jungle.
Took this during a short trip in Bangkok, this was the first morning I had over there and everything just seemed crazy and hectic to me

Taken with a Sony Xperia Z2 and edited in Google Photos

DSC_2224.jpg

jlukes

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
"The Long Thaw"

d48a3e5dee5cb0c8f27a06b59d53a287.jpg

My sidewalk 3 days after over 2 feet of snow. Was taking my dog for a walk and loved how the setting sun reflected off the remaining snow, the grass begging to peak out, and the melted snow trickling down the sidewalk.

Taken with my Nexus 6P, stock camera app and no filter. No editing needed.

wilmah

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
20151005_174442_HDR (1).jpg

I realize it's an asphalt shot- when searching for "concrete" on Google Photos- this comes up. Silly Google. Oh well- its my submission.

This was taken in early October 2015 during our roadtrip across Colorado. It was the perfect time to witness the leaves in transition. I had to be quick about taking the shot since I was laying down in the street. My wife was keeping an eye out for traffic. Good times.

LG G4
Stock App
Edited a smidge with Google photos app

Last edited:

Shaun Abshere

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Malvin-Uruguay-20151122_095330-COLLAGE.jpg

In November 2015 I used an LG G3 to make photos of the variety of concrete sidewalk tiles
underfoot in Malvin, Montevideo, Uruguay, where tiles and not large concrete slab are the norm.

The hors d'oeuvres (assembled from a supermercado in Malvin) in the upper-left corner are just for fun
and in homage to the tiles' square-within-square motif. The collage itself is a 3 x 3 tilling like most
of these concrete tiles.

I used Google Photo's image tools to adjust most of the images and then to construct the collage.

Last edited:

Nicole Quiles

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Taken on galaxy note 3. Trip to D.C. Quote in concrete at the WWII memorial. Enhanced in snapseed.

Attachments

• W6jxwaXufS-20130412_153213-02.jpeg
    W6jxwaXufS-20130412_153213-02.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 115

charleswlee

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
IMG_20160127_085449.jpg
This picture pretty much speaks for itself. I took it this morning while I was waiting for my wife at her doctor's appointment. This is the Brewery District of New Westminster, BC, which is currently undergoing an extensive redevelopment.
Taken with my beloved Nexus 5 with the Google camera app and some Pixlr blur and enhancement.

tibbar01

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The beautiful but ominous walk through a graveyard I'd take on my way to have radiation shot into my head.
Taken with a GS3, edited with Snapseed.
20150205_100934-01.jpg

dcpotter22

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
World's highest concrete steel composite arch bridge - Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge - at the Hoover Dam.

Shot on LG V10(auto), and edited in Snapseed. I love the manual mode with RAW images on the LG V10, but I was the passenger in a moving car and getting the tinted window down in time for this angle and composition was lucky, definitely would have missed it spending the typical 5-10 extra seconds that I take in manual mode. My phone also had auto-HDR on which I hate and always forget to have turned off for auto mode, but I'd rather more detail seen of the bridge and be forgiving of the bit of over processed halo along the edges that resulted from having shot in Auto-HDR mode. 20160103_130605_HDR-01.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew T Ward

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
My studio works with concrete a lot. Here is a table base and 6 foot round top we finished last week made entirely of concrete. The base is hollow and a separate piece from the top. The entire table clocks in at 725 pounds. Photo taken with Note 5 and cropped with Snapseed.

edelson .jpg

mrbanks

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
IMG_20130921_172033_769.jpg
Panoramic shot of one of the now abandoned power stations built into the cliff at Niagara Falls. This one was on the Canadian side of the river, and shot with a Droid Bionic while on one of the tour boats (so moving and the mist really hurt the shot). The history of these power stations are pretty interesting. For urban explorers, there's a site that documented an explorer's trip through the abandoned building, even going into the sealed off water tunnels and such. The images from inside were downright spooky in parts. Here's the article, with pics at the end. Ontario Generating Station | Vanishing Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith