Help Requested: Choosing a Camera

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes the lumix lx7. According to amazon, mx-1 is $258,and lx7 is $299.

But for me, most important was low light no flash scenario. My knowledge of cameras is extremely limited, but it was my understanding that a f1.4 in the lx7 should be better in low light no flash situations over the mx-1's f1.8.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

On paper, in theory, and in practice it is.

But I'm never going to shoot at f1.4 because of the short dof. I don't shoot any lower than 2.8 unless I have the macro setup out. If you need to shoot with an f-stop that low, go for the Lumix. It all comes down to what you need. Unfortunately, you never know what you need until you try it :p

Do a little research session on photography exposure. The relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture is really easy to understand once you get a handle on it. A camera with image quality at higher ISO will take the same picture as a lens with a big f-stop if you bump the ISO. Same thing goes for shutter speed, which is why you can take night shots that look like daytime with a long exposure and a tripod. As an Android nerd, you'll love learning how it all works, then get hooked and become a camera nerd :p

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Amazon.com: Pentax MX-1 12 MP Black Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD Screen: PENTAX: Camera & Photo

Pentax MX-1: Digital Photography Review

I actually have the Sony you linked. I also had a Nikon L820, which as mentioned is very close to the Nikon you're considering.

This Pentax is a far better camera IMO than both. Look on the blog, and if you see a picture from me, chances are it was taken with the little Pentax. I got it as a throwaway until I could try a few micro 4/3 cameras, and ended up liking it better than the ones I tried and the one I ultimately bought. I choose it over my DSLR most of the time, and rarely regret it.

Edited to add:
Of the two you've listed, go for the NEX. It's deliciously small, which means you won't balk at having it with you. If you spring for a pancake lens (there's a great 16mm f2.8 for it) it fits comfortably in a pocket.

Wow. I am not even in the market for a new camera and I want a Pentax MX-1. I didn't even know this little badass even existed.

ಠ益ಠ

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow. I am not even in the market for a new camera and I want a Pentax MX-1. I didn't even know this little badass even existed.

ಠ益ಠ

I agree, that's a very compelling little shooter. It and the NEX are the final 2 in the showdown, and they each have pros and cons against each other. dpreview's on both are positively glowing on the aspects that I care about and most of their "cons" are things I couldn't really care less about, given the way I use cameras. This is going to be a tough call.

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree, that's a very compelling little shooter. It and the NEX are the final 2 in the showdown, and they each have pros and cons against each other. dpreview's on both are positively glowing on the aspects that I care about and most of their "cons" are things I couldn't really care less about, given the way I use cameras. This is going to be a tough call.

Well the Pentax has a cooler retro look imo if that is any consolation. The Sony looks like ever Sony camera ever made. Which isn't a bad thing either.

ಠ益ಠ

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

ಠ益ಠ

True! :D
But the Sony I have works great and my GS4's camera is also great so my wife won't let me get a new camera! :p

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Does this need to be added to the comparison? Nikon tries the Android camera again with the Coolpix S810c | Android Central

nikon_coolpix_s810c.jpg