Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Default Re: Root Motorola Photon 4G without the HD Dock.

So when rooting this phone can it be done on the mac? Custom roms are those like custom os> And can we back up somewhere before we try this root?

Quote Originally Posted by Lokifish View Post
    Root will give you the ability to do the following:
    Enable dockless WebTop
    Unlock the bootloader
    CWM custom recovery
    Run a Webtop alternative like Ubuntu
    Custom ROMs (not much really available but be patient)
    I appreciate the answer as to what rooting will do. I don't see that I need or could really use any of those things, in preference to the standard firmware. I think I will stick with standard for now.

curious

Congratulations! You are rooted!

/bin/tar xf /data/tmp/root.tar

is that last part a command we do need to run, not sure why that last bit is there. thanks

does rooting allow for free hotspot? or do you have to install a custom ROM or more stuff to get the free hotspot to work?

Quote Originally Posted by mcp6530 View Post
    does rooting allow for free hotspot? or do you have to install a custom ROM or more stuff to get the free hotspot to work?
    Root is all you need.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Rooted)

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I am having trouble with the adb, when I enter the "adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp" then I get the message "daemon started successfully" after that I get "error: device not found". All the drivers loaded on my system correctly. Any ideas?

Update, I solved this one. I found on other threads that the phone needs ot have "USB Debugging" activated and in "just Charge" mode. Next issue is the error I get when I issue the /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.sh command. I get "ERROR: ld.so: object 'libpcprofile.so' cannot be loaded as audit interface: undefined symbol: la_version; ignored.
    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.x0_lock and start again."

What now?

Update: I kept searching different forums and found that this error message can indicate that you have actually rooted your device. Install the app "APP Checker" from the Android Market. When I ran this app, I was told that I was "rooted".

SUCCESS!
    Last edited by geekman2; 08-25-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Septiformus likes this.

does this method still work after the update? do i have to do anything different to root? will i lose all of my settings if i root?

Global Posts
    4,498 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I used the one-click method after the update:

"The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

arrgg, noob here, when i type adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp in cmd prompt it says "error: device not found"

Quote Originally Posted by jayglosodajo View Post
    arrgg, noob here, when i type adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp in cmd prompt it says "error: device not found"
    Don't just skip to the bottom of a post, look at the top of this page and it was already answered

.exe file doesn't work on my mac. is there a mac version of this?

I just did a One click root on my Motorola Photon 4G. Got it from xda today and it worked perfectly.
    To simple and everything works.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurcwillis View Post
    I just did a One click root on my Motorola Photon 4G. Got it from xda today and it worked perfectly.
    To simple and everything works.
    did all your info/apps/settings get wiped or was it all still there after rooting?

I have the phone , just over a week, and I am really enjoying it, ....But why should I root my MOTO PHOTON?

i got this to work, unfortunatly i have such a tight budget i cant donate otherwise i would.

but what about a lapdock software, is it possible to run one of those?
    Before Evo(blackberry tour):

Sprint Data 8/27 to 06/04 (JONATHAN)
    Used. 280,329KB/ Unlimited

After Evo:

Sprint Data 06/04 to 6/26 (JONATHAN)
    Used. 4,558,564KB/Unlimited

Evo with $30 mobile hotspot (no 4g)

Sprint Data 8/27 to 9/26
    Used. 54,205,343KB/ Unlimited

Mobile Hotspot record owner
    http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums

Quote Originally Posted by ppowerman5000 View Post
    I have the phone , just over a week, and I am really enjoying it, ....But why should I root my MOTO PHOTON?
    I want to know the answer to this question too. The only thing I have heard so far is that if you root the phone, you can bypass needing the docking station to use the HD display app? But you would still need an HDMI cable of some sort, wouldn't you?

I think the phone works great as is. Best android phone I've owned so far. This is my fourth.

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Opps ignore this post

So glad this came out yay!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daryldarko View Post
    I want to know the answer to this question too. The only thing I have heard so far is that if you root the phone, you can bypass needing the docking station to use the HD display app? But you would still need an HDMI cable of some sort, wouldn't you?

I think the phone works great as is. Best android phone I've owned so far. This is my fourth.
    well you can use wifi teather app so you can teather for free.

sorry for the noob question but, what benefits is there by rooting the photon???? just really curious whats the difference between being rooted and non-rooted. and if it affects my warranty?? thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    4,498 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Gil View Post
    sorry for the noob question but, what benefits is there by rooting the photon???? just really curious whats the difference between being rooted and non-rooted. and if it affects my warranty?? thanks in advance.
    As of right now, I only rooted for the Wifi tether capability which comes in handy for me quite often. As for the warranty question, it doesn't void it but if you bring your phone in to a Sprint store to get it fixed they will un-root you.

Eventually, devs will cook up some ROMs for us and we'll be able to change the look and feel of our MoPhos.

OK, can someone elaborate a little on what to type and where? Just a little confused and I am getting some of the same errors as others on here. I have checked to make sure I am in the proper directory, eg; cd C:\photonroot. I have all the necessary files downloaded and copied to the same folder as well. ?????? Help!

Global Posts
    4,498 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by mikekellam View Post
    OK, can someone elaborate a little on what to type and where? Just a little confused and I am getting some of the same errors as others on here. I have checked to make sure I am in the proper directory, eg; cd C:\photonroot. I have all the necessary files downloaded and copied to the same folder as well. ?????? Help!
    Are you using the one click method?

Quote Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
    I keep getting an error when I type in adb shell. Is it possible for someone to PM me with some more detailed instructions on how to root this thing. I rooted my EVO and had no issues but I am still new with the Android world. Thanks!
    Same here... says device not found.... any help out there?

I need a recommendation... I still have the sleep of death issue, 30 days are over, should I try and get another phone again or root as is?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast