Root Motorola Photon 4G without the HD Dock.

daryldarko

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the phone , just over a week, and I am really enjoying it, ....But why should I root my MOTO PHOTON?
I want to know the answer to this question too. The only thing I have heard so far is that if you root the phone, you can bypass needing the docking station to use the HD display app? But you would still need an HDMI cable of some sort, wouldn't you?

I think the phone works great as is. Best android phone I've owned so far. This is my fourth.

joneslaw22#AC

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I want to know the answer to this question too. The only thing I have heard so far is that if you root the phone, you can bypass needing the docking station to use the HD display app? But you would still need an HDMI cable of some sort, wouldn't you?

I think the phone works great as is. Best android phone I've owned so far. This is my fourth.
well you can use wifi teather app so you can teather for free.

gilgastelum21

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
sorry for the noob question but, what benefits is there by rooting the photon???? just really curious whats the difference between being rooted and non-rooted. and if it affects my warranty?? thanks in advance.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
sorry for the noob question but, what benefits is there by rooting the photon???? just really curious whats the difference between being rooted and non-rooted. and if it affects my warranty?? thanks in advance.

As of right now, I only rooted for the Wifi tether capability which comes in handy for me quite often. As for the warranty question, it doesn't void it but if you bring your phone in to a Sprint store to get it fixed they will un-root you.

Eventually, devs will cook up some ROMs for us and we'll be able to change the look and feel of our MoPhos.

anon(473982)

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, can someone elaborate a little on what to type and where? Just a little confused and I am getting some of the same errors as others on here. I have checked to make sure I am in the proper directory, eg; cd C:\photonroot. I have all the necessary files downloaded and copied to the same folder as well. ?????? Help!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
OK, can someone elaborate a little on what to type and where? Just a little confused and I am getting some of the same errors as others on here. I have checked to make sure I am in the proper directory, eg; cd C:\photonroot. I have all the necessary files downloaded and copied to the same folder as well. ?????? Help!

Are you using the one click method?

LetMeOutOfYourBox

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting an error when I type in adb shell. Is it possible for someone to PM me with some more detailed instructions on how to root this thing. I rooted my EVO and had no issues but I am still new with the Android world. Thanks!
Same here... says device not found.... any help out there?

EvoRoy

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I need a recommendation... I still have the sleep of death issue, 30 days are over, should I try and get another phone again or root as is?

geekman2

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Having trouble re rooting. The update message kept popping up, then I hit the wrong button and started the update. So far not succesful in re rooting. I tried MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe., everything ran fine and said I was rooted. But I ran Root Checker and it tels me that I am not rooted. Will keep trying.

Last edited:

geekman2

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Same here... says device not found.... any help out there?

What most of the post don't tell you:
Make sure all drivers are loaded and working - Motorola Media link should run
after plugging in USB cable, set the USB options to "just Charge"
Then put the phone in "USB Debugging" Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging and check that box.

jgrudier

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Worked great, thank you.
I got the error as well in the second to the last step but I continued and everything worked great. Thanks again

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Having trouble re rooting. The update message kept popping up, then I hit the wrong button and started the update. So far not succesful in re rooting. I tried MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe., everything ran fine and said I was rooted. But I ran Root Checker and it tels me that I am not rooted. Will keep trying.

I updated too and used [ACS] Photon 4G AIO root *working* - xda-developers again to re-root my MoPho. It worked like a charm!!

kristoffer10

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Finally have root. I had to push the adb way through command prompt and uninstall the superuser update. That seemed to have been my problem all along...

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
i've had problems with my phone since the latest update.

I re-rooted but most apps say not rooted - but rootcheck says i'm rooted. it also says my su binary needs to be updated, but it says i don't have root!

any suggestions on how to fix this? can i unroot and retry the root?

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I updated too and used [ACS] Photon 4G AIO root *working* - xda-developers again to re-root my MoPho. It worked like a charm!!

That method installs SuperUser to the Systems app directory (meaning it can't easily be uninstalled, and not at all if you lose root access) and it screws up 4g.

I *hate* to think I'm going to have to use it again so I can uninstall the system folder superuser and install it properly through the marketplace.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
That method installs SuperUser to the Systems app directory (meaning it can't easily be uninstalled, and not at all if you lose root access) and it screws up 4g.

I *hate* to think I'm going to have to use it again so I can uninstall the system folder superuser and install it properly through the marketplace.

My 4G works just fine after rooting with that method.

Sent from my MoPho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance