Root Motorola Photon 4G without the HD Dock.

Verichatov

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance. I was looking to get this phone and use it as a computer with the dock, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Does rooting the phone make it so I don't need the dock? Also, like what Statdoc said, what will it do rooted that it cannot do now?

Thanks

Lokifish

Banned
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance. I was looking to get this phone and use it as a computer with the dock, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Does rooting the phone make it so I don't need the dock? Also, like what Statdoc said, what will it do rooted that it cannot do now?

Thanks

Root will give you the ability to do the following:
Enable dockless WebTop
Unlock the bootloader
CWM custom recovery
Run a Webtop alternative like Ubuntu
Custom ROMs (not much really available but be patient)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
1. This is AMAZING!!!! Thank you for all your hard work and getting root without having to use the Web Dock.

2. This may sound dumb but can someone post a video of this? I'm more of a visual learner and would greatly appreciate it if someone could record the process :)

EDIT: Had I realized that there was a 2nd and 3rd page, I would have seen the post of someone saying there was a video on youtube :p

anon(171363)

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
So the only issue I have noticed so far that I didn't have before rooting is my WIFI connection keeps dropping and takes forever to reconnect. Is anyone else having this issue?

taurtex

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Which version of CWM Recovery are you supposed to install for the Photon? I don't see it listed on the supported CWM phones. Thanks.

bcbbanga4l

Q&A Team
Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So when rooting this phone can it be done on the mac? Custom roms are those like custom os> And can we back up somewhere before we try this root?

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Root will give you the ability to do the following:
Enable dockless WebTop
Unlock the bootloader
CWM custom recovery
Run a Webtop alternative like Ubuntu
Custom ROMs (not much really available but be patient)
I appreciate the answer as to what rooting will do. I don't see that I need or could really use any of those things, in preference to the standard firmware. I think I will stick with standard for now.

|-KGB-|CaptHowdy

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
curious

Congratulations! You are rooted!

/bin/tar xf /data/tmp/root.tar

is that last part a command we do need to run, not sure why that last bit is there. thanks

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
does rooting allow for free hotspot? or do you have to install a custom ROM or more stuff to get the free hotspot to work?

geekman2

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I am having trouble with the adb, when I enter the "adb push photon-torpedo.tar /data/tmp" then I get the message "daemon started successfully" after that I get "error: device not found". All the drivers loaded on my system correctly. Any ideas?

Update, I solved this one. I found on other threads that the phone needs ot have "USB Debugging" activated and in "just Charge" mode. Next issue is the error I get when I issue the /data/tmp/photon-torpedo.sh command. I get "ERROR: ld.so: object 'libpcprofile.so' cannot be loaded as audit interface: undefined symbol: la_version; ignored.
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.x0_lock and start again."

What now?

Update: I kept searching different forums and found that this error message can indicate that you have actually rooted your device. Install the app "APP Checker" from the Android Market. When I ran this app, I was told that I was "rooted".

SUCCESS!

Last edited:

mcp6530

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
does this method still work after the update? do i have to do anything different to root? will i lose all of my settings if i root?

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I used the one-click method after the update:

[ACS] Photon 4G AIO root *working* - xda-developers

1314410291509.jpg

jonathanlc2005

May 4, 2010
Visit site
i got this to work, unfortunatly i have such a tight budget i cant donate otherwise i would.

but what about a lapdock software, is it possible to run one of those?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon