Should I return my new iPad Air 2 for this?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Bought a refurbished 128GB iPad Air 2. Still within the 14 day return window.

Disappointed by the current poor state of optimisation with iOS 9. Even more disappointed by the abysmal state of iTunes on Windows - it's as if Apple is purposely trying to kill my laptop (it eats up 30-50% CPU at all times running in the background on a quad core i7 Haswell CPU).

Also struggling to get used to the restricted nature of iOS. Little things like how you can't bring down the notification shade in YouTube without pausing the video.

I have heard that iPad has many more tablet optimised apps, which is why I went with it. Additionally the Nexus 9 had build quality issues which is why I avoided that. Now this new Nexus-in-all-but-name is really enticing me after seeing the current sorry state of iTunes and iOS. Especially the former.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maclancer

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
You should have not touch anything made by Apple. The nexus 9 is a piece of marble and also the LG 8.3 inch tablet with 2GB of ram is another that caught my interest.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Disappointed by the current poor state of optimisation with iOS 9. Even more disappointed by the abysmal state of iTunes on Windows - it's as if Apple is purposely trying to kill my laptop (it eats up 30-50% CPU at all times running in the background on a quad core i7 Haswell CPU).

Also struggling to get used to the restricted nature of iOS. Little things like how you can't bring down the notification shade in YouTube without pausing the video.

I have heard that iPad has many more tablet optimised apps, which is why I went with it. Additionally the Nexus 9 had build quality issues which is why I avoided that. Now this new Nexus-in-all-but-name is really enticing me after seeing the current sorry state of iTunes and iOS. Especially the former.

First of all, Apple probably is trying to kill your Windows laptop. Hey, it's just what they do. :)

But seriously, I would say consider the Pixel C but until it is actually released, you won't know if it will meet your needs or not. Moreover, my wife has an iPad Air 2, has never had any problems and loves it. But then again, she's bought into the entire Apple ecosystem -- iPad, iPhone, iMac and all. (I know, I know but she wasn't like that when we first met and I've grown to love her over the many years.) Since you bought your iPad refurbished, it is highly possible that the problem is with that particular device. If you're still within your 14-day return window, I would say return it and see if you can get another.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site

If I was you, I would hold on to my iPad Air 2. The tablet optimized app market is amazing and that device can do almost anything although you are more limited. Learn how to use iOS 9 and you may not be disappointed in the end. I think android tablets are only good as media devices since you literally have no restrictions. Also get you a fintie keyboard case for your iPad Air 2 and it changes everything.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
If I was you, I would hold on to my iPad Air 2. The tablet optimized app market is amazing and that device can do almost anything although you are more limited. Learn how to use iOS 9 and you may not be disappointed in the end. I think android tablets are only good as media devices since you literally have no restrictions. Also get you a fintie keyboard case for your iPad Air 2 and it changes everything.
Yeah man, I did decide to stick with the Air 2 and have no regrets. iOS 9.2 update has greatly improved the OS and I'm quickly getting used to how iOS works now ^-^

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I too love my iPad Air 2. I find myself using whatever device works. There's a mix of Apple, Linux, Windows and a lot of Android in my Arsenal these days.

I would like to see the Pixel C take off though.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed ... I bought into the Google ecosystem early on, and now I'm stuck even if I wanted to change its not worth it (and I don't, I still like being stuck). If I already had been an apple user the Pixel C wouldn't tempt me at all to change.

I never tell people to switch mobile platforms if they've already been on a single one for more than three years unless they really want to switch, but hardware shouldn't make you switch, features in the software should and with the Pixel C its all hardware reasons.

But given your situation, I can say, and I'll show my troll side, I still can't figure out how the heck to send, attach, or save locally non-photos/videos on my work iPhone and Android is much more intuitive and similar to non-mobile OSes -- and Google Play Music, while a bit of a hog at times, works so much better than iTunes imho.

I have a N9 and Pixel C ... I can say the N9 initial issues are gone, and unless you really need a keyboard or really want a 10" form factor, I'd recommend the N9 over the Pixel C if you want the better tablet experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Agreed ... I bought into the Google ecosystem early on, and now I'm stuck even if I wanted to change its not worth it (and I don't, I still like being stuck). If I already had been an apple user the Pixel C wouldn't tempt me at all to change.

I never tell people to switch mobile platforms if they've already been on a single one for more than three years unless they really want to switch, but hardware shouldn't make you switch, features in the software should and with the Pixel C its all hardware reasons.

But given your situation, I can say, and I'll show my troll side, I still can't figure out how the heck to send, attach, or save locally non-photos/videos on my work iPhone and Android is much more intuitive and similar to non-mobile OSes -- and Google Play Music, while a bit of a hog at times, works so much better than iTunes imho.

I have a N9 and Pixel C ... I can say the N9 initial issues are gone, and unless you really need a keyboard or really want a 10" form factor, I'd recommend the N9 over the Pixel C if you want the better tablet experience.

Reason why I have always used two platforms...both ios and android. I will always have a ipad, android phone and maybe a android tablet. When I'm ready to get a device especially the more powerful devices, I can switch easily since I am part of both ecosystems.

William Seppeler

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

I'd almost make the same recommendation except I think everyone needs to stop thinking they NEED the keyboard when they get the Pixel C. There should be more reviews that praise the Pixel C for being a $500 high end Android tablet. By itself it's a fantastic device. Is it worth the money? I'll say it this way: People who love their iPads definitely feel that it's worth paying a premium price. That's what the Pixel C experience is like. It's basically an iPad that runs Android.

And that's exactly what should end all the iPad vs Pixel reviews. Performancewise, the Pixel C has the edge over an iPad 2 but you'll never really notice. They're basically the same look and feel. Buy for the ecosystem because the hardware is very much on par. If you're more vested in one ecosystem, then stay with that. If you want to switch, then consider the new investment. If you want to compare ecosystems, then there's plenty of room for debate.

My one day review of the Pixel C is wow. How nice it is to have that premium hardware experience in Android. So smooth and fast. Just a beautiful piece of equipment. The keyboard is nice, but my primary use for it is a tablet stand and screen cover. I mostly just like to hold the tablet and find it's not worth the extra weight of holding the keyboard too, so that usually stays on the table. The Pros of the device are raved about all over the net, so I'll just give a few end user Cons. Not really complaints. Just my personal experience.

1) My only other tablet is the original Nexus 7. To be honest, I miss the form factor of the 7 over this monster. Seems everyone feels bigger is better. I personally like the feel of the Nexus 7 better. I do hope that Google plans a Pixel 7 in the future.

2) The super strong magnets are pretty cool. The tablet is a little hefty, but the weight feels good to me. Which makes the magnets even more so impressive. Yes, the tablet and keyboard will stick to your refrigerator. I was curious if the magnets were in the keyboard or the tablet. They are in BOTH and they're super strong. When they stick to your refrigerator, they really stick. Now this is cool, but the coolness can become annoying. If you store the keyboard against the screen like I do, you don't just pickup the tablet really quick. It takes an effort to slide the keyboard off the screen. The keyboard is cool, but I'll be shopping a regular portfolio case (no keyboard) once such things become available for the Pixel C.

3) As a Google ecosystem experience, it would have been nice if Google tossed in a perk. Nothing big, just a little something to test out the new Pixel C with. Maybe a premium game that really shows off the Pixel C performance, a movie, and some music.

4) I like the new USB type C interface. It's my first device to have one. Like my MacBook power plug, there's no up or down. The plug can be inserted either way. That's handy. But for all the super magnets in the tablet and keyboard, I'm so surprised they didn't extend that coolness to having a magnetized USB type C plug. I'm sure such a thing would have been non-standard by USB type C specs, but I'm sure they could have worked up a special Google branded magnetic USB type C power plug. It's a small gripe, but such a feature would have been REALLY nice.

5) Perhaps a small...ever so small ask....would be that they included a sleeve to store/carry the device in. Assuming you buy the Pixel C without the keyboard, you will have absolutely nothing to store the device in. It's so new that no one makes any cases for it. It just would have been nice if Google included a basic fabric pouch to carry the device in. Since I did buy the keyboard, I do carry the tablet around that way, but it still doesn't feel secure. The magnetic keyboard really sticks to the tablet, but it's quite possible for the tablet and keyboard to slip apart. Needless to say, I'll be looking for some solution to carry this beauty around in.

Overall, my unboxing and one day experience has been most positive. I've always envied iPad users. Even as an Android user, I could hardly recommend any Android tablet over an iPad. The Apple hardware experience is second to none...well...with exception of today. I can honestly say that the iPad and Pixel are tied for that premium experience. If you want to compare two devices, then the Pixel vs the iPad Air 2 would be a good comparison. Two premium tablets at the same price. The Pixel has the better CPU+GPU, but you won't notice the performance much. The only real difference is which ecosystem you're buying into. Even though I'm an Android user, I can honestly say that Apple probably has the edge there. But that's not due to Apple. It just seems that developers favor the Apple ecosystem. However, I like the Google stuff better. We all have our preferences.

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I really like some of the apps available for the iPad Pro, however it's the system that prevents me from using one. I recently bought the iPad Pro, loved the hardware, the speed, the apps but I just couldn't get over the lack of even the most basic of features. The biggest complaint I had though was the way iOS dealt with files, it's just simply horrible. When I would download a file from the Internet, which by the way I had to use Chrome for becasue Safari didn't support downloading (yeah), I would first have to share the file with another app, leaving the original file still in Chrome, edit the file, than share it again to my cloud storage, creating another file, that's 3 files created. In Android I use FX File Explorer, I not only have all of my cloud services, NAS drives both from home and work and FTP sites connected but local files are all in a single area, I just click open. When I save a file, I know where their going and one file is created, not multiple. In iOS files are thrown throughout the system and finding something is well, almost impossible unless you know exactly where they are.

Than there was multitasking, I use a terminal probably more than any other app, however in iOS when I'm connected to a remote server and than put the terminal in the background, the system will pause the connection, thus interrupting any process I'm doing, I.e. compiling. After further investigation, it looks like only about 1% of the apps available can actually run in the background, even though the Pro has 4GB of memory. There was also the issue of apps not supporting the resolution of the Pro, over 80% of the apps I installed didn't support it, instead they were pixel doubled, even worst, they used a completely different keyboard from the systems default, one that was also pixel doubled so it looked weird, grainy and was missing many features. The new dual app view, only about 120 apps actually support that, in case some of you were thinking that I should have just used that with the terminal app, nope, not supported. Now I'm sure this will get better over time but something hit me, that every time Apple will release a new feature I will have to go through this all over again, as apps in iOS are basically seperate entities do to that walled garden nonsense. So every single new feature will have to be individually added to every app. Apps are like islands in iOS, completely self sustaining, even their resolution is independant from the systems, hence the problems with apps not supporting the Pro right now. That's also why when you've ever plugged in a monitor or TV into your iPad the experience was extremely inconsistent and why the desktop didn't support either the resolution or aspect ratio. There were many other things like no mouse support, which is really needed when using the keyboard unless you like having to constantly reach up to navigate the UI (it get's old, real quick so think about that before you comment) but at this point I just gave up, returned the Pro and bought a Pixel C.

It's a really great little machine, I'm even using it as a laptop because I got Arch Linux working on it, there are even native GPU drivers available for the Nvidia X1 and it's fast. I'm an Android user, that's really all there is to it, I like the file-system, multitasking, I don't need spit screen if the apps can run in the background as 10" is to small, I have PIP for my videos, I have my custom launcher, Smart Launcher Pro 3 which is just fantastic, I have USB C with a dock that includes an HDMI, USB 3, SD Card and Ethernet. I can connect my Pixel C to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and use it as a desktop computer, I can even extended the desktop using a great app called, Second Display, change the DPI to reflect that of a normal looking desktop UI. IOS looks almost comical when connected to the same monitor as everything is just so huge, plus it's just mirrored and doesn't support the Rez or even the aspect ratio, just a bad implementation and again, it's all because of that walled garden nonsense. The build quality is fantastic, I have portable mouse to use when the keyboard is connected and I really don't care how many people say that a touch device doesn't need a mouse, when your using the external keyboard, which be the way that touch OS also has in the way of a virtual one, a mouse is needed. Which is why I find it ironic when iPad Pro users shot back at me for complaining about this because their already using a external keyboard, so than why is a mouse so bad. It's because Apple doesn't support it and they feel they have to protect Apple's decision on that matter, everything they do is the gold standard, that's all. By the way, iOS works fine with a mouse, my cousin has a jail broken iPad and uses one all the time, when he's also using a keyboard, I mean really, what's one more input device amongst friends.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I've used the floating windows app for AOSP and Samsung's devices with multitasking and TBH I don't see the use for multitasking much esp on smaller devices, it gets cumbersome and inwardly fast for me, but that's just an opinion and my use case.

I think people,once they get multitasking, will then complain about the use cases for it, and how some apps don't work well with it.

Fact is, there are tablets for a reason, and laptops for a reason. If you want everything you have on your laptop in a tablet by a smaller touchscreen laptop that flips over, and if you want a device for media consumption, web browsing, and smaller form factor, buy a tablet.

I agree the keyboard isn't necessary at all ... And it's a great high-end Android tablet.

I will say I do enjoy the keyboard as a solid tablet stand, sure it's an expensive stand if that's all you're using it as, but when sitting in bed, or at a table, its nice to not have to pick up or place it down on the table. This, coupled with how natural the keyboard feels, has actually made me use the Pixel C far more than any other tablet I've ever had. I'm actually using it for emails, documents, etc ... Whereas other tablets I've had I'd never consider editing or writing docs on them, merely viewing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze