I've got a Pixel C, you've got questions. Fire away!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
phil-pixel-c.jpg

Hey, folks. I've been playing with the Pixel C for a day now. Working on more stories on the blog side of things. But if you've got questions, I'll find answers. Fire away!

polar135

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Do you really need the keyboard? I grabbed one to future proof myself tablet wise but I have a laptop so don't really see a point (based on my usage)

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Do you really need the keyboard? I grabbed one to future proof myself tablet wise but I have a laptop so don't really see a point (based on my usage)

Right now it's very much just an Android tablet. BUT ... As there aren't yet any other sort of smart covers or anything, the keyboards are a good way to protect the display when not in use. (That's an expensive way to do that though.)

bobbyg

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Any comments on the usability for typing of any length? Really want to be able to use this as a productivity device. To that end, I'm anxious to see the multiwindow implementation mentioned in yesterday's Reddit AMA. It's not keeping me from getting one though--it's waiting for me to open at home.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Any comments on the usability for typing of any length? Really want to be able to use this as a productivity device. To that end, I'm anxious to see the multiwindow implementation mentioned in yesterday's Reddit AMA. It's not keeping me from getting one though--it's waiting for me to open at home.

It's cramped, but it's not bad. It's for sure way better than the abomination that was the $129 Nexus 9 keyboard.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-9-keyboard-folio-video-review

techboydino

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a hard time justifying a mobile platform tablet but have had quite a few. Mostly for gaming and entertainment during travel. I was hoping to see the Shield X1 this year, but very interested in this tablet except for the heavy price tag. What benefit do you see having this tablet with the X1 for productivity? What part of that model will actually use the power behind the Nvidia platform? Thx

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is this worth buying now? Especially as indications from the Google team on Reddit seemed to imply that there are more things to come software wise?

Rickhuizinga

May 18, 2010
Visit site
How long does your keyboard hold a charge? Mine arrived near empty and lasted 5 minutes during the initial setup. After charging overnight, it only lasted 15-20 minutes this morning.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I have a hard time justifying a mobile platform tablet but have had quite a few. Mostly for gaming and entertainment during travel. I was hoping to see the Shield X1 this year, but very interested in this tablet except for the heavy price tag. What benefit do you see having this tablet with the X1 for productivity? What part of that model will actually use the power behind the Nvidia platform? Thx

I agree in that it's hard to justify a mobile OS with a keyboard for that kind of money. It's even harder to justify carrying around the weight of this particular tablet (and the keyboard adds about 75 percent MORE) in addition to a laptop.

As for NVIDIA? For one, it's got a bunch of audio stuff in there. (Not sure how much of that's being used yet since things like the google hotword aren't yet active.)

Anecdotally, it hasn't gotten as hot playing Vainglory as the N9 does. That'll be a combination of proc + design, of course.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Your own type of job will determine how productive a tablet will be to you.

Personally, I consider tablets to be complements to laptops and desktops. Not replacements.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Your own type of job will determine how productive a tablet will be to you.

Personally, I consider tablets to be complements to laptops and desktops. Not replacements.

Exactly. And I tend to be less "productive" when I've got a tablet with games and stuff, too, ya know?

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
How long does your keyboard hold a charge? Mine arrived near empty and lasted 5 minutes during the initial setup. After charging overnight, it only lasted 15-20 minutes this morning.

That's a pretty personal question, isn't it? (And not really one I can answer just yet. Need more time with it.)

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I own an Nexus 9. Is this, in YOUR opinion, worth upgrading my tablet game for?

I feel like it's more of the same (obviously new hardware, but...) so I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts having used both.

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Is this worth buying now? Especially as indications from the Google team on Reddit seemed to imply that there are more things to come software wise?

Not to spoil the review, but I'd probably wait. There's a LOT I like about it. But what does it really do at this point that the Nexus 9 doesn't do cheaper and lighter?

(But, damn, this display is nice.)

Phil Nickinson

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I own an Nexus 9. Is this, in YOUR opinion, worth upgrading my tablet game for?

I feel like it's more of the same (obviously new hardware, but...) so I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts having used both.

Need more time playing with it. I'm worried about the weight while gaming long-term.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As I don't play games on Android I use my tablet for browsing, social media, music and movies, would you say I'm better sticking with the Nexus 9, would this be a pointless expensive upgrade?

Posted via the Android Central App