If the Pixel C hadn't been released with a keyboard, would it have been received better?

Jagd Tiger

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
Its possible with some reviewers that they are mostly apple fans so they won't or don't review other tablets in a unbiased manner.

Last edited:

dkryder

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
i bought a pixel c and i like it for the most part. that said i do see it as a failure. i'm certain it was supposed to run chrome OS and the team was unable to make that happen so rather than scrap what was most likely a very expensive design process they decided to hack android into it. there was no reason to give it a coreboot boot process if it was an android tablet from the get go. there is no reason for it to have an unused chromeos partition unless it was supposed to be used to run chrome OS. so yeah, google failed and rather than eat the costs they decided to push it out the door as an android that now has a somewhat screwed boot process and has proven difficult to root partially because it is a somewhat broken implementation of their traditional android offering.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
If anything the Pixel C should (as currently implemented with AOSP) have an optional keyboard since its clearly a 10" Android tablet.

If it came with Chrome OS or Remix OS or some other productivity varient, then I wouldn't call it a failure, rather a money grab. Remember the Surface - which is clearly touted as a laptop replacement - doesn't bundle with a keyboard, its an option. That's more a failure imho but I also understand the need for revenue and listing the price of the Surface at $899 instead of 1,099 is a big psychological mind game and rightfully so.

So I wouldn't say the keyboard makes or breaks the Pixel C, but if Google sold it as a bundle, in the beginning at least for early adopters as a bonus, for $599 total ... Or even $649 lets say, then I think people would be a little less critical of the obvious flaws and rush out the door ... At least I would be.

Posted via the Android Central App

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
there is not one tablet optimized application for this device yet it's sprung on consumers like some second coming of android tablets

I know I'm late to this thread, but this has to be one of the worst and most ill-conceived attack points that has continuously been used to unfairly tar this tablet.

I haven't bought one but if I am to be persuaded not to then someone has to come up with a more credible argument--and no, I didn't come here to be dissuaded. I've had several Android tablets and none of them have come with tablet optimized applications that we wouldn't largely call bloatware. And as for Samsung's split-screen; they have made it nearly unusable and are a large reason I'm looking into this device. I liked their split screen before the 2014 edition, not at all now. I am not compelled to buy based on split screen either. It would be nice, but if it were a requirement, I'd look elsewhere instead of tarring this device.

As for the keyboard, the OP makes a valid point, and I think selling it based on some idea of productivity is why the press is so bad. If this is a Frankenstien (Chromestien?) that was built to be something other than what it is, then Google made a misstep in releasing it at all and should have held off. Still, I've read a number of reviews that call it the best Android tablet on the market.

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm really tired of hearing that their isn't any tablet optimized apps, this is a complete lie as there are many, how many of the same types of apps do you need. Plus, Android tablets don't run iOS, which requires app developers to manually set the resolution of the device their writing for as apps have independant resolution, which is just stupid by the way. This also gives the impression that they are tablet optimized apps which are in reality the same exact apps found in devices like the iPhone, just resized. I bought the iPad Pro before returning it for the Pixel C, it was just over sized iPad with to many issues to count. Anyway, I have every single app that I had installed onto the Pro now on my Pixel C, every single one, okay, not all, except for the music creation apps. By the way, over 80% of those apps didn't even support the iPad Pro's resolution because of that walled garden nonsense. When comparing the apps from the iPad Pro to the Pixel C, they looked pretty much identical, Flipboard, Feedly, Instagram, MS Office Mobile, Pocket Casts, VLC, Adobe Photoshop Touch, Art Rage, Snap Seed, etc. Except the Pixel C displayed them all at the native resolution. Andoid apps resize dynamically according to the resolution so apps look good on both a phone and tablet. Well, that is If an app is done right from the beginning, which the top 500 apps are and are really the only ones you would really want anyway. Now yes, there are a few apps that are specifically written for tablets like Pixelator for iOS, however they are far and few, work better on a desktop OS and Android has alternatives for them as well, I use Art Rage for example on my Pixel C and it works fantastically. So there are tablet apps for Android, lots of them, your just unwilling to do the research in finding them. I have found tablet optimized apps for every single task that I want to achomlpish on a tablet. Have you even used MS Office for Android, here is a list to get you started, once you start looking you will quickly find that your comment is completely based on ignorance of the platform your using. Unless your an iOS user who is just rolling.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Agree with relic74.

One more point I'd make ... For those people wishing the Pixel C came with Chrome OS ...

Chrome OS is a browser based environment, most "apps" in the webstore are merely links to the mobile website, e.g. MS Word, Instagram, Netflix.

If people complain about lack of tablet optimized apps, this implies they don't want to use the mobile website version (eg Instagram), otherwise they'd not be complaining (or maybe they would and say they prefer the app).

Either way, you can't state apps aren't well integrated for tablets in Android then in the next breath claim the Pixel C would've been better with Chrome OS since apps are pretty much nonexistent in their form as on AOSP.

The issue is people want "one device to rule them all" and that will take sometime ... And even if it does occur it'll be similar to how VDI or virtualization/containers have evolved and be more a port using some abstraction layer rather than anything native.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Only see this thread now but the OP is quite right. Because it landed with a keyboard, reviewers became obsessed with 'productivity' (I'd love a pound every time the word is mentioned in a Pixel C review). It was like tablets were for entertainment purposes right up until that point.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm really tired of hearing that their isn't any tablet optimized apps, this is a complete lie as there are many, how many of the same types of apps do you need. Plus, Android tablets don't run iOS, which requires app developers to manually set the resolution of the device their writing for as apps have independant resolution, which is just stupid by the way. This also gives the impression that they are tablet optimized apps which are in reality the same exact apps found in devices like the iPhone, just resized. I bought the iPad Pro before returning it for the Pixel C, it was just over sized iPad with to many issues to count. Anyway, I have every single app that I had installed onto the Pro now on my Pixel C, every single one, okay, not all, except for the music creation apps. By the way, over 80% of those apps didn't even support the iPad Pro's resolution because of that walled garden nonsense. When comparing the apps from the iPad Pro to the Pixel C, they looked pretty much identical, Flipboard, Feedly, Instagram, MS Office Mobile, Pocket Casts, VLC, Adobe Photoshop Touch, Art Rage, Snap Seed, etc. Except the Pixel C displayed them all at the native resolution. Andoid apps resize dynamically according to the resolution so apps look good on both a phone and tablet. Well, that is If an app is done right from the beginning, which the top 500 apps are and are really the only ones you would really want anyway. Now yes, there are a few apps that are specifically written for tablets like Pixelator for iOS, however they are far and few, work better on a desktop OS and Android has alternatives for them as well, I use Art Rage for example on my Pixel C and it works fantastically. So there are tablet apps for Android, lots of them, your just unwilling to do the research in finding them. I have found tablet optimized apps for every single task that I want to achomlpish on a tablet. Have you even used MS Office for Android, here is a list to get you started, once you start looking you will quickly find that your comment is completely based on ignorance of the platform your using. Unless your an iOS user who is just rolling.

Android sandbox apps are awesome and they natively scale. So cool!

WClark57

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Good on you for keying into the "any" in that statement. I should point out that people are referring to more than resolution when they state this, not that it makes them correct or anything. There clearly are optimized apps no matter how one splits the hair.

But one more angle that irritates me when I see this is the implication that the Pixel C is to be tarred because of the applications that they presume don't exist for tablets in the store.

I suppose if you were coming from the Apple ecosystem you might not know better, but I've tried the iPad and wasn't impressed by its apps. so I have little patience for this kind of thinking. I think the OP probably read it somewhere and was persuaded that it was a problem--the rule of primacy and all. I don't want the OP to think we're piling on him, just the idea.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Good on you for keying into the "any" in that statement. I should point out that people are referring to more than resolution when they state this, not that it makes them correct or anything. There clearly are optimized apps no matter how one splits the hair.

But one more angle that irritates me when I see this is the implication that the Pixel C is to be tarred because of the applications that they presume don't exist for tablets in the store.

I suppose if you were coming from the Apple ecosystem you might not know better, but I've tried the iPad and wasn't impressed by its apps. so I have little patience for this kind of thinking. I think the OP probably read it somewhere and was persuaded that it was a problem--the rule of primacy and all. I don't want the OP to think we're piling on him, just the idea.

iOS is terrible and so outdated. Screens of random icons is so pointless.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey