Touchscreen Issues

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
See YouTube post here:
https://youtu.be/XplgTK3ahL0
Not my post just same issue and same touch swapping between 1 and 2 touches

Upon unboxing, and auto-updating to 6.0.1 I had no issues.

I did set a boot loader password as well as enable developer options but didn't change any options.

The device ran fine for a few hours, then I powered it off and came back a day later.

Apps were updating and the device was plugged in, the top left (when held in landscape) got quite warm, and then I started experiencing the issues.

It's quite annoying and actually renders the tablet pretty useless imho.

I factory reset since I didn't have any customization at this point, since then its been fine and the tablet hasn't ran nearly as hot as that first day.

I did open a case with support, whom were very accommodating and noted I've had it for just a few days and we will monitor but they claim to have put a note that if the 14 day window passes that I get a exemption from the refurb policy and get a new device instead.

That all said, I've seen a few folks noting this on Reddit and various other outlets (ArsTechnia even noted it in their demo unit)... The optimist in me wants to blame software, but I'm debating just getting it replaced anyway.

Figured I'd start a separate thread in case folks find out what's going on or anyone has more definitive insight into if indeed it's a software, hardware, or combo issue.

Note that I've not set a boot loader password this time around nor enabled developer options since those were the only two "custom" things I did.

Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Could well be something physically wrong. Mine definitely isn't doing that. (With that same app or another tester.)

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks -- decided even if its a software defect worth the warranty support period to RMA it just in case it's hardware related.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I can say it recurred.

The problem appears to happen after the tablet is powered off for more than a few hours. Then once powering it back on, after about 3 minutes it starts having touchscreen issues with sensitivity and multitouch registering properly.

Replacement on way, under warranty luckily still.

rafosky

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I'm having the same issue. Mine was at 34 battery percent when all of a sudden went dead. So, I have to plug it to the charger and after I while I turned it on. And that's when I'm starting to have the same issues. Lags almost all the time and touchscreen issues. So, I did a factory reset and everything is OK. But since I read your comment that the issues started again after power it off, I decided to do the same to see if, in my case, it happens the same. And I called Google to let them know.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes that's the exact same sequence of events.

It also appears to be more prevalent when powered off, plugged in, and turned on.

I'm getting a new one Friday, others claim no issues but I really wonder if this isn't something else since I'm not sure many folks ever turn it off for long periods of time.

I would highly recommend folks try this sequence of steps before the warranty period ends to ensure if it is hardware they get new unit and not a refurbished one.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
In case anyone else has issues, over in the Google Product forums the following has been identified as a workaround:

(1) Change auto-rotate to landscape only
(2) Reboot

It appears as well to not present if you keep the tablet always on landscape, of at least ensure before putting the tablet down for long idle periods placing it back into landscape only mode.

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Definitely sounds like a software issue. I also noticed that booting into then back out of safe mode fixed it for me. This is good to know though. Thanks!

Get on it Google!

John Wiskowski

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Disabling auto-rotate and locking it to landscape has resolved 99% of my touch screen issues. I had an issue where the tablet wouldn't turn on (it finally did) but I had Google send me a replacement. I have a feeling the issues are firmware/software based and the replacement won't be much better. However, I will give the new one a try.

In general I love the Pixel C, and when it works it is amazing. So far, since I ordered the replacement unit today, it hasn't shown signs of any issues. (Of course!)

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, I got a replacement, it seemed less buggy, but eventually I got a touchscreen issue, a cache wipe cleared it and haven't had one since but I too am locked in landscape.

I too had one, "wouldn't turn on" that required a long press of the power button.

John Wiskowski

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Still undecided if I should bother with the replacement unit. At this point, I wish I hadn't requested one. I might look at the serial number and see if it looks vastly newer.

As of the last 24-hours, leaving it in landscape mode and after a good cache wipe, no issues are present. It resumes from sleep fine.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Since locking it into landscape seems to be a fix, I really do hope it's just a software issue. I also hope if that's the case, they'll bring out an update soon. I do a lot of PDF reading which benefits most from portrait. Keeping in landscape just isn't going to work in the long run.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The wake issues tend to present, as have almost all the issues I've seen except the WiFi, when the Pixel C is dormant for a long period of time ... Which has led me to suspect Doze perhaps as a culprit.

I don't doubt these are all software bugs as I doubt AOSP was very much optimized for the Pixel C hardware given the theories on the web about Chrome OS and the push to get it out.

It's a great 10" tablet, with typical (although not justified) early adoption bugs ... That said, FWIW, I use my Pixel more each day and am enjoying it more, just wish I could get rid of the looming threats of issues as I find I'm overly cautious in an effort to not instigate issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21